JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love my job (HVAC) during weather like this. I ride around in an air-conditioned Sprinter van, fix a broken system (usually within an hour), get back in my air-conditioned Sprinter van and go to the next one, rinse and repeat for 8-12 hours ($$$$.$$) Then I come home to my house that's 72°F inside and chill out and wonder what all the sweaty, poor people are doing....

;):D
Yeah, until you get an emergency call to drive out to Hillsboro behind a Prius at 4:30 and you are in east county, or Salem when you get the call

Dude.... I'll drive all night long behind a Prius for x1.5 wages, and then after 10hrs I go to x2 wages.... all the way back to my house. ;)
If you get paid for driving, then heck yeah. My last employer had a 30 mile circumference around PDX ground zero and we didn't get paid for driving within that circle. There are always ways around that tho.

Dude.... I'll drive all night long behind a Prius for x1.5 wages, and then after 10hrs I go to x2 wages.... all the way back to my house. ;)
:s0055:

EDIT: im a flat rate technician at a dealership. i get paid by the job... my last 4 checks were 147.5hrs/2 weeks, 182.3hrs/2weeks, 150hrs/2weeks, 142.5hrs/2 weeks... each of which i probably only worked 65-70hrs in each of those two week pay periods.

its good when its good but if i go to work and stand all day i get paid $0.00. i dont get paid to be there. i get paid to work.

Last Edited:
If you get paid for driving, then heck yeah. My last employer had a 30 mile circumference around PDX ground zero and we didn't get paid for driving within that circle. There are always ways around that tho.

Oh HELL no.... if we get called out after hours, we get paid from our house to the job, time on the job, and from the job back to our house. Any customer who calls us is informed of that beforehand, because they get billed for all of it.

;)

EDIT: im a flat rate technician at a dealership. i get paid by the job... my last 4 checks were 147.5hrs/2 weeks, 182.3hrs/2weeks, 150hrs/2weeks, 142.5hrs/2 weeks... each of which i probably only worked 65-70hrs in each of those two week pay periods.

its good when its good but if i go to work and stand all day i get paid $0.00. i dont get paid to be there. i get paid to work.

Oh they don't just give me that crazy-money. If I don't work, I don't get paid... period.

Myself and two other guys developed a way to bill service industries work this way and ran a consulting business teaching it for 5 years. We then took it and applied it to construction business's, and I still teach it to this day. Getting ready to put into internet content this winter. You get a great buy in from employees to keep their sh*t together otherwise the system does not work.

People said there was no way to bill more than 6.5 hours in a day in service business's, until we showed them how to bill 10 to 12 with no call backs. Not that hard.

Myself and two other guys developed a way to bill service industries work this way and ran a consulting business teaching it for 5 years. We then took it and applied it to construction business's, and I still teach it to this day. Getting ready to put into internet content this winter. You get a great buy in from employees to keep their sh*t together otherwise the system does not work.

People said there was no way to bill more than 6.5 hours in a day in service business's, until we showed them how to bill 10 to 12 with no call backs. Not that hard.
yep, id never want to be hourly again. atleast while im able to work at the pace that i do(im 29) i made 13.9hrs monday, 26.7hrs on tuesday before i was on vaction in hawaii. basically took care of wednesday thursday and friday in two days AND im getting vacation pay.

In 40+ years I don't ever recall Oregon getting to the temps predicted for this week. When I lived in California as a kid it got close to that and we didn't even have AC...just went to bed as a sweaty little kid and toughed it out. But now? I had to shove a couple white trash window shakers in the house in preparation for what's coming because I'm too cheap to have someone plug in a real AC unit :D

It's 80 deg in Gresham at the moment tho...

Instead you have 3500.00 in white trash goodness hanging out of the windows... Seems legit :D

I passed ya earlier at the wally world

top-10-worst-diy-car-repairs-air-conditioning-repair-03.jpg

In 40+ years I don't ever recall Oregon getting to the temps predicted for this week. When I lived in California as a kid it got close to that and we didn't even have AC...just went to bed as a sweaty little kid and toughed it out. But now? I had to shove a couple white trash window shakers in the house in preparation for what's coming because I'm too cheap to have someone plug in a real AC unit :D

It's 80 deg in Gresham at the moment tho...

I remember several heat waves over 100 growing up in the Portland area. One that stands in my memory was August 1977, the week Elvis died, it was 100 that day, 104 the following day. I was 8 at the time and had no idea who Elvis was, my mother was very upset by it though as we drove around in a car with no A/C on a very hot day.

But the one that really stands out was this scorcher from 1981 - we didn't have A/C at home or in the cars, so it was even more unpleasant than this week's string of hot temps:

Portland, OR, August, 1981:

8/6 - 99
8/7 - 102
8/8 - 105
8/9 - 104
8/10 - 106
8/11 - 96

But the one that really stands out was this scorcher from 1981 - we didn't have A/C at home or in the cars, so it was even more unpleasant than this week's string of hot temps:

Portland, OR, August, 1981:

8/6 - 99
8/7 - 102
8/8 - 105
8/9 - 104
8/10 - 106
8/11 - 96

Remember this one well. Myself, a friend his dad and another guy were salmon fishing one day out of Garabaldi. We limited out, ( you could actually do that back then) and came back into Garabaldi at 11 am. It was 101 at the Old Mill. We bought more beer and ice went back out about 10 miles and 20 north and floated the current back south bouncing tuna jogs. We got some tuna and cam back in about 9 pm that night. Hotter than hell on that trip, although I remember the gf at the time though the beach at midnight and 75 degrees was pretty cool. :eek:

I love my job (HVAC) during weather like this. I ride around in an air-conditioned Sprinter van, fix a broken system (usually within an hour), get back in my air-conditioned Sprinter van and go to the next one, rinse and repeat for 8-12 hours ($$$$.$$) Then I come home to my house that's 72°F inside and chill out and wonder what all the sweaty, poor people are doing....

;):D

You wouldn't like servicing my heating and AC system in my house. It is in the attic and is hotter than Hades up there. Never seen so many screwy places to install FA furnaces and AC in houses as I have in Vancouver. They put them everywhere: in the kitchen, in the attics, in the dining room closet, outside of the house with exposed duct work and under the stairs. Every place I lived in for 64 years before buying my present house it was in the basement or if no basement in the garage.

You wouldn't like servicing my heating and AC system in my house. It is in the attic and is hotter than Hades up there. Never seen so many screwy places to install FA furnaces and AC in houses as I have in Vancouver. They put them everywhere: in the kitchen, in the attics, in the dining room closet, outside of the house with exposed duct work and under the stairs. Every place I lived in for 64 years before buying my present house it was in the basement or if no basement in the garage.

Annnnnnnd.... that's why I ONLY do commercial & industrial HVAC these days.;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top