JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What's your favorite AIWB + Spare Mag Holster (Single Stack Subcompacts)

• Trex Arms Sidecar

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • TXC Holsters Ally

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Tier1 Concealed Axis

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Please post about this brand)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Open Carry (God Bless You.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Detached

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Looking for a little help in the endless struggle that is the holster search. (Like a lot of us...I have returned / sold / given away a lot to slim down the pile). I have a few holsters but have yet to buy an AIWB + spare mag rig from these three; highly praised manufacturers in the poll. If you would like - please explain after you vote. Prefer Jhooks on most of my holsters, but any suggestions on hooking these rigs (JHook/Ulticlip) are greatly welcomed!

Thanks everyone & Hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather in the Northwest today.

(If this type of thread has already been started / poll ran - please notify me and I will remove this).

I've asked this question a number of times on several different forums...and I have yet to hear a good answer.

I don't understand sidecar holsters. I'm truly not knocking them. I'm simply trying to understand what are the benefits of physically attaching the mag pouch to the holster? And specifically, what does this do better than placing a stand alone holster and stand alone mag pouch in the same positions? If anything, I would think the stand alone units would be more desirable because you could place each one exactly where you wanted it.

Plus when you physically attach the mag pouch to the holster it may prevent the holster from rotating/tucking in along the body line...although I realize Tier 1 seems to have overcome this potential problem with their flexible attachment system.

So again I will ask...why do you want you mag pouch attached? What benefit does it do for you that can't be achieved with separate stand alone units? :)

I've asked this question a number of times on several different forums...and I have yet to hear a good answer.

I don't understand sidecar holsters. I'm truly not knocking them. I'm simply trying to understand what are the benefits of physically attaching the mag pouch to the holster? And specifically, what does this do better than placing a stand alone holster and stand alone mag pouch in the same positions? If anything, I would think the stand alone units would be more desirable because you could place each one exactly where you wanted it.

Plus when you physically attach the mag pouch to the holster it may prevent the holster from rotating/tucking in along the body line...although I realize Tier 1 seems to have overcome this potential problem with their flexible attachment system.

So again I will ask...why do you want you mag pouch attached? What benefit does it do for you that can't be achieved with separate stand alone units? :)
Not an advocate, don't own one, no dog in the fight... But the few I've looked at were pretty streamlined and could be perceived as reducing bulk. I think...

Having said that, I carry reloads weak side, like most do, and see an issue needing to use your dominant hand to fetch a reload... Or need to use your weak hand to cross over to retrieve the reload...

I don't know, but I intend to find out and caulk it up as another investment.

Case in point, I have a Rem 870P that I have about 11 maybe even 13+ bills into (I honestly don't know), no optics, that money was not spent on the gun, it was spent on the education received along the way.

Last Edited:

I tried a Trex arms sidecar.

Things it did well:

More stability from rotation. The grip was always where I knew it would be.

Easy on-easy off. 1 less step than attaching multiple things.

Very fast draw.

Things it didn't do well:

Comfort - Felt like having a dinner plate in my pants.

Printing- because it isn't custom fit to your specific body, the effect of the "claw" tucking the grip into your gut is negated by the mag pouch trying to pull it away.

The holster makers that connect them with a flexible strap probably get the best od both words, but this time around I decided to try a split system (Vedder light tuck) so I can carry strongside IWB if I choose.

I tried a Trex arms sidecar.

Things it did well:

More stability from rotation. The grip was always where I knew it would be.

Easy on-easy off. 1 less step than attaching multiple things.

Very fast draw.

Things it didn't do well:

Comfort - Felt like having a dinner plate in my pants.

Printing- because it isn't custom fit to your specific body, the effect of the "claw" tucking the grip into your gut is negated by the mag pouch trying to pull it away.

The holster makers that connect them with a flexible strap probably get the best od both words, but this time around I decided to try a split system (Vedder light tuck) so I can carry strongside IWB if I choose.

Thank you !;)

Tenicor Velo with the T1 belt clips is hands down the best AIWB holster, I've used and experimented with quite a few different appendix rigs and have been carrying appendix since 2011. I HATE the one piece pistol+spare mag holsters like the Trex sidecar, its pretty much a gimmicky range only holster not very well suited for EDC use...try going to the restroom and taking a leak with it a few times a day and it gets quite annoying. Also the best IWB spare mag pouch I've found that works very well with appendix carry is the Persec Systems MARCC (magazine appendix reverse cant carrier)

Also not to mention, Tenicor is local PNW from Kenmore, WA. The owner is an instructor for Insights training and an LE/SWAT guy.

I tried a sidecar and didn't much care for it. Unless your body is the same shape as the sidecar's contour it's probably going to be uncomfortable, as it was for me. On a friend's recommendation I picked up a Tier 1 Agis and have never looked back. I find the Agis to be very comfortable and, more importantly, incredibly stable, which has sometimes been a problem for me with other holsters when using a belt that isn't very stiff. On a side note - I've never really had a problem with the Agis when using the restroom, but maybe I carry the holster higher on my waist than others (YMMV).

I tried a sidecar and didn't much care for it. Unless your body is the same shape as the sidecar's contour it's probably going to be uncomfortable, as it was for me. On a friend's recommendation I picked up a Tier 1 Agis and have never looked back. I find the Agis to be very comfortable and, more importantly, incredibly stable, which has sometimes been a problem for me with other holsters when using a belt that isn't very stiff. On a side note - I've never really had a problem with the Agis when using the restroom, but maybe I carry the holster higher on my waist than others (YMMV).

I agree, probably better off with separate rigs, if they are joined it should be with a flexible material. I have used that mag pouch I linked above along with two opposite hand holster, LH holster at 11 o'clock, LH single mag pouch at 12 o'clock, buckle at 12:30 and RH holster at 1 o'clock. No problem using the restroom either and still intact.

Tenicor Velo with the T1 belt clips is hands down the best AIWB holster, I've used and experimented with quite a few different appendix rigs and have been carrying appendix since 2011. I HATE the one piece pistol+spare mag holsters like the Trex sidecar, its pretty much a gimmicky range only holster not very well suited for EDC use...try going to the restroom and taking a leak with it a few times a day and it gets quite annoying. Also the best IWB spare mag pouch I've found that works very well with appendix carry is the Persec Systems MARCC (magazine appendix reverse cant carrier)

Also not to mention, Tenicor is local PNW from Kenmore, WA. The owner is an instructor for Insights training and an LE/SWAT guy.

Thank you for this. I felt the sidecar looked quite gimmicky when I saw one at the range...Appreciate the heads up, and the suggestions on the Tenicor. Going to check it out.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top