JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So This year will be my first year going out hunting since I was a teenager. I am looking at rifles now and I have noticed what I can only describe as a barrel wiggle? Not even sure if that would be the correct term. But there appears to be a gap between the barrel and the stock and when I grab both and squeeze I can close the gap. I have noticed this on numerous makes and models of rifles.

Is this normal? It just seams it would be an issue to me. Is this something I should be concerned with when selecting the rifle?

Any advice from seasoned pros would be great.

It is normal on the cheaper rifles. The good news is despite those cheap Tupperware stocks, the rifles can be remarkably accurate. If you spend more money and get a decent wood stock or high quality composite stock the flex problem goes away. If you are on a budget, you can buy the Tupperware equipped rifle now and upgrade to a wood stock later, like a Boyds, for about a hundred bucks.

So This year will be my first year going out hunting since I was a teenager. I am looking at rifles now and I have noticed what I can only describe as a barrel wiggle? Not even sure if that would be the correct term. But there appears to be a gap between the barrel and the stock and when I grab both and squeeze I can close the gap. I have noticed this on numerous makes and models of rifles.

Is this normal? It just seams it would be an issue to me. Is this something I should be concerned with when selecting the rifle?

Any advice from seasoned pros would be great.

Are you looking at rifles with free floating barrels?

If so, it's normal.

What models have you noticed this with?

I am currently thinking about the Savage® Arms 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP in the .308. I was out at the range today and spoke with a few people there and they all said the same that this is normal. Which makes me feel better.

Looking at the reviews on the Savage® Arms 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP looks like most like it that have purchased it.

The flex in your stock is normal, as others have said, and is common with the plastic stocks on a lot of rifles. This generally doesn't present an issue unless you are stressing the stock during shooting. If you sling up tight to shoot offhand, it might cause you to have accuracy issues. This could also happen if shooting off a bench, bipod, or some other rest. If the gun shoots, then don't worry about it. If it strings its shots instead of grouping them, then you may look at some solutions. These can include reinforcing the fore end on the existing stock or replacing the stock altogether with something stiffer like wood, laminate, or a better quality synthetic stock. But never go replacing parts until you know what the rifle will do. It might turn out not to be an issue.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top