JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
gonna start reloading for my 357 so i am looking for a little advice on powder charges
i picked up a # of 2400 and a box of 158gr xtp's
looks like alot of people like 14.5gr of 2400 under that bullet so i figure i will start a little under that.
also picked up a box of 125gr xtp's, i have titegroup on hand also so i will most likely use this for those, after the box of 125's is gone through i am gonna go with just strictly 158's but as for the 125's and titegroup i will probably start right around 7gr

loading for a 2.25" sp101

this is my stockpile ammo for just incase, i use critcal defense for sd and buffalo bore 180's for my hunting sidearm.

I've only just recently acquired a chronograph and shot some 158xtp/2400 loads over it.

Memory is fuzzy, I think I was getting about 1100-1150 out of the sp101 with 13.5-14.0 gr. Faster than I expected going by the book.

As far as I can tell, standard primers are fine for 2400 (those loads I shot had standard primers)

I gained 50 or so fps going to a 4" 686 and saw close 1400 fps out of my marlin with 14.5gr. :s0155:

also wondering if i should use magnum or standard primers i have both in cci
i read alot of mixed reviews on that

If you are loading "Magnum Loads" then definitely use magnum primers. The Standard Primers may not hold up to the increased pressure and you'll end up with pierced primers. The standards may be OK for reduced loads but definitely NOT for use with a full power magnum load. The Magnum primers have thicker cups, not unlike a rifle primer, they just fit the standard pistol primer pocket.

I have found it best to keep tight group at a max charge of 5 grains.

my max load for my 686, 4" is 15.3 grains of 2400 (158 swc) with a magnum primer gives me 1348.5 afps

same load at 14 grains of 2400 is 1145.60 afps.

For a 125 grain Speer/Federal hollow point, 8.5 grains of bullseye makes it go 1327.8 afps. It does not take much to get a 125 grain bullet to go really fast. Call Alliant for a catolog, or buy a reloading book.

Not worth the extra powder out of a 2" barrel so drop your charge weights down a bit and test.

Now thesse are my loads, go get some published data and have fun.

For a 125 grain Speer/Federal hollow point, 8.5 grains of bullseye makes it go 1327.8 afps. It does not take much to get a 125 grain bullet to go really fast. Call Alliant for a catolog, or buy a reloading book.

Years ago when I still had my 686 with 6" bbl I used to load 17.7 gr of 2400 under a Hornady 125gr JHP. I swore my right arm was 2" shorter after a shooting session with that load. It appears that Alliant has "wimped out" a little on that load and now list it as 17.5 gr max. I never had any issues with that load, magnum primers and all. I got at least 4 reloads from the cases but then it was a little hard to read the headstamps ;) Cases still extracted fine with no bulges or splits. Just hurt more than lesser loads. Sure was accurate too. I could make little cloverleafs at 100 yards when shooting from a rest with that combination.

In a fit of stupidity I sold that pistol and am now a "semi auto guy". That's the only firearm I've ever missed after selling it.

I use 13.3 grains of 2400 with 158 XTP and CCI magnum primers I get about 1180 fps in my 627 and 1625 in my Marlin 1894C. I once read that a magnum primer is about equivilent to .2 grains of powder. Afew years back Alliant showed magnum primers for their .357 magnum loads online. I emailed asking why the magnum primers and the response I received was essentialy because was what they had on the shelf when they did the testing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top