JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sounds like what i went through a few years back a slight taper to the new set.
you need to remove the FCG and hit it that way to get enough ooomph to get it out,
the new set wood or plastic??
where it was stuck should now have a line i used a sander to remove the slight taper and whopse there it is right in no problem.

ive had stocks stick just like that.aks, hks and cetme rifles.ive had decent results by hitting/banging the stock with downward/angled blows.sometimes by hand others with a rubber mallet.best of luck....

Two things.

1) There is some variation from rifle to rifle and stock to stock. Don't expect the holes to line up. If they don't just fill the old holes with wood and glue and drill new ones in the correct place.

2) The sides of the stock aren't supposed to touch the rear of the receiver. There should be a gap of around 1mm so the receiver doesn't split the wood under recoil. The stock should only rest against the trunnion. I'll try to post a pic later.

H

+1 all of the above. Plus, part of your problem is that you have only two hands. This job requires four. If you have no one to help you, you need a bench vise. Remove the gas tube and lower fore grip, and clam the barrel between the gas block and front trunion. Cut a couple of rectangular pieces of wood place them between the barrel and the vise clamps to protect its finish or wrap it with a large piece of terry cloth. Remove the fire control group and hammer the bubblegum out of the butt stock from the inside of the receiver. I have installed several stock to AK receivers and I've to "adjust" (sand) each one to the receiver.

You can see the gap on mine. Not as extreme as yours, but it's there.

No tricks to getting the FCG back in except the big end of the punch used to strip the bolt can be used as a slave pin for reassembling the hammer and trigger. A pair of forceps helps too.

H

IMG_1286.jpg

On this page from the armory drawings you can see the gap that's specified as well as where the stock is secured into the rear trunnion.

646301.jpg

Take a wood block and place it on the inside of the receiver next to the end of the stock and whack it with a hammer to get the stock out. Then, take a couple of swipes on each side of the stock to fit it to your receiver. Most furniture needs to be fitted on AKs.

Edit: you don't have to take the FCG out to do this but you may have to hit the wood block quite hard few times.

Thanks keith, I doubt i will ever sell this rifle but i have kept the original stock just in case.

At the moment im wanting to install a red bakalite romanian made pistol grip to the rifle, but im wondering if the black plastic pistol grip that is installed at the moment counts as one of the 10 US made parts?
Also im looking for a good gunsmith in the beaverton/hillsboro area who could thread the muzzle on this rifle so i can attach a muzzle device
Thanks james

You need six US made parts. Your rifle's probably are: FCG(3), receiver, pistol grip, and gas piston. If it had a muzzle break, then, that could count as one, too. To remain 922r compliant, wait until you thread the barrel, get a US made muzzle break, and then get the grip you want. Another route is to get only US made magazines and ditch your surplus mags, or, "upgrade" you surplus mags with US made followers.

Most US made pistol grips look awful. If you are open to it, check Hogue's. I put one to my RomyG. Oh, it feels so good!!

For barrel threading, the only local place I can recommend (I know of no one else) is Tornado Tech. Excellent work, fair priced, great ethics. They take work from all over. And that leads us to the downside: very long wait times. They've threaded 4 of my firearms. The fourth I had to pick up after a waiting for 6 weeks and went with an aftermarket threaded barrel. Check with them before you commit to leave the rifle. They are pretty good at estimating the wait times.

For barrel threading, the only local place I can recommend (I know of no one else) is Tornado Tech. Excellent work, fair priced, great ethics. They take work from all over. And that leads us to the downside: very long wait times. They've threaded 4 of my firearms. The fourth I had to pick up after a waiting for 6 weeks and went with an aftermarket threaded barrel. Check with them before you commit to leave the rifle. They are pretty good at estimating the wait times.

Or you could have Rodger at Relavation Arms do the work. He's faster but you'll have to pay twice, once for the work and the second time to pay a competent smith to fix what Rodger fubared, plus the cost of the parts he ruined.

Mike may take longer but the job will be right the first time.

H

You need six US made parts. Your rifle's probably are: FCG(3), receiver, pistol grip, and gas piston. If it had a muzzle break, then, that could count as one, too. To remain 922r compliant, wait until you thread the barrel, get a US made muzzle break, and then get the grip you want. Another route is to get only US made magazines and ditch your surplus mags, or, "upgrade" you surplus mags with US made followers.

Most US made pistol grips look awful. If you are open to it, check Hogue's. I put one to my RomyG. Oh, it feels so good!!

Without the threaded barrel, the SAR only needs 5 US compliant parts. They would be marked with a 'C' (for Century) and would be the trigger group, pg and piston. The receiver is Romanian. Adding threading would bump the compliance parts count to 6 and require that the muzzle device be US made. Unless an additional US part were added, like a buttstock or foregrip, the pg must remain US made. If the OP opts to use only US made magazines or foreign mags with a US made follower or bottom plate, then he could add the a Romanian pg, but to remain legal, this would eliminate the use of foreign mags in this rifle.

James, many service AKs have no muzzle device, and having one on a semi rifle is really for looks anyway. You could leave this one as is and get a later WASR with a threaded muzzle and have both styles.

Keith

Last Edited:
Hi Keith, Thats a very good point, The Rifle shoots great without a muzzle device, I do just want to add one for cosmetic reasons, I would like to be able to install the Bakalite pistolgrip and remain 922r compliant.

I like the idea of buying another AK so i can have both styles! I just hope my wife understands!

To be sure you understand 922r, adding the threading and US made muzzle device to a rifle without original threading will not mean that you can add a foreign pg. It merely means that your rifle, which was compliant with 5 US parts, must now have 6 US parts to be compliant. In order to add the Romanian bakelite grip, you must select another part that is currently of foreign manufacture, like the buttstock, the forestock, or any part of a magazine, and swap it out with a US part.

Romo rifles are pretty cool :) . I'd recommend a PSL and an AES-10B to round out the collection. And a 1pn34 night vision device. And...

Keith

Hi James,

Yup, adding US made followers or floorplates to surplus mags and you are good to go with your Romo PG. You'll need to use those modified mags with the rifle exclusively, though. I have done the same thing with an NHM 91 that I converted into a Russian RPK. It doesn't have enough parts to be legal when using an unmodified mag. Not a big deal though.

Here's a doozy for you...you can use an unmodified Romo drum too. A normal mag has three countable parts, but a drum doesn't have a floorplate, only a body and 'follower' (kinda) so the rifle's total parts count drops by one when using the drum. Doesn't 922r make such good sense ;) ?

Keith

Or, if you are so inclined, you could replace the gas piston with a US made one, which is what I had to do for my 5.45x39 Tantal. I could not find 5.45x39 followers or floorplates back then (maybe now?). In your case, you can go either way. Replacing the gas piston is not hard to do. Takes an angle grinder, a punch, a hammer and about 30-45 minutes of your time. Touch up the bolt carrier with cold blue of your choice. I use Oxpho Blue for pretty much everything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top