Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK47 STOCK FIT

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by james83, Oct 16, 2011.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi, just wondering if anyone on here can help me with a problem with my AK47 type rifle.

I have a new Romainian SAR-1 AK47 Varient i got from a forum member here, The rifle functions great, But the wood furniture are kinda ugly so i decided to change them out for a better looking set of furniture. The dimensions of the original furniture and new furniture are the same.

But while trying to install the new stock i have run into a problem.

The new stock is almost fitted into the reciever but the last 2mm will not go into place,
    The screw holes are almost lined up correctly but no matter how much hammering i do the holes will just not line up, I cant get the stock out again, broke three screwdrivers trying, the stock is stuck solid. The holes in the buttstock are only 1mm away from lining up with the holes in the reciever but they just wont move!

Anybody here changed out the furniture on their AK'S before?

Am I just not hitting/hammering on the stock hard enough?

Any help would be great!

Thanks -james

2. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

sounds like what i went through a few years back a slight taper to the new set.
    you need to remove the FCG and hit it that way to get enough ooomph to get it out,
    the new set wood or plastic??
    where it was stuck should now have a line i used a sander to remove the slight taper and whopse there it is right in no problem.

3. james83

Hi, Saxon thanks for the reply. Im sorry I'am a newbie when it comes to semi-auto rifles ...FCG? thats means fire control group? like the trigger mechcanism?

Yes the new stock is wood, The fore grip and gas cover (wood) fit fine, but the buttstock just wont go into place. Yes it appears to be getting caught on something, it is almost lined up with the holes in the rear of the reciever but it just wont budge that last 1mm.

I cant get the buttstock out of the reciever now its stuck solid, I've broken three screwdrivers trying to pry it back out

4. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

ive had stocks stick just like that.aks, hks and cetme rifles.ive had decent results by hitting/banging the stock with downward/angled blows.sometimes by hand others with a rubber mallet.best of luck....

5. james83

Thanks for the reply cetme, I was starting to think my rifle stock was the only one with this problem as every video i have tried looking up online, The stock appears to just slide right in place. Yep this one is well and truly stuck solid. I've tried hammering on it with a rubbermallet, by hand, and a regular steel hammer (using the old stock to cushion the blows). Some of the new stock on the butt around where the stockplate fits is actually starting to break due to the amount of hammering i've done

Its proving to be pretty stubborn. Guess i'll give it another try

Thanks -james

6. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Two things.

1) There is some variation from rifle to rifle and stock to stock. Don't expect the holes to line up. If they don't just fill the old holes with wood and glue and drill new ones in the correct place.

2) The sides of the stock aren't supposed to touch the rear of the receiver. There should be a gap of around 1mm so the receiver doesn't split the wood under recoil. The stock should only rest against the trunnion. I'll try to post a pic later.

H

7. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

+1 all of the above. Plus, part of your problem is that you have only two hands. This job requires four. If you have no one to help you, you need a bench vise. Remove the gas tube and lower fore grip, and clam the barrel between the gas block and front trunion. Cut a couple of rectangular pieces of wood place them between the barrel and the vise clamps to protect its finish or wrap it with a large piece of terry cloth. Remove the fire control group and hammer the bubblegum out of the butt stock from the inside of the receiver. I have installed several stock to AK receivers and I've to "adjust" (sand) each one to the receiver.

8. saxon

FCG yes fire control group take it all out then hit it from inside to dislodge it

9. james83

Thanks for the great infomation everyone.

Sadly i've gotta head out to work now, but im gonna take another look at the rifle tonight, I'll try to get some pictures of the fit and hole alighnment uploaded.

If anybody could post pics of their stock to receiver fits that would be great

thanks-james

10. james83

012-1.jpg

011-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

My camera aint the best so these are the best pictures i could take of the stock fit i its current state.

I have a few spare hours to work on it so im gonna give it another try, the stock is wedged in there solid it will not move forward or back.

As advised i guess im gonna have to remove the FCG to try and remove the stock, Im a little nervous about doing this as i have never removed one before.

As advised i guess there will be a mark on the stock were it is sticking/catching on the receiver, I figure if i can get the stock free from the receiver i can take it to work with me and use a belt sander too remove any taper from the stock (taking the whole stock and reciever to work is not an option)

I live in an apartment so i do not have any 'garage workshop' space, which means no vice to clamp it in place, I do have a roomate who is almost as good as a vice i guess haha

Once i have removed the FCG are there any special armourers tools required for getting it back in place?

Thanks

11. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

You can see the gap on mine. Not as extreme as yours, but it's there.

No tricks to getting the FCG back in except the big end of the punch used to strip the bolt can be used as a slave pin for reassembling the hammer and trigger. A pair of forceps helps too.

H

IMG_1286.jpg

On this page from the armory drawings you can see the gap that's specified as well as where the stock is secured into the rear trunnion.

646301.jpg

12. james83

Hi halmbarte, Thanks for all the info. Im playing around with the stock now and it definatly will not pry out of place (i knew it wouldnt but thought i'd give it one last try)

Im really not looking forward to removing the FCG, Im pretty sure i'll be able to remove but im not confident on getting it back in place.

I guess my only other option is i just try to re-drill the holes while the stock is already in place and just live with the space between the stock and reciever.

I dont really want to take the rifle to a gunsmith because i just dont have any spare cash left

Oh well guess i should try and remove the FGC

Thank you for your help

13. saxon

14. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

Have you tried any lubricant, WD40 or Breakfree?

15. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

Take a wood block and place it on the inside of the receiver next to the end of the stock and whack it with a hammer to get the stock out. Then, take a couple of swipes on each side of the stock to fit it to your receiver. Most furniture needs to be fitted on AKs.

Edit: you don't have to take the FCG out to do this but you may have to hit the wood block quite hard few times.

16. james83

104.jpg

009-2.jpg

Hey everyone just wanted to say thanks for all the info and advice

Finally got the stock fit and the rifle reassembled

Turns out the original stock was over a 1mm thinner

The FCG went back together easily although getting the shepards crook pin back in place took quite a while

Thought i would post a before and after picture of the rifle, Im happy with its new look

And thanks again to everyone for their help

Its great to be part of this forum!

-James

17. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

james83 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. james83

I have been looking at these, Im definatly going to get one, That hook was a real pain too get back in place

19. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

James,

Don't chuck the old stock. Although the new one looks better, a collector will want the original.

Keith

20. james83

Thanks keith, I doubt i will ever sell this rifle but i have kept the original stock just in case.

At the moment im wanting to install a red bakalite romanian made pistol grip to the rifle, but im wondering if the black plastic pistol grip that is installed at the moment counts as one of the 10 US made parts?

Also im looking for a good gunsmith in the beaverton/hillsboro area who could thread the muzzle on this rifle so i can attach a muzzle device

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith for me?

Thanks james