JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
now I work in Medical Electronics
over the years I've collected many interesting item of medical imaging technology
including the 12 ton magnet off a 1986 GE dual gas super cooled MRI, from Oxford, England
sits in my south field - you can see it from Google Earth
don't ask how I got a 12 ton magnet out to my farm - a looong story
soo - one day I was bored - wanted to find out what happens when I fired a full mag from my AK into a 12 ton GE MRI magnet - 2400 lbs of stainless steel, copper and ceramic
slow fire - 28 rnds
not PING or CLANG - just a dull THUD - the bullets folded and fell to the ground
Russian 7.62x39 FMJ - 1500 lbs of energy
just a THUD

look at the photo - between the 6x6 and the wooden steps - which were not there when I shot at the magnet - see those black dots - the 7.62mm ones

just - THUD

RJMT

MRI.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the reason steel tings as far as i know is because steel targets are thin. So they vibrate when struck. Considering the mass of that magnet i dont think even a 50 bmg could get a "ting" out of it

thats the problem - the copper wire is imbedded in ceramic
and that is why I have it - none of the metal recyclers in Portland were able to figuer out how to get the copper out
the hospital had to pay to have it removed and it ended up in my field
if any of you had an MRI back in the '80s in Portland, you know what hospital this was - there was only one in '86
had locals stop by for years and ask what it was - hard to explain to locals what an MRI was, so I took the tubing off the cold head, ran it into an old Coors pony keg and told them it was a home brewery - LOLLL
easier than trying to explain the physics of a 1.5 Tesla dual gas super cooled magnet

and in case of a EMP pulse from a North Korean thermo nuclear blast - I know where to hide!!!

RJMT

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads