JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those are some of the biggest Nutria I have ever seen ! I used to hunt them in Meridian Idaho when I was a youngster. I would set along the canal banks that surrounded farm fields and listen for them eating or watch the holes above the water line. He will remember that day for life. Good job sir.

You know as happy and proud I am of this kid, I'm equally as proud of these parents.
One the dad for not being into hunting or shooting but getting his kid involved anyway, and helping facilitate his safe learning.

Second the mom for taking an interest in what her son is doing and taking the reigns and showing her so son, momma knows whats up.

I'm doing for donating money so this kid could have his first rifle!
I'm in for $40!
Let me know!

What a fantastic story. I enjoy coming across these feel good stories every so often. So much on the 'net is negativity and drama.

We used to see them all the time when I worked on Nike campus, but the wife had never seen them before your pictures today. She was surprised at their size.

Thanks for sharing!

You know as happy and proud I am of this kid, I'm equally as proud of these parents.
One the dad for not being into hunting or shooting but getting his kid involved anyway, and helping facilitate his safe learning.

Second the mom for taking an interest in what her son is doing and taking the reigns and showing her so son, momma knows whats up.

I'm in for $40!
Let me know!
That is a great idea!! I'm in for 40!

I'll throw in $50! :s0155:

They are freakin out about nutria showing up in Kali now.

Brutus Out

Cool, they can run for public office!! ;)

I'm in for $40!
Let me know!

Well great minds think alike, all of Sunday I was thinking of who would trade me a rifle for Sam and how to give it to his parents so as not to hurt their pride. I even thought of the "raffle" he would win. But I am afraid it would not be doable. Although the Mom would be ok with it(I think) the Dad would most likely not. He would not even take pictures of Sam with the rifle in his hand.

Sam said he would help with 2 miles of new fencing at the ranch to pay for my "guide fee". Let me see what happens maybe if I load him up with lots of ammo........

they were about as big as i was when i was shooting them as a kid with grandpas 357.

nutria is quite the delicacy..... in louisiana.

yuck!!
It's true that they have good meat and very tender I might add. I would know since I shot a few in my day and ate them. In Europe and Asia they try to harvest them in winter when they have more fat and better fur. Here's a couple of pelts I have to remind me of my past nutria hunts. My ten month old boy is photobombing the shot
D2B201D9-797C-45CE-9BD9-22D53EBE3B77.jpeg

It's true that they have good meat and very tender I might add. I would know since I shot a few in my day and ate them. In Europe and Asia they try to harvest them in winter when they have more fat and better fur. Here's a couple of pelts I have to remind me of my past nutria hunts. My ten month old boy is photobombing the shot
View attachment 447112

Remeber how adorable he is right there.... it'll save his life when he's a teenager, you'll understand later... trust me on this! ;)

Nutria is colloquially known as "swamp rats" and are an invasive "non-native" species. They have fur much as does the Beaver. They can be harvested without limit and used as you would mink and beaver.

BTW, when I worked as a Mobile Armed Security Patrol Officer in Portland, I saw rats the size of cats among the "food carts" downtown.

Last Edited:
Nutria is colloquially known as "swamp rats" and are an invasive "non-native" species. They have fur much as does the Beaver. They can be harvested without limit and used as you would mink and beaver.

BTW, when I worked as a Mobile Armed Security Patrol Office in Portland, I saw rats the size of cats among the "food carts" downtown.

Those were actually either the food-cart owners, or City Hall employees on their lunch break. ;)

I've never hunted, kind of wish now I had that experience growing up. Good on you for getting that kid out there and involved. I'm glad both parents were willing to concede. Odd to me that it's mom that not only took him to hunter safety, but also got into the shooting herself, not what I would expect in the typical home. Still it's great the kid is starting out the right way and getting some great experience that he'll carry the rest of his life.

If it does go down that he can get a rifle, I'm good to toss some $$ in as well.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top