JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, any leads to local FFLs that can transfer out of state handgun for online sale? Used to use Curts, but he's charging close to $80 per handgun now. Any local honest dealers willing to charge close to the medium flat rate box rate that it should cost? ;)

Appreciate any info.

Thanks!
Aaron

Hey all, any leads to local FFLs that can transfer out of state handgun for online sale? Used to use Curts, but he's charging close to $80 per handgun now. Any local honest dealers willing to charge close to the medium flat rate box rate that it should cost? ;)

Appreciate any info.

Thanks!
Aaron

I'm not 100% on this but Curts would have to charge you the transfer fee and BGC to take possession so there is $30 of your $80.

My guess is that shipping with insurance on a (guessing here) $500 gun would be in the $50 range.

I would call back and ask what the breakdown of the cost is and they may be able to tell you specifically what your being charged for.

I've never been to Curts but I have many friends here who use them for many things and I've never heard anything but good feedback about them.

Tigard pawn 4 more does them for $25 and is closer to you I believe
https://tigardpawn4more.com/ffl-transfers/

That is only for Recieving a gun - shipping one costs more; from thier website:

Can you send a firearm to another FFL dealer in another state?
Yes we can. But we can't send firearms to private parties. We can even ship firearms to FFL dealers within the state of Oregon. Because we're a licensed FFL dealer, we're able to ship firearms through the US Postal Service.

You'll pay $25 for the first firearm, $15 additional, plus the cost of freight and insurance.

No no no. Send out. I own, want to send out. Yes, I understand the cost breakdown, but it used to be $25+around $20 to ship at Curts. Now it's $35+$38 or so flat rate from him. They use a new form and I feel it's a tiny bit too much. I would feel more like $40-$45 would be nice.

Thanks

You'll pay $25 for the first firearm, $15 additional, plus the cost of freight and insurance

I feel your pain but I'm not sure you will find what your after.

Given a $45 budget:

-$25 for the transfer fee
=$20 left over for shipping AND insurance.

Having had to ship things locally, nationally and internationally - I think I can say that the value of the firearm is going to eat you up in insurance costs even if you don't factor in the flat rate shipping.

We used to refer to it as CYA Tax - Cover Your A$$.

As an ffl (I am not, just hypothetically) I wouldn't ship anything without insurance so I wasn't possibly liable for the loss or damage of the item, the post office would be.

+1 on insurance. Last year, during shipping, I had a handgun stolen from within the UPS Distribution Center in Tualatin, OR. Because I had insurance added to the shipping cost, the out of state gun shop reimbursed me after a 3 week wait, and the shop was reimbursed within a month after filing a claim with UPS. I would never buy a shipped handgun without insurance and I always pay with my credit card for backup reimbursement.

There was a link in another thread about using shipmygun.com to ship out of state. Looks like $40 to ship handgun but did not make it all the way through the site to see if there are other costs involved or what is included.

Why don't you ship it yourself through UPS or FedEx? Cut out the middleman.
All you need is an up to date copy of the receiving FFL's license.
Handguns are shipped overnight air, but the buyer generally pays for that.
An FFL doesn't have to ship next day air, so their shipping costs are cheaper.

There was a link in another thread about using shipmygun.com to ship out of state. Looks like $40 to ship handgun but did not make it all the way through the site to see if there are other costs involved or what is included.

It's $39 to ship but extra if you want insurance. I insured mine for $500 which added $5.00
to the bill. So shipped with insurance was $44. Much cheaper than any other price I could find.
You print the shipping label online, box it up and drop it off at UPS. It's a really simple process.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top