Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ALERT! WA Ceasefire to push Open Carry ban in 2012 !!!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

xm193 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

I knew it was only a matter of time before the dominoes started falling from Kalifornia.

3. Markjz

Markjz Longview, WA Member

not so easy here, we have state constitutional protections and court rulings to back it up. CA did not

4. morroad8

morroad8 North Bonneville, WA Member

Ohh jeez, darn Kali! I open carry everyday even though I have a CWP. I fully support the 2nd ammendment and all other state and local laws that follow in it's footsteps. Too many American soldiers died to keep our country free to keep ALL our rights; I will not let 5,000 mis-informed people take them away. Whats next? Freedom of speech? Ohh wait, Happy Holidays since I can't say Merry Christmas...it insults people so i should "limit" my freedom there too. But hats probably what my kids will have to put up with when I have them (im 22, do not want kids yet haha).

5. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

How do security companies get around that passage in the constitution??

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.’

6. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

It just means that they have to be employed by a security company and licensed by the state to be able to carry a firearm. I learned that the minute I put on a security uniform, I couldn't carry a firearm anymore (at least until I got an armed license). But now that I'm a corrections officer, I don't even need a CHP anymore.

RCW 9.41.300

7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well someone please put out the reasons we need open carry,since I support it but don't see an advantage of it.
    I do not want it to go away and I need the reasons it shouldn't. Other than the second amendment

PinoyBoy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. nubus

nubus Guest

It should not be a crime if I bend over to pick something up and my gun is exposed. If you are under 21 and you cannot get a CPL, you should not be denied the right to carry. If you simply don't feel like filling out the paperwork for a CPL, you should not be denied the right to carry. If you are offended/intimidated by anyone who does open carry I suggest you get over it.

chris61182 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Washington a open carry state until someone complains and calls the police then you get ticketed? Isn't this what happened to the guy in the safeway store about a year ago?

If that's the case then it would make this bill pointless.

10. John H

John H Whatcom County Well-Known Member

Wrong

11. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

Both people that I know of recently that were ticketed were making quite the scene of open carrying hence the "menacing" charges or whatever they were.

California's passing of the open carry ban was actually a good thing in a way. It is forcing the issuance of concealed permits where before they were only issued to "special" people. I'm not for any anti-laws but the most of the pro 2A people in Kali seemed to be happy with it

12. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Remember Kurt Kirby?

13. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

That isn't happening yet either, not till it goes to court and they're forced to issue them.

14. 22many

Do you have a link to back this up or am I just suppose to believe you when you say "wrong"?

Also, I pretty sure Oregon doesn't have a "brandishing" law. Instead I do believe that they call it "menacing". Is this correct for Washington also?

15. 22many

Thank you wakejoe. Couldn't quite remember the guys name. A quick google search confirmed that that is who I was talking about.

16. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Northwest activists take Ceasefire threat seriously

Washington State gun rights activists are taking seriously – for the most part, anyway – a threat by Washington Ceasefire to go after open carry when the Legislature convenes in January, because the practice bothers then, and it can be portrayed as offensive to a large segment of the public, including some gun owners.

Most Northwest activists take Ceasefire threat seriously - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

17. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Wrong.

What are you going to get ticketed for? What law are you breaking? What is the offense written on the ticket?

I OC frequently in WA and have in OR as well since I cant legally CC when I am there.

18. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I heard about this story...happened over a year ago. Person that called it in basically stated that he was "brandishing" the firearm...police had to come and investigate.

Tried to find it on Google and the other gun forum I read the story on....even had the 9-1-1 tape. Just someone freeking out over a dude open carrying.

19. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

If I remember right there was more to it than that. Kirby was accused of keeping a "ready to draw" like stance. Without being there it's hard to say how it went down

Vancouver open-carry defendent takes diversion deal | Crime | Vancouver News

20. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

All the info you need right here
    Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

As long as you aren't being a dumb bubblegum then you are fine. The guy from Vancouver had a run in with the police earlier in the week for the same thing. He was trying his luck at being a bad a$$ and the people at a pizza joint called the cops. He did the same thing at a Safeway.

He is a bad example of open carry.You just can't walk around with your hand on your gun like the cops do.People will obviously call for that.