JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm curious if anyone can recommend an affordable, lightweight AR10 or AR15? I could build one, but off the shelf would be ideal. Application would be primarily a hunting rifle (largely elk), so not looking to sacrifice weight for durability. Open to caliber recommendations as well. Budget is ~&2500. Thanks in advance for any advice.

With a $2500 budget, I would recommend getting a cheap AR to scratch that itch, plus a proper bolt gun in a proper chambering for clean kills on elk.

Hauling around a 10lb AR-10 in the woods in a marginally effective caliber for elk gets old real fast and leavs a high risk of wounding an animal you probably won't find.

With a $2500 budget, I would recommend getting a cheap AR to scratch that itch, plus a proper bolt gun in a proper chambering for clean kills on elk.

Hauling around a 10lb AR-10 in the woods in a marginally effective caliber for elk gets old real fast and leavs a high risk of wounding an animal you probably won't find.
That's my thinking as well

Budget @ $2500!

I agree with everything but the .308 being a marginally effective elk round. The .308 is a fantastic elk round. The AR-10 is a marginal elk rifle with unnecessary weight. Get a cheap AR-15, medium range bolt rifle and the best scope with the remainder.

Something WWSD inspired, but in 6.5 Grendel or .458 SOCOM would be the way to go. Go for a cheaper BCG, cheaper trigger/safety, and maybe a lightweight aluminum handguard instead of a carbon fiber one. Tromix makes a lightweight 16" .458 SOCOM barrel, and Faxon makes the lightest 6.5 Grendel barrel.

For an AR-10 I like this one it weighs 7.6 pounds empty, has a double lapped receiver to barrel interface which helps consistent accuracy. Armalite is like many gun companies, out of business, then someone buys the name, and they are back in business. The current company has been around. They were in Illinois before they moved to Arizona, I bought mine before they moved, I have 2 1/2 more AR-10's, should build the last one. Just AR poor.

Anyway, buy a good scope and put it on this rifle or a bolt rifle.

@Illuminaughty you are looking for the POF revolution in .308, which is sub 7lbs in the 16" barrel configuration and DI. That is lighter than a lot of standard bolt action hunting rifles. Put a good LPVO optic on top from someone like Leupold and you can keep it under 8lbs. I have the piston version and have been very pleased with its performance.

Running some Nosler accubonds or partions or a similar bullet from another manufacturer and you have a great elk rifle at all reasonable distances.

You should get an idea of your intended hunting type, conditions, terrain and max yardage to help select an appropriate caliber/cartridge.
This thread has some relevant info in that regards: Good all-around large game caliber, but not all of the cartridges mentioned are available in the AR platform.
If your intent is to gear up for the upcoming season, your choices may be limited. As far as AR10/LR308's, building a large frame AR can be a challenge, but even factory rifles can have issues. Suitable cartridges for elk in the AR15 platform is something I have no experience with.
Pic of my short range brush rifle (16" .358 Win) just because:
yQFRiF3l.jpg

You can get a nice PSA - PA10 with an 18" or 20" SS barrel and 2 stage trigger that has a lifetime guarantee for $950 at Palmetto State Armory. I worked up 4 different loads for a Hornady 165gr BTSP using IMR 4166. In less than a couple minutes I was getting 5 shot cloverleaf groups with 42.5 gr of 4166. That's rapid fire, in a hunting situation you are one and done. Anyone who tells you a 160 or 165 gr 308 is not enough for an Elk even out to 300 yards DOES NOT HUNT ELK…PERIOD.

E9268443-F6CF-4C7F-8C3D-F5B2C37C59F1.jpeg E5FCFF2D-E646-4196-9EEF-F84676BE085A.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top