JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a little while, one of my neighbors in the apartment complex was also the local UPS driver. I was getting pretty regular deliveries of "sporting goods" of various calibers. The UPS boxes are labled in a general way. We were chatting one day, I don't remember the conversation but along the way he said "yea, Im not a gun guy". I carried on like I didn't hear or whatever. A little later he worked that into the conversation again. This time I just said 'oh', in a non committal way. He has since moved away but it dawned on me later that he certainly knew I was and was maybe curious about being ' a gun guy'. Still, I generally keep to myself, don't usually volunteer information in a casual conversation.

Just the way this went down I thought the guy was fishing.
Trust your intuition.
In contrast, dumbarse me -- FedEx driver (they are all subcontractors now) sees me sorting brass on the driveway with the tumbler running beside me.
Him: "You tumbling rocks?"
Me : No, I shoot a lot, sorting my brass to reload ammunition.
<his face kind of falls> I clear my throat and think, "SJW."
Someone's always here, and they'll need a crane to get some of this schtuff out. Besides, they're just things.

Ammo boxes by law must have ORM-D on the box. The drivers know what they are because of the size to weight ratio.

My wife's makeup she orders on-line has ORM-D marked on the box, so maybe its just 20 pounds of lip gloss? Meet the UPS guy in ruby red lip gloss a few times and you will throw them of the trail.

1588467535460.png

My old UPS driver delivered in my very rural area - farm/lake country, back east, for a LONG, long time. He was a good man, responsible, respectful and NICE. He was handsome too! LOL

He saw one of my late husband's boats in our driveway for sale (Sign posted and an ad in a free paper.) and asked me about it. He said that he would be at our house the next day after he got off work since he wanted to buy it. He did not try to get a lower price, both of us knew sail and power boats and I always did the SALE dealings/talking instead of my late husband 99% of the time, and he paid CASH for it - just under $10,000. We went to my local library in a small village 2.5 miles away to get a free notary public signature.

The UPS man handed me the cash which I counted twice after he counted it to me, papers were signed, bill of sale, clear title and my husband asked me to take it to the bank and deposit it. All of us went back to my house, we had some coffee, we double checked the cover that it was snapped down tight, checked the goodies that I threw in with the sale, gave him the boat book, and checked all of the lights after he hooked it up to his vehicle. The driver always told me how much he loved that boat and how well we always took care of our things.

The UPS driver bought some things from me after my late husband died too. He and his wife came over to my house when I conducted my moving sale, estate sale, house, garage and barn sale. He told me if he had known about my late husband's BMW RT 800(?) MC with the BOXER ENGINE before that time frame that he would have bought it immediately too. I did not hire any person to do the sale or any auction house. I did have a friend and another super close friend - retired chief deputy right below the sheriff to be there with me for 'protection' and to help me MOVE some things too. He and his LE kids helped MOVE some more things with their younger/stronger bodies from the second floor and full basement. His wife brought a couple of nice dinners to me too. We were involved with the Volunteer FD/EMT in one way or the other. (My late husband had asked them to help me BEFORE he died of cancer but they were going to do this anyway. He was worried about me being alone doing a sale.)

The UPS man did ask me if I had any guns for sale but I had already sold and gifted a couple and the rest were coming out west with me. So he KNEW that I had guns - far MORE than my late husband ever owned, we did have RKBA discussions - he was an old fashioned conservative, but I never had any ammunition delivered to my house. My late husband and I never reloaded. I did get a few things from a couple of gun RELATED companies delivered to the house but NO ammo.

I realize that not ALL drivers were like MY old driver but I did want to throw that in here. He was a good man. Everyone LIKED him and his good work ethics!

Cate

My wife's makeup she orders on-line has ORM-D marked on the box, so maybe its just 20 pounds of lip gloss? Meet the UPS guy in ruby red lip gloss a few times and you will throw them of the trail.

View attachment 692229

I wonder why they would mark a make up box like that?

Alcohol or something else is in it that might explode?

Cate

I wonder why they would mark a make up box like that?

Alcohol or something else is in it that might explode?

Cate
A lot of stuff has to have that label. There is a list somewhere on their site I never pay attention too. Think flammables is one. When I buy gun cleaner spray from Amazon it's ORM-D Another one that is becoming a problem is the one for batteries. It tells thieves there is electronic stuff in the boxes.

I
So I recently came into a pretty neat 22-250 and wanted to get it sighted in and shot. You know the feeling, new gun, cant wait. So I made a couple of dangerous trips out of the house, plague you know, and each place I went to pick up ammo had the folks lined up outside. It wasn't ammo I needed to survive, just ammo for fun. So I went home, jumped on line and ordered a couple of boxes. Well it arrived about 5 days later and I happened to be out front when the delivery guy showed up. He hops out and hands me my ammo and says, real casual like, a guy about 23 to 28 I'd guess, "Wow man are you a shooter? Thinking quickly on my feet I said I was getting them for my brothers birthday. As you know they put labels on ammo shipments so everyone along the delivery line knows what's inside. Due to the plague the folks running delivery services are overwhelmed and are hiring anyone with a drivers license that passes a drug screen. Like most folksEveerested in people knowing what I have. Just the way this went down I thought the guy was fishing.

Ups Is very very bad for for this . called target sports when they switched to ups. A survey later was sent out to customers I might not have been the
only caller. Target is I mostly buy only from them now. Even if it cost a little more

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top