JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are great for hats, glove liners, and anything you would use mink or beaver fur to produce. It is legal to trap and kill them. I would like to see Hatco (the company that produces Stetson hats today) resume using Nutria fur again for their hat products. These would be an "eco-friendly" approach for their industry.

I was just wondering if one could tame down and train a bunch of them, then use them in a cheap post apocalyptic disaster movie. They could portray rabid mutant rats. Now I remember it has already probably been done. Plus when the filming is done, the extra "rats" go into the pot. Yumm yumm. :)

A great weekend with Sam and his Mother putting in fence and doing a little target shooting. Things are more complicated than even I could have imagined, a firearm nor ammo cannot be in their house even locked in a safe. I now know the grey area called "constructive possession". That does explain the apparent lack of interest in hunting and no pictures taken. I had several long talks with the Mother and told her of the support from this and other groups. We are not sure how to get him a rifle although she did ask if I could hold on to anything until he reaches 18 or will it be 21? Not sure how that would work. As you can guess they are a little ashamed and embarrassed about the matter. I talked to my family and we are thinking we need a summer intern on the ranch......

Angler: If you get a plan together to get the boy a rifle you can put me down to throw a bit in the hat as well. Well deserved in my book!

A young man that takes the inititive to educate himself, diligently seek out competent individuals to mentor him and isn't afraid to "work for his supper" is certainly the type of young man that deserves every bit of support our community can offer.

Last Edited:
Angler: If you get a plan together to get the boy a rifle you can put me down to throw a bit in the hat as well. Well deserved in my book!

A young man that takes the inititive to educate himself, diligently seek out competent individuals to mentor him and isn't afraid to "work for his supper" is certainly the type of young man that deserves every bit of support our community can offer.

Very well put!! Yes, young adults and kids like this are far and few between.

Good on you, angler! Thank you for sharing.

On first blush I assumed daddyo was a scaredy no nuts. Alas he is afeared but not without cause. Good on him also for tryna keep his life right.

I'd think you could have a "loaner" rifle for the young lad till he leaves the parents house, then give it to him when he moves out.

Sounds like this kid will go far in life with that attitude and maybe mentors like yourself.:)

Edit: now I feel bad for pops.:(

Last Edited:
It's true that they have good meat and very tender I might add.
Anyone catch the episode of 'Bizarre foods with Andrew Zimmern' where he went on the guided air boat nutria hunt in Louisiana? Shot them on the water then took them back for a Southern Style cook out on the bayou. Looked like fun and they went through the cleaning & cooking process.

They are freakin out about nutria showing up in Kali now.

Brutus Out
And the green tree-hugging Californicators (I moved out of California in 1993) will make the nutria a 'protected animal' because they're so cute and harmless. Harmless until they eat all the vegetation from the natural habitat of the California Spotted Flying Manatee©, which will require the formation of a fact-finding committee in Sacramento. The committee will "work" on the problem until the next state budget is hashed out and then receive a bigger budget. After 4 to 6 years of finding facts, the committee will recommend relocating all (now billions) of the nutria to parts unknown, and the state legislature will institute yet another tax levy to protect the endangered (sic) nutria, and to fund the permanent "Committee to Protect the Nutria". Sounds like a win-win situation, whether you happen to be a giant, voracious, smelly rodent or a nutria...

I just got off the line with Mike Miller of Northwest Hats in Eugene. He stated that the only Nutria fur bodies (machine blown on a cone form) come from Europe. They are shipped to a company known as Winchester in Tennessee.

I suggested that he make some calls to Europe and determine how someone in the Pacific Northwest and the Southeastern United States could begin shipping Nutria pelts en mass to their fur felt processing plant. If this could be accomplished, the Nutria population could be virtually eliminated. This would restore the ecological balance to these areas.

A win-win for all concerned.

Don't EVER want to totally eliminate the critters because they provide a great Shooting adventure. Besides, I would find it hard to believe that could even be done. They're prolific breeders and like prairie dogs; they eat whatever is left.

The state of LA used to pay you for each one you killed I don't know if they still do
Portland will probably pay you $20/animal to bring them home and keep them in your garden. More the better. Let them out so they can start city colonies. ...

Take me please. I have a gun and ammunition ready to go...

Thanks to all who replied and sent a PM. After more haggling then I ever thought possible or needed about firearms and young adults we have found a Remington 512 for Sam!! It will be kept at the ranch until such time as he can be assigned its ownership. Meanwhile he will be an intern at said ranch for the summer learning about cattle and horses and things that go boom. Several people have already donated items including homemade predator and duck calls, 22 ammo and a scope. And a special thanks to Todd who spent an entire Saturday teaching us how to hit flying objects with a shotgun, I even improved a bunch.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews