JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which rifle is better?

• The ACR is definitely worth the extra cost.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • An AR-15 is a better "bang for the buck" with lots of options.

Votes: 41 91.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
I apologize for my noobness, lol, but I am wondering a few things. I want to get another assault rifle within the next year or so I wanted to see what the advantages of an ACR over an AR-15 are to make it worth the extra cost? If it's been covered a million times, I'm sorry, I did a quick search with no results.

Lol, then why is it offered? There has to be "some" reason why it came out and with the hefty price tag. Sorry, I just don't know, thus my inquiry.

I think they were released more for the military demand of a modular weapon. Lighter, yet still simple to use. They are expensive and I don't know why really. When Bushmaster started talking of the release they were slated at an affordable price of around $1400-1700! We all know what happened when they came out. As for me, I agree with Ranger90. They are a cool weapon, don't get me wrong. BUT, that being said you cannot change grips, there are few options for stocks, and who knows when they are going to release barrels that are in optional calibers.
Look at it this way, You can buy 2 pretty decent AR's for the cost of 1 ACR. Or you can buy 1 AR and a decent amount of ammo. The AR has endless possibilities, from grips, to stocks, uppers, lowers, you can pretty much pick exactly what you want. The ACR, you get it how you buy it for the most part. Also, one down side of the ACR IMHO, I am a bigger guy 6'4" and the ACR was just not a good fit for me even fully extended.
Good luck with your decision. Do yourself a favor and go put your hands on both. Make a good decision with your own research and opinions.

Makes sense for sure. I've shot a few AR-15s, and like them (my Dad owns one as well, which is the one I've shot the most), but I've never handled an ACR. I like my AK-47 a lot, but I'd like something additional that is a little more modern, lol. Thanks for the input! I do like the customization of the AR-15, and I wasn't aware that the ACR was not as mod friendly as one would believe a modular piece of equipment would be.

Lots of super nice AR15 options for the same money; Noveske w/ switchblock for instance; I vote AR15 just because of the value. $2000-$2400 'builds' a better bang for the buck weapon.

I have many AR15s and one ACR. I would take the ACR over the AR15 every day of the week. My reasoning is:

ACR – Magpul designed and the ergonomics of the rifle are outstanding. From the stock, receiver, mag release just feel better than an AR. The break down and removal of the barrel and internals are so very easy. Let's not forget the forward charging handle. The only downside I can find it the weight of the rifle and it is front heavy. Hopefully we will get caliber conversions for the rifle someday.

AR15 – Cheaper.

Best part of the ACR is it is not an AR you see thousands of at the range. Again just my two cents and I am not an AR hater.

Lol, then why is it offered? There has to be "some" reason why it came out and with the hefty price tag. Sorry, I just don't know, thus my inquiry.

Same reason there are 1000 different guns out there.Each engineer has a better idea about how to get the job done.
Same reason there are so many different calibers.Some are better than others for certain things,but really,you could go with just a couple different calibers.
If they don't introduce something new,the market will stagnate.
Not good for business.

Same reason there are 1000 different guns out there.Each engineer has a DIFFERENT idea about how to get the job done.
Same reason there are so many different calibers.Some are better than others for certain things,but really,you could go with just a couple different calibers.
If they don't introduce something new,the market will stagnate.
Not good for business.

I fixed it. Not always better.

It was introduced as a possible contender for a mil-contract but ended up in the shadows of the FN SCAR. In my opinion the ACR was a good idea when magpul released it as the Masada, but went in the wrong direction with Bushmaster.

I love FN weapons, so it would definitely be a Scar over an ACR any day. Then SBR'd at Tornado for $300.

FN SCAR™ 16S / MK 16 CQC SBR package (threaded 1/2-28). Includes shortening barrel to 10", threading, engraving & gas port modification

AR-15 from a good company (colt,DD,BCM,Nov,etc.), proven to be a good reliable gun. I personally wouldn't trust bushmaster to put out a consistently well manufactured ACR judging from there AR's. From what I understand, Remington is manufacturing the "mil-spec" model ACR for LEO/military and they are not available to the public. FN Scar seems to be proving itself a well made reliable gun, while the ACR has yet to do so (much less the bushmaster model). For the price, a good AR with a good RDS would be my first choice followed by a FN SCAR. Not saying the ACR is a bad or good gun, just don't think there's enough out there to make a informed choice.

OK,call me ignorant,what ever. I had to google to see what the ARC was.Don't care enough to keep on these things I guess.

All I see is another rifle,same as some older rifles,same "OK" caliber,nothing really new.

The AR is as good as any other 5.56 rifle out there.All you are doing is buying a expensive pig with lipstick on it.It's still just a 22 that flies really fast.And sucks real bad after a couple sheets of dry wall.
Just a 5.56/223

For me,if I was to spend $2k on a defensive rifle,it would be in a 30 caliber.Yeah 6.5 will do but 308 nato does very well.A nice 7.62X51 will do a lot more than a expensive 5.56. Can't help it,it's a 30 caliber not a 22.

So I'll go back and vote,vote for the simpleness of the AR,in an "OK" caliber
(yes I have ARs and love them for shooting sports,not defense)
Just can't see spending a ton of money on a gun in a caliber that is marginal for defense ,at best.

Lay it down on me brother.

I have played with several ACRs. They were all broken.
They are fancy and new. This is why they are expensive. They look good in pictures, and give the owner Internet cred.

I'm assuming they are SLIGHTLY more accurate than a quality AR.
I wouldn't own one, even if it was the same price as a Colt 6920.

Agree with coctailer and ArBrnSnpr on this one. It looks pretty and you can point to it from Future Weapons, but its performance and durability hasn't shown itself to be on par with the AR platform. One of the selling points that was touted was the ability to change them out fairly easily and be multi-caliber; yet they've not offered that yet and the rifle has been out, what, two years now?

Ultimately, get what you like the most based on what's driving you. If you want to get the "oooh, shiny!" looks from newer/casual people at the range then it might be the way to go. If you're planning something other than casual shooting and don't care for the wow factor, you may be better off going with an AR and using some of your savings to get the accessories that will enable you to do the things you want to do with it.

I normally purchase guns based on my tastes and understanding of them, but I have in the past been known to buy a shiny rock because it's a shiny rock. I've picked up the ACR and not taken one home. Why? Because it's not what was promised and I saw no value in it today that would put it up above any of my AR or AR-type platform rifles. Also my 2¢, so do with it what you will.

If you want a quality 5.56 I'd recommend a reputable AR for all the reasons above. If you just have to have something that feels 21st century get a SCAR 16S. I'd rather have a PS90 than an ACR.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top