JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We have three problems

My son for medical reasons is switching to shooting left handed. he currently owns a Savage 111C in 30-06 RH

My son in law does not have a deer rifle. But does have almost 200 rounds of 25-06 ammo and about the same number of once fired brass.

I want to build a .35 Whelen based on a Savage 111 DBM action to be used as a Elk and Bear rifle

So I have figured out a way to solve all these problems in a way that is connected.

I'm going to buy a Left Hand Savage model 111 Trophy XP in .25-06
I'm going to buy a E.H. Shaw .35 Whelen Barrel
I'm going to buy a Boyds RH customized Prairie stock and shape the barrel channel for the heavy .35 Whelen barrel. I'll mount my Leupold VariX II 3-9X scope on it.

I will then put my sons 30-06 chambered barrel on the Left hand Model 111 Trophy XP giving him the left hand deer rifle he needs.

I will then build the .35 Whelen from my sons Right hand Action dropping it into the fancy Boyds Stock and mount the Leupold scope on it.

When Deer Season comes around and my son in law needs to borrow a RH rifle to hunt with I will swap the .25-06 barrel for the .35 Whelen barrel and drop it into my sons original RH synthetic stock The Leupold will go along for the ride and my son in law can use up the ammo he has. this rifle in this configuration will also suit him very well for Antelope or Coyotes.

So I buy one rifle one barrel one stock and end up with three rifles for three guys

The SIL is a big fisherman so he's not inclined to invest in a rifle but would like to go hunting with us when time permits.

I think I got it all figured out.

I love the idea of the Savage switch barrel, with all the tools swapping the barrel is a 10 minute ordeal, adjusting the scope is more trouble. The .35 Whelen just keeps calling me.....any cheap long action Savage catches my attention.

I belong to Four Corners Rod and Gun Club which is on my way home from work or just a 20 min run from home. So sighting a rifle is no big deal

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top