Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Adjustable gas block for SBR?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Modeler, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Hi all,

Considering how I want to build my SBR once I get the tax stamp in-hand. My SOT Dealer says that SBR's can be finicky with ammo sometimes, and that a larger gas port may be needed. I was thinking of building the upper with an adjustable gas block from JP Enterprises. I looked at the switchblock from Noveske, but they don't offer one with a front-sight option.

What do you think? Is it necessary? Preferable? Waste of money?

JP Rifles

Greg

2. JohnnyCauc

JohnnyCauc Portland, OR Member

That depends on how "S" you're building your SBR.
    Mine is 10.3", with a gas port of 0.07 inch and I've never experienced anything regarding "finicky" ammo. I think as long as you keep the gas port size in mind when opting for barrel length. I ran it with a standard buffer weight for the first few years with thousands of rounds downrange with no problem (despite reading that a heavier buffer is used, most notably with full auto). All of this is 5.56, if that needs to be mentioned. Once I built my 9mm SBR upper for the same receiver, I started leaving my RRA 9mm buffer (5.6oz) in. Runs just fine with that as well.

3. Modeler

Primary upper will be 10.5", I'd like the ability to adjust for different loads (I do some handloading) and shut it down altogether for single-shots with the planned suppressor. If I'm gonna build it I might as well go all-out, right?

Greg

4. nrc

nrc Oregon Member

I ran an adj block on my first 300/221, but don't use them anymore. A better investment would be a variety of buffer weights. Once your stamp clears, you'll want to add other lengths or calibers :) in any case.

I've never had to change a gas port either - maybe I'm just lucky. Good luck waiting for your stamp!

Nate

5. Modeler

One more question; call me old-fashioned, but I like the look of an A2 gas block. If I went with an A2 front sight will it interfere with optics I plan to add later?

Greg

6. nrc

nrc Oregon Member

Lots of folks run scopes with a2 front sights... its not a big deal. You can sometimes see a 'ghosting' of the sight assembly through the scope but you can tune it out mentally easily enough.

Oddly, the higher power scopes seem to have less of this effect than lower ones.