JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apparently turkeys also thought the woods were closed to humans yesterday. Turkeys are not all that smart ... but they are wary.
On this hunt I brought out one of my most cherished firearms. The Winchester model 12, new in the box, was a present from my father as a HS graduation gift. Thanks Dad

20200419_181016.jpg

The Winchester model 12, new in the box, was a present from my father as a HS graduation gift. Thanks Dad

Indeed!

So, do you eat those turkeys? I've heard both sides, that they are good as long as they're not eating certain things. And, that they plain suck. What's the process?

I happen to see a small group of them by the road up over Mt Hood and down 35 to Hood River on a little road trip we did last week. There was a big tom in the group, at a glance, all blue and red in breeding colors I'd guess. I wish I could have stopped and watched them for awhile.

I think wild turkey is most excellent and rank the breast meat up with pheasant and quail. I like to do a simple brine for 8 hrs then lightly smoke it with apple and finish in the oven making very sure that you take it out just before 150 degrees. The legs on the other hand are tough and tough to prepare...I'd like to hear if someone has a good leg recipe other than grinding for sausage.

If you lived in washington, the turkeys would be right. Wdfw closed spring turkey, spring bear and all fishing. The birds are gobbling and strutting here like they own the place. 5 days of turkey season now unhunted. I dont hunt turkeys myself, but i feel for the guys that do love it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top