JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember a television was something special, and only about half the folks i knew had one. You were high falootin if you had a Color T.V. or a real stereo! We had a consol black and white t.v. abiut 12 inches. Our Rotory phones had a special counter and a diladex with all phone numbers and addresses hand written! Listening to Paul Harvey on an old A.M. radio ( made of bakelite) every morning while eating a real breakfast made by GrandMom. Walking to school and walking to the park after school. Shallow wading pool in the park was where it was at middle summer, and we didnt have child molesters and drug dealers around. 5 pm had the steady stream of Loaded Logging trucks rumbling through town for the last run to the mill of the day! Ridding around in a log truck and watching out for Smokey the Bear, taking up collections from all the log truck drivers for the one guy to "Run the Scales" and distract the truck cops so all the other over loaded log trucks could sneak by, got paid in cash at the end of the day!
Sneaking all the kids in the back of the biggest car we could borrow and sneaking in to the drive in! Having neighborhood football games, baseball, or wrastlin matches, settling things with boxing gloves and a hand shake after. Big hunk candy bars for .10 cents, Pop Shop soda by the crate, (Black Cherry was my favorit) and the Organ Grinder pizza place! The Sandy Bar flea market, Saterday wrestling matches live or on T.V.
Yea, we had it good!

Cars were cheap, gas was plentiful, and and Old 82nd was where it was at!
I-5 didn't actually run through portland, and I-84E didn't start till past 102nd!
Had to take old 99 south to go to Salem, and you could Drag Race all the way up and down I-5 after 8 PM!

I wanted a Schwinn and they got me a Huffy.
Had to be home before the street light turned on.
Riding my bike to school.
Picking Strawberries.
Taking Hunters Safety as a elective for P.E., and then shooting the schools rifles in class under the auditorium.
Leaving shotguns or rifles in our cars so we could hunt after school.
And Vicky Lynn Maroney!

I remember brand new muscle cars, all of them. In 1968 I was 10 and got my first subscription to hot rod magazine. Chargers, Mustangs Camaros etc.

People drag racing at 11pm when I finished watching the movie hang em high and stepped out on to main st in august 1968 while waiting for parents to come pick me up in Salinas ca. It was just like I bought a ticket to the races.

Then my mom bought a brand new 68 mustang. Lots of good memories riding in that car and later, driving it when I was 16 in 1974.

Nothing like being 10 yrs old and standing there when a 440 charger fires up and it shakes the ground and shakes you along with it when the owner raps the throttle the rpm skyrockets and he smokes the 10" Micky Thompson tires then floors it and roars away in a cloud of 110 octane union 76 fuel with a union 76 orange ball on his radio antenna.

tumblr_p7vyxccuxQ1rsmcudo1_500.jpg
649f93012f7204108c189c9f4bbbf0d7.jpg
c9caac0e1ae3a62e7719e601d4f58db9.jpg
fdcb8492c8f20eb1bacfbfae28147e1b.jpg

Regarding the OP and "Service Stations"....hate to say it, but now days I would not trust most gas station attendants to check my oil let alone be able to find the dipstick.

I bought a 1972 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed back in 1984 for $1350! It had been wrecked, but the seller had all the parts to fix it. Took me several summers mowing lawns and running my paper route to save up for parts and to finnish the car, but the summer of my Junior year, i had a running driving SS Chevelle 454 Killer! A set of 50 series Sears Road Huggers on the back would last about 2 weeks of street racing, or about 6 months normal driving with a locker in the rear! Clutches lasted 1 season if you were lucky, and that Challenger could scratch the high side of 10s in the quarter on a good night!
I still have that car, its my first love, and she is just as mean as ever! Spent many nights crusing around and getting in a few races if I could, i didnt even bother unless it was a SS 454, a Olds 455 or a Buick 455, or any of the MOPAR 440s and Hemi's and thing less was a waste of time and showin off! I almost cried when they stopped selling Ethal gas, but as long as I could still get 89 or better, it wasnt too bad!

I recall a time when you lifted the phone off the hook and an operator would ask: Number please.

You'd tell her (no guys were telephone operators then) the number and she'd ring it for you.

Then those high falutin, rotary dial phones came into vogue and you had to dial the number yersef...

What a drag...

What's 3g?

Hell, aren't flip phones still cool?

Oh right, smart aleck phones.

What was I thinking?

Those things people can't stop staring into while they walk in front of or into other people, cars, trains, parking meters, public fountains, holes and so forth.

Yeah, there good for ya...bwahahahahaaha!

And then the 60's movements happened and all those values steadily went down hill after that. At least thats how I see it and remember learning about it through my time in studies.

Silent Generation then passed to Boomers which had a golden era for a short time. Then it just kept getting progressively worse and worse and now we are here today. Boomers to Gen X to Millenial now onto Gen Z. The Apex was through the 90's from what I personally recall and then a shift happened around early 2000's to present. Overton window shifted and Occams razor feels less used these days.

Still though I do recall some simpler times and have a good amount of nostalgia from my growing up to some of the stories hearing from my folks growing up and how things they did screwed it up for my gen just like how i'll screw it up for the next one.

My school principle had a wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. And it was just fine with most parents when he used it on their kid when they talked back in class.

Being pulled behind Dads 4x4 pick-up on a sled or inner tube in the winter was always so much fun.
Or riding my bike down Sunnyside road to where the (Clackamas town center is now) it used to be a big field with a large pond in the center with my BB gun and shooting at anything that moved . spend most of the day there

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads