JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't tried this but it looks pretty easy. I wonder if some peeled, sectioned potato chunks could be added?

For some reason I can't get this link to post in a viewable form. If interested, go to YouTube and search on "During the war in my country, this is how I stored meat in a jar outside the refrigerator."

Sorry.

Last Edited:
Jeannie and I have pressure-canned hamburger, steak, pork roast, chicken breast, legs and thighs, bacon, breakfast sausage, italian sausage and taco-seasoned hamburger, Just follow the instructions. We cook with them a lot. Sometimes just make sandwich spread with the different meats.
Hamburger is excellent!! Any of them are edible straight from the jar but bacon can use some time in the skillet first.
Chicken legs were more bother than they were worth. They don't fit good in the jars and are hard to separate the meat from the non-meat. Thighs are a little better. Boneless thighs and breasts work the best.
Cold-pack the chicken and bacon, the others like a few minutes to brown them first. Cut the bacon to length for proper headspace and roll up in parchment paper to keep the slices separate. It crumbles easily after it is canned, great for BLTs, not so much for keeping it as strips.
You can can potatoes but I would recommend doing it separately. The more you put in the jar the more limited you are in the uses you can put it to. A jar of meat and a few jars of vegetables can become a lot of different things including stew, but a jar of stew will be stew whether you want it to or not.

Pressure canning is the proper way to do meat and is not that hard to accomplish. Pressure cookers can be had for relatively cheap at garage sales but even.new they are not to bad. I bought an all american brand several years back and can several different things. Smoked fish, tuna, deer meat, stew, and chili all turn out great canned. Although I am not much of a prepper, I would consider a pressure cooker a must have for any serious prepping.

I put raw potatoes carrots and onions along with broth and deer meat into my stew and pressure can them as a stew. The potatoes are very soft but hold their form and do not turn to mush.

I pressure can all the meat from any bears I kill. It's a great way to process bear meat. Super versatile to use cooking and no risk of getting trichonosis from it since it's so well cooked, tender too. I cut up all my deer and elk into roasts and steaks so it's nice not to worry about finding freezer space for bear meat. However I think we're gonna try doing some bear sausage as well this spring if we get one just cause I hear great things

Best way for bear is pepperoni sticks or breakfast sausage..In my opinion. I can alot of fish..actually 9/10 i get. Smoked for a few hours then packed in jars and canned. A 1/4 of each deer and elk gets canned as well being its good for 3-10yrs depending on storage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top