JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im getting ready to buy another AR, to replace my Colt I sold. I plan to spend about $1000.00 on one and want to know what you guys had in mind. I can spend up to $1500.00. Ive been looking at Stags and really like them... Ive kinda got it in my mind that I want a M4 style with some light weight rails and flip up sights, kind of a nice, light, compact, set up. Then again I keep thinking a standard 20" barrelled AR with a ACOG would be awesom. Talk me into or out of something please!!! It will be used for fun shooting and Home Defense.

All I would suggest would be to build your own. That way you can specify every piece to go on the gun. make it truly yours. Also would suggest a 16" barrel rather than a 20"...

Try this, it may help to get an idea on how things will look. Its not a perfect program, but its interesting at least...

http://www.ar15builder.com/

I would by a Colt 6920 or 6940; prices have come way down and they are the gold standard in AR-15 rifles & carbines. You can pick up a NIB 6920 for around $1200 and a 6940 for around $1400.

I would by a Colt 6920 or 6940; prices have come way down and they are the gold standard in AR-15 rifles & carbines. You can pick up a NIB 6920 for around $1200 and a 6940 for around $1400.

I think you are paying a HUGE premium when you buy colts, just for the name. You can buy off-the-shelf complete rifles for nearly half the cost from other well known companies and get a rifle of equal quality.

With that said, I recommend building your own. It's what I did, and its not hard at all. You can even save a little money if you shop diligently. I got a rifle 100% exactly how I wanted it and I paid about $750. This was last fall and winter, when even a basic AR was selling off the shelf for $1600 because of the craze.

Build you own. I bought a DPMS AP4 then then built my own (with Daniel Defense F.F. quad rail, Magpul CTR stock, Magpul Grip, M.I. BUIS, 4 Magpul magazines) for about the same money.:huh:

Definitely, wish I'd built the first one as well. The one I built is definitely my favorite (I traded off the DPMS) cause it has all the goodies PLUS the pride of building it myself.:s0155:

In the market now you'll probably be happy either way. Between finding new guns for sub $700, and stripped lowers for $55 and uppers for $300 you can't go wrong.

A good AR..is No AR at all.
I own two.. Not a big fan.. but You've got to have at least one right?..As for the reason I own two and still hate'em, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.
JMO. Sorry. :D

ZA_Survivalist. I have seen your posts on Outdoors Trader for months trying to sell on old Nagant and then buy a cheap AR. Thats a lot of work for something you dont like. If you bought a cheap rifle , you get a cheap rifle.

Back to topic. What you need to buy is an complete AR that has good fit and functionality, then learn to tune the rifle up the way you want it. Add the options to it, and make it as reliable as you can afford. If you get an upper and lower that just don't mend together, then you will have many more problems. That said, I buy Bushmaster rifles then get them to where all they need is a good regular chamber cleaning, to go bang every time.

Im getting ready to buy another AR, to replace my Colt I sold. I plan to spend about $1000.00 on one and want to know what you guys had in mind. I can spend up to $1500.00. Ive been looking at Stags and really like them... Ive kinda got it in my mind that I want a M4 style with some light weight rails and flip up sights, kind of a nice, light, compact, set up. Then again I keep thinking a standard 20" barrelled AR with a ACOG would be awesom. Talk me into or out of something please!!! It will be used for fun shooting and Home Defense.

get a stag m4 type then buy a standard 20" there problem solved

STAG and RRA both buy from CMT. :) They will be the same rifle with a different logo.

I love Rock River receivers. They fit nicely together without wobbling. But make sure you stake the carrier key!!

Better yet, buy RRA receivers and put other stuff on them. BCM/LMT are good choices.

I think building your own is definitely the way to go. You can make it just the way you want from go instead of buying a rifle and making changes. Also, it gives you a better insight into how the rifle works. -The barrel, the bolt carrier group, and the trigger seem to be the places to spend money on an AR where it actually makes difference.

There are plenty of resources online regarding how to assemble a lower receiver. If you are patient and go slow, you can put it together cleanly with very few tools. The last one I assembled was while watching Monday Night Football and it was a breeze.

The upper receiver and barrel assembly is a bit more specialty tool intensive. That said, you can probably pick up a good used upper for a decent price. Noveske is considered to make some of the best barrels available for the AR and I've seen some deals on lightly used uppers from them over the past couple of months as people shed some of their election panic purchases.

I understand the idea of having a budget, but the issue to me is would you rather get the rifle in under a certain number or would you rather get it right? There is no doubt you can find an AR that would fit your price point but there's also little doubt that if you decided to save a little more money that you could get one that would not be a compromise.

nope don't build your own .

once you get tools and no how your more likely to get BRF

BRF is Black Rifle Fever a serious addition which there is no cure.

once you get that 1 will not be enough pretty soon you'll have a half dozen

or if funds are not available you tear it apart just to put it back together again
spend hours on BR boards looking for great deals more info read about the latest gadget or accessory or how this red dot goes to 11, so you have more reasons to tear it apart to rebuild it again

you'll find the sudden urge to have several different types of sights on your weapon (like BUIS and red dots and lasers for the coolness factor then a scope for those hard to reach areas) or several different weapons with different sights.

your wife will leave you even your dog will leave you

don't do it man they all do the same thing they shoot 5.56 (aka .223) no wait now they shoot 6.8 6.5 5.45 7.62 and so on and so on

when will the madness end

Without beating jmy head against the wall (again) the only brands I would look at as far as complete rifles would be: BCM, Colt, LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, KAC. Since the Noveske and KAC are probably out of your price range, take a solid look at the others.

If you build your own, any in-spec lower will do, just put quality parts in it.

I purchased a BCM not too long ago, and couldn't be happier with it. The fit and finish is amazing, and it all just works.

Armalite Xmas sale, complete upper for $355 and you could prob find a complete lower for under $300.

<broken link removed>

yeh you cant beat that there is even a group R guns group buy for $55 lowers add a $50 lpk and a $60-80 stock total $500-550 you'll have enough to buy 2

Jeebus, there is some bad info here. Use "The Chart" but don't buy junk, and don't build your own unless this is a plinking toy. If you want a defesnive gun that is quality that you'll put your life on, put some real rounds through, spend some extra dollars and get a gun that's up to snuff. Most top tier makers make something in that range:

Chart: <broken link removed>

Bravo company complete (GandRtactical.com has these) (This may be the best value for the buck right now).
Noveske N4 Light or Light Recce (Best barrel on the market, better extras than 6920, upgraded bolt gear).
Colt 6920 (Gold standard, It may not be the prettiest, but the Colt naysayers mostly haven't put heavy formal training or lots of hard rounds through their guns).
Daniel Defense M4's are up there: New guns, but excellent quality. Good reviews so far from professional people.
LMT: Top notch. Only downers: FSB pins not tapered, non M16 carrier.

I have owned or handled all of these. They're GTG. I shoot 8000-12000 rounds per year through my working guns. And those are the only ones on the list I'd trust to continue doing that (Currently using a 6920 and a Noveske low profile).

p.s. Bravo Company is not on the chart because they only make uppers. GANDR is building lowers, and giving you a full top notch gun for about 1150.

<broken link removed>

Building an AR is not rocket science at all. I completely disagree with only building your own if for plinking. But I do agree on buying quality parts no matter which way you go.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top