JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seriously. My father and I were watching the news last Sunday and saw an active shooter routine preformed by a class of 3-4th graders. They are teaching these kids to be sheep.
To duck and cover, to cower. They see the teacher as an example of that and follow suit.

Only the old folks may remember this, but we did the same thing when we were kids. They were called "Civil Defense Drills". The feeling then was that the bad guys could literally kill millions of innocent civilians in a the blink of an eye. (Repeated for effect) Millions dead. Blink of an eye. So we practiced running to basements and ducking under desks. The radio stations regularly transmitted the squelch sound of "if this was a real emergency, you would be directed to bendo ver and kiss your a** , or the location of the nearest fallout shelter" or some such thing. Here's a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_and_cover

So it sucks that 14 innocents died by some muslims who were angry at our country. It really does. However, to put it in perspective, let me point out that since my time as a pup we have all but stopped any civilian preparation for a nuclear war. No more duck and cover for the 3-4th graders. Yet more and more nuclear bombs have been produced and more and more countries now yield this ultimate hammer of death. Even Pakistan....India..North Korea. Think on that, all of those and many more have the capability to melt our country down and turn all of our children and anything we hold dear to ash in mere moments. North Korea is still a bit off, but they are working on it so that they can do a better job. Like most, I guess it's just easier to not think of it, and forget that 25 min from now, I could be vaporized along with everything else in a 40 mile radius.

I guess it's a matter of perspective on what can take you out. In this regard, our country's leadership can make or break it and that's a huge issue. Huge.

Seriously

What would you do for your family?

I ask this question of students when they inquire about such things as "what would I do?" In order to save my own life, I would be willing to go to prison for carrying my gun illegally at my workplace so that I might have a fighting chance against madmen who would seek to deny my family of their right to enjoy my money, my company, and all the things a provide.

I would unapologetically do this because self defense is a right given by God and cannot be taken by any law of man. If I would be allowed to defend myself and my life with a bat, chair or fire extinguisher; then I am allowed to use a gun. The principle does not change because of the differences in the tool used.

Carry everyday and everywhere you go.

I actually did receive some "active shooter training" that I felt was informative and useful information. I am an instructor at a community college, as you might imagine right after the Umpqua CC shootings this was a major topic. Here is what we were told:

We are pretty much on our own. Don't expect the police to show up for about 15 minutes and don't expect campus security to respond at all. Faculty, staff and students who have a concealed carry permit are welcome to arm themselves and carry on any part of the campus and in any classroom. Although they person conducting the training didn't come right out and encourage us to arm ourselves, he certainly made it clear he thought it was a great idea. Believe it or not, it was received pretty well by everyone in the room and that really surprised me. The person conducting the training stated that open carry while legal was discouraged because it has a tendency to cause panic; I agree with him.

Personally, I think you would have to be a moron to open carry in today's society, legal or not. The moment I saw you with a weapon exposed on campus (or anywhere else really) I would start formulating my plan to kill you. At any rate, I found the training refreshing. There was no defend yourself with a stapler or a flower pot advice. Those who did not wish to defend themselves were advised to run away as fast as possible and let nothing slow them down. One female asked what to do if her friend panicked and wouldn't run. She was advised she could make new friends later. Like I said, useful information.

I actually did receive some "active shooter training" that I felt was informative and useful information. I am an instructor at a community college, as you might imagine right after the Umpqua CC shootings this was a major topic. Here is what we were told:

We are pretty much on our own. Don't expect the police to show up for about 15 minutes and don't expect campus security to respond at all. Faculty, staff and students who have a concealed carry permit are welcome to arm themselves and carry on any part of the campus and in any classroom. Although they person conducting the training didn't come right out and encourage us to arm ourselves, he certainly made it clear he thought it was a great idea. Believe it or not, it was received pretty well by everyone in the room and that really surprised me. The person conducting the training stated that open carry while legal was discouraged because it has a tendency to cause panic; I agree with him.

Personally, I think you would have to be a moron to open carry in today's society, legal or not. The moment I saw you with a weapon exposed on campus (or anywhere else really) I would start formulating my plan to kill you. At any rate, I found the training refreshing. There was no defend yourself with a stapler or a flower pot advice. Those who did not wish to defend themselves were advised to run away as fast as possible and let nothing slow them down. One female asked what to do if her friend panicked and wouldn't run. She was advised she could make new friends later. Like I said, useful information.

Chemeketa? Sounds like their policy. Whoever it is, good on them.

ugh.... we just had our company active shooter training today. it was basically the DHS video of "run, hide and fight." If you havent seen it yet, its a video showing a shooter with a shotgun slowly walking around a business office shooting and reloading as if he had all the time in the world. About as useful training as "duck and cover" was for a nuclear bomb going off over your head.

Its like a sheep was teaching sheep how to survive a wolf attack.

Always, always carry your firearm. Do not leave the house without it!!! Nobody wakes up thinking they're going to be a victim in a mass shooting or some other deadly attack from a criminal. For an active shooting scenario I hope to Escape, hide, shoot iin that order.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top