JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HOW'S THIS FOR NOSTALGIA?

I HAD TO REMOVE A TON OF PICTURES TO GET IT TO POST SORRY

All the girls had gym uniforms?

It took three minutes for the TV to warm up?
ho 9337718.jpg

Nobody owned a purebred dog?
5771634.jpg

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas
pumped, without asking, all for free, every time?
And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading
stamps to boot?

7933130.jpg

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels
hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to
dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they
failed...and they did it!

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...
to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady
4616474.jpg

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, 'That cloud looks like a...'?

7017891.jpg

Playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the
rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once,
you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,
and share it with the children of today.

4829462.jpg

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing
compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

...as well as summers filled with bike rides, Hula Hoops,
and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

3042943.jpg

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say,
'Yeah, I remember that'?

I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a
Double Dog Dare to pass it on. To remember what a
Double Dog Dare is, read on. And remember that the
perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know
better and too young to care.

Send this on to someone who can still remember Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.
5675889.jpg

Candy cigarettes
8305766.jpg

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.
Coffee shops with Table Side Jukeboxes.
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum.

9891111.jpg

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard
stoppers.

Newsreels before the movie.

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...( Yukon 2-601).
Party lines.

9769940.jpg

Peashooters.
5714223.jpg

Hi-Fi's & 45 RPM records.

78 RPM records!
6716891.jpg

Green Stamps.

Mimeograph paper.
7348505.jpg

The Fort Apache Play Set.
9346511.jpg

Do You Remember a Time When...

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, 'Do
Over!'?
'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the
fastest?

Catching The Fireflies Could Happily Occupy An Entire
Evening?

5845046.jpg

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'Best Friends'?

Having a Weapon in School meant being caught with a
Slingshot?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?
2374025.jpg

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was
cause for giggles?

The Worst Embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
2188095.jpg

War was a card game?
9648258.jpg

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into
a motorcycle?

4876081.jpg

Taking drugs meant orange - flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, Then You Have
Lived!!!!!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their

'Grown-Up' Life .

I Double-Dog-Dare-Ya!

Garfield. Rotary Phones. Zone 8. 'Nickle nickle nickle, trickle trickle trickle'. The taste of Clove chewing gun. Penny candy. Brown butcher paper and felt pens. Bag boys. 19 cent gas. 9" B&W TV. Radio Shows.

"Oh Nelly" Dick Lane. Olympic Auditorium Wrestling. The Claw. Bicycling to Huntington Beach. Old Sarge's Surplus. 39 cent .22 ammo. Slot cars. Homemade skate boards. My first 10 speed bike. My first bought car.

Neighborhood bean shooter wars. Volunteer bean and corn plants. Santa Ana winds. Ice and ice water. March Air Force Base. B36s, B47s, Then B52s. Grandparents big cabin. Stealing wild honey. Bee stings. Smiles.

We were just kids. 60 years ago. :)

Garfield was our phone prefix. Zone 8 was before zip codes.

Last Edited:
I'm a little younger than this, but I definitely remember having my tape player ready during Casey Kasem's show so I could record a particular song for my favorite mix tape. Or running home after elementary school to finally get to watch Michael Jackson's new music video, "Thriller," on MTV on brand new TV that was in...stereo!!

HOW'S THIS FOR NOSTALGIA?

I HAD TO REMOVE A TON OF PICTURES TO GET IT TO POST SORRY

All the girls had gym uniforms?

It took three minutes for the TV to warm up?
hoView attachment 372786

Nobody owned a purebred dog?
View attachment 372787

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas
pumped, without asking, all for free, every time?
And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading
stamps to boot?

View attachment 372788

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels
hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to
dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they
failed...and they did it!

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...
to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady
View attachment 372789

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, 'That cloud looks like a...'?

View attachment 372790

Playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the
rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once,
you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,
and share it with the children of today.

View attachment 372791

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing
compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

...as well as summers filled with bike rides, Hula Hoops,
and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

View attachment 372792

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say,
'Yeah, I remember that'?

I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a
Double Dog Dare to pass it on. To remember what a
Double Dog Dare is, read on. And remember that the
perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know
better and too young to care.

Send this on to someone who can still remember Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.
View attachment 372793

Candy cigarettes
View attachment 372794

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.
Coffee shops with Table Side Jukeboxes.
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum.

View attachment 372795

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard
stoppers.

Newsreels before the movie.

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...( Yukon 2-601).
Party lines.

View attachment 372796

Peashooters.
View attachment 372797

Hi-Fi's & 45 RPM records.

78 RPM records!
View attachment 372798

Green Stamps.

Mimeograph paper.
View attachment 372799

The Fort Apache Play Set.
View attachment 372800

Do You Remember a Time When...

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, 'Do
Over!'?
'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the
fastest?

Catching The Fireflies Could Happily Occupy An Entire
Evening?

View attachment 372801

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'Best Friends'?

Having a Weapon in School meant being caught with a
Slingshot?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?
View attachment 372802

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was
cause for giggles?

The Worst Embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
View attachment 372803

War was a card game?
View attachment 372804

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into
a motorcycle?

View attachment 372805

Taking drugs meant orange - flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, Then You Have
Lived!!!!!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their

'Grown-Up' Life .

I Double-Dog-Dare-Ya!

Thanks for this, I needed it. :s0155:

Ah yes, it does bring back memories. Our first phone prefix was Capital, followed by Forest, both in the Los Angeles basin. One of the best was riding my bike to the range with my .22 strapped to my back and no one even giving me a second glance. Those were the good old days.

Um... actually all the bad stuff was happening then just as it is now. :eek::eek::eek:

The real difference was, no 500 channels of mass media telling you the world was ending because in another town in another part of the country something bad happened.

Now when anything happens anywhere it is national news IN YOUR FACE just as if it happened right next door.

When you take the entire USA, and make it seem that anything that happens is the same as if it happened right in your town, you are going to keep every one stirred up to a frenzy. :confused::mad:o_O

In reality there was still murder and still thievery and still child molestation, threats of war and all the other stuff we get upset over now, the difference is we only had 3 channels, ABC, NBC and CBS.

The news back then was, just the news. If something bad happened, it was kept local and the town it happened in knew about it, but, it did not make the news 1000 miles away.

If you want to simplify your life, turn off the TV and radio and live like you did back then. Get up early, go out, work hard, do things, come home and go to bed and don't turn on the TV. If you do, watch a movie, don't watch the news.

Just by NOT watching the news, you can take your stress level down by 50% or more and enjoy life much more.

So, want a time machine? want to instantly transport yourself back to the 1060's or even the 1950's?

Yank the TV out and read a newspaper every now and then and do not expose yourself to the media madness that is society as it exist today.

Sounds just to good to be true, but, it is.

Do you know any happy people? If you do ask them what is the last thing Donald trump said... Odds are they have no clue because they are living life not hanging on every word said by a CNN reporter or are torn up about the carload of teens killed 3 states away or the latest scandal in WA DC...

We as people can not process all of the things we are force fed by the mass media and still be happy. Think about how much bad you hear about in one evening of TV local and national news coverage. How can you be happy, relaxed and well adjusted after being force fed a constant diet of evil?

You can become numb to it but it stays with you. This is why most people look back on childhood as a happy time, this is because when you are a child, you have not become addicted to the news and what it does to you.

My brother in law is religious and had 7 kids. He lived pretty far out in the sticks and home schooled his kids and kept them away from public school and all the crap going on in society.

They were raised as Christians and were sheltered from the media madness.

I wondered what would happen to them after they began to get older and were exposed to the harsh world, would they be able to handle it?

Well they are all in their early to mid 20's now and I cant believe how happy and strong and well adjusted they all are and what great people they are.

I think it is because they never became brainwashed by TV and mass media news as a drug techniques and of course being Christians also had a huge effect.

They can all cook, are fully able to survive in the outdoors, know how to hunt, shoot and can take care of themselves in any situation.

They are conservative and are capable of critical thinking from a conservative prospective. They are not addicted to mass media news and all its evil manipulations, they are busy living life and are happy because they are not caught up in a media induced trance telling them to be unhappy about everything all the time.

They can handle the big bad world just fine and know what to do and how to act and react, no problems at all. Keeping them sheltered and not exposing them to the corrupt world and public school was indeed a good thing along with proper schooling in all important aspects of life and philosophy.

Turn off the TV and radio and get on with life and stop being hypnotized by mass media mind control. Next thing you know, you will start to be a lot more happy because you simply can not constantly expose yourself to the news every night without it having a cumulative and negative effect on your mind and thus, your happiness. o_O

~

Um... actually all the bad stuff was happening then just as it is now. :eek::eek::eek:

The real difference was, no 500 channels of mass media telling you the world was ending because in another town in another part of the country something bad happened.

Now when anything happens anywhere it is national news IN YOUR FACE just as if it happened right next door.

When you take the entire USA, and make it seem that anything that happens is the same as if it happened right in your town, you are going to keep every one stirred up to a frenzy. :confused::mad:o_O

In reality there was still murder and still thievery and still child molestation, threats of war and all the other stuff we get upset over now, the difference is we only had 3 channels, ABC, NBC and CBS.

The news back then was, just the news. If something bad happened, it was kept local and the town it happened in knew about it, but, it did not make the news 1000 miles away.

If you want to simplify your life, turn off the TV and radio and live like you did back then. Get up early, go out, work hard, do things, come home and go to bed and don't turn on the TV. If you do, watch a movie, don't watch the news.

Just by NOT watching the news, you can take your stress level down by 50% or more and enjoy life much more.

So, want a time machine? want to instantly transport yourself back to the 1060's or even the 1950's?

Yank the TV out and read a newspaper every now and then and do not expose yourself to the media madness that is society as it exist today.

Sounds just to good to be true, but, it is.

Do you know any happy people? If you do ask them what is the last thing Donald trump said... Odds are they have no clue because they are living life not hanging on every word said by a CNN reporter or are torn up about the carload of teens killed 3 states away or the latest scandal in WA DC...

We as people can not process all of the things we are force fed by the mass media and still be happy. Think about how much bad you hear about in one evening of TV local and national news coverage. How can you be happy, relaxed and well adjusted after being force fed a constant diet of evil?

You can become numb to it but it stays with you. This is why most people look back on childhood as a happy time, this is because when you are a child, you have not become addicted to the news and what it does to you.

My brother in law is religious and had 7 kids. He lived pretty far out in the sticks and home schooled his kids and kept them away from public school and all the crap going on in society.

They were raised as Christians and were sheltered from the media madness.

I wondered what would happen to them after they began to get older and were exposed to the harsh world, would they be able to handle it?

Well they are all in their early to mid 20's now and I cant believe how happy and strong and well adjusted they all are and what great people they are.

I think it is because they never became brainwashed by TV and mass media news as a drug techniques and of course being Christians also had a huge effect.

They can all cook, are fully able to survive in the outdoors, know how to hunt, shoot and can take care of themselves in any situation.

They are conservative and are capable of critical thinking from a conservative prospective. They are not addicted to mass media news and all its evil manipulations, they are busy living life and are happy because they are not caught up in a media induced trance telling them to be unhappy about everything all the time.

They can handle the big bad world just fine and know what to do and how to act and react, no problems at all. Keeping them sheltered and not exposing them to the corrupt world and public school was indeed a good thing along with proper schooling in all important aspects of life and philosophy.

Turn off the TV and radio and get on with life and stop being hypnotized by mass media mind control. Next thing you know, you will start to be a lot more happy because you simply can not constantly expose yourself to the news every night without it having a cumulative and negative effect on your mind and thus, your happiness. o_O

~

So much of that is spot on! I would disagree that being raised in a strong Christian atmosphere has as much to do with growing up good as just having good caring parents with good values. I grew up in the world capital of the Mormon religion, and I can tell you from personal experience, being followers of religion does not make a better person than non-followers.

Great post, NCW_Robert!

I noticed that while traveling people are pretty much always pleasant. Sure, they are on vacation, but more importantly they are probably not listening to the news or watching TV and I think that is one of the main reasons that they are happier.

Sorry, but I'm going to reprectfully pick a bone with NCW_Robert here.

NCW_Robert, why didn't you just start a different thread titled "How to cope in today's world" or "The old days weren't so great". I like fredball's original post, brought back nice memories, made me smile, and was a nice reprieve from the "headlines".

We don't have television in our home, do not have cell phones, and do not have facebook or twitter accounts. NWFA and another forum are the only two forums I post to and at the other forum it's rarely.

Now, what I guess I miss most about growing up is not knowing what the rules are now, in today's world. Back then, things seemed more consistent, people didn't seem as fragile and in need of "safe spaces", it was ok for girls and boys to do traditional girl and boy "stuff", you were held accountable for your actions, there was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and for everyone else there was next season and not "participation" awards, you didn't "graduate" from grade school or middle school. I could go on and on about these things, but most of you probably get the idea.

Were they perfect times, of course they weren't and I'm not saying they were. But as far as some of the bad "stuff" going on is concerned, I don't recall people advocating open borders, or men using women's restrooms (or vice versa), or non-gender drivers licenses, or giving up our national sovereignty to foreign run entities such as the U.N, or U.S judges upholding shariah law in our court systems, or kids being suspended from school because they pointed their finger like a pistol, etc, etc, etc.

Anyhow, I do have fond memories and thank you fredball it was, and is fun.

Last Edited:
So much of that is spot on! I would disagree that being raised in a strong Christian atmosphere has as much to do with growing up good as just having good caring parents with good values. I grew up in the world capital of the Mormon religion, and I can tell you from personal experience, being followers of religion does not make a better person than non-followers.

I would agree with you on the part concerning religion where they infer, be good or your going to h_ell etc. The part that is good is where religion teaches you to be good in many other ways and to respect and help your fellow human beings.

Religion has it right concerning all that type of stuff with basic good values, not that people who are not religious don't, just saying.

To ikemay, sorry, I did get a bit carried away with that post, I'm hoping it helps and does not take away from the original intent of the thread as people can simply ignore it [like my wife does with most of the stuff I say] if they please.

~

An old thread, resurrected...

Found this out in the woods a while back. A 50 year old pop bottle. Imagine having to use a bottle opener for soda pop.:cool:

P1000316.JPG

If ya want it for your bottle collection, I'd be glad to donate it.

Imagine having to use a bottle opener for soda pop.:cool:
View attachment 550523

I remember using the end of the seatbelt to open those bottles. I remember when penny candy was a penny. My brother and I would take pop bottles to the store and walk out with a bag of candy. We could walk or ride our bikes to the store and our parents didn't worry about some scumbag trying something.

I remember long summer days and leaving in the morning, me and my friends taking off on our bikes and not returning until the sun came down...or also known as dinner time.

Now we give our kids those electronic leashes (cell Phones) and fret if their out of site more than 15 minutes.

We could walk or ride our bikes to the store and our parents didn't worry about some scumbag trying something.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top