JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hunting and fishing in my day was fantastic. You had a limit of 3 silver salmon so when you went out it was worth the trip.

Special deer tags were issued for areas newly planted with trees and you could harvest 2 deer.

Lots of Elk and bear hunting was a riot.

Lakes full of fish and the bays full of crabs.

Population was a lot smaller and most didn't want to hunt and fish.
Yeah. When I was a kid in the late seventies and early '80s I think there were around 350,000 people in the entire metro area. Wikipedia says it's closer to 3.5 million now. I couldn't stand it anymore I had to get out of there. It has changed so much. Not for the better.

I still have a lot of Federal 550rd bulk pack that was $8.88/box.

People use to make fun of me for throwing 1-2 in the grocery cart every week back in the mid-'90's.
Husband used to do the same thing. 550 packs at Wal-Mart for $8.86. I snickered at him. Not so funny now but we still have boxes of it and it shoots great.

I remember 6 bucks a brick at the Monument store, my cousin and I would burn nearly a brick a day during the best of the sage rat hunting. my uncle had 600 acres of alfalfa and would buy a brick a day as long as he thought we were killing rats. we killed a lot of rats!!!

The Mini Mags were always the high dollar stuff. Top shelf. CCI did make about the most Dependable ammo I've ever seen I think they still do for a 22
I remember the mid '70's when White Elephant had the 500 packs of CCI Mini-Mags for $9.99 and the Blazers for $7.99. Being broke college students, we usually opted for the Blazers, reserving the expensive hollow points for "special occasions" which usually involved ground squirrels.

Husband's grandfather, Roy, would give him a quarter and he'd walk down the board walk in Teneha, TX about 3 stores down to the hardware store to buy a box of 50 .22 longs. When Roy was done at the cafe' they would go sit on the back porch and shoot armadillos that would stroll into the tomato patch. Probably about '51 or '52.

Yep. Gosh white elephant I forgot about that. In Beaverton we also had the wigwam. It even had an Indian brave painted right on the false front wall in a canoe. I don't know whatever happened to The Wigwam I guess they just went out of business. GI Joe's probably ran them out of business and then GI Joe's got run out of business :p.

Interestingly, there used to be a bar in Beaverton called the white elephant as well and my dad and my grandpa would go in there and get schnockered after work haha. My grandma and my mother did not approve haha.

A ridiculous price for 22s!

IMG_3357.JPG
Oh, except they're 22 Mag.

IMG_3358.JPG

Haha! I remember the Wigwam on sandy! It had a teepee for the facade. Pretty sure you're right about Joe's pushing them out. I always liked going there sitting in front of my dad on his Suzuki hanging onto the handle bars cross bar. Then we would hit Pappy's or Kings drive-in on 82nd up by the old Maddison HS

Haha! I remember the Wigwam on sandy! It had a teepee for the facade. Pretty sure you're right about Joe's pushing them out. I always liked going there sitting in front of my dad on his Suzuki hanging onto the handle bars cross bar. Then we would hit Pappy's or Kings drive-in on 82nd up by the old Maddison HS
I forgot about the one in Sandy!

Some of my friends' cars ran on Wigwam oil. Like 50¢/gallon and worth it!

I think that my Dad bought a crate of CCI Blazers and charged us $.50 for 500 in the early 70's. It was some special deal in Shotgun News. I should have bought more, but still have 4 full boxes of 500.

I also got CCI Mini-Mag 100 packs for $.75 in 1977, but I couldn't find them to verify.

Total .22 LR is around 15,000.

Edit: it must have been $.50 per 50, not 500. It just doesn't sound right. The 500 count boxes were marked $.50.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads