JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.

Last Edited:
How I'm seeing his vision:

Ignore function by default behaves exactly as it does now. Someone ignores you, content for both parties are blocked from each other.

His change is to add a button to the IGNORED persons settings that is essentially; "let me see the content of this a$$hole who ignored me".

Other behaviors would not change, just the ability to see the content of the person who ignored you.

Not something I'm really THAT interested in, but I can see his point of view. It's just an option, it's not forcing anyone to do anything differently.

Worth the time to research and implement? It wouldn't be a priority if I were the person in charge, but if something simple and easy came along, I could see the value in giving my members the option.

FWIW: I've never logged out to see the content of someone who's blocked me. I don't think there are many who have anyway.

I don't block anyone, if they're a consistent knob I just skip over their post, or (if they REALLY rub me the wrong way) I'll troll the living HELL out of them (I can think of at least three) until they violate the rules to the point that @Andy54Hawken bounces them out the door.

BTW- I usually laugh when I have a doo-doo.

not really. :s0098:
i feel attacked

Why worry about some random anonymous person on the internet?
I don't worry at all. But I tend to think of myself as a reasonable, thoughtful person who was raised with manners. So in that regard, if my behavior is such that I'm constantly upsetting the social fabric around me, I would want to reflect on it.

Problem is..too many people act is if the "people" they're interacting with are just "random anonymous people". Maybe that's the problem.

In other words..yes it's the internet. Doesn't mean I need to be a d!ck..I would disappoint my dog.

I don't worry at all. But I tend to think of myself as a reasonable, thoughtful person who was raised with manners. So in that regard, if my behavior is such that I'm constantly upsetting the social fabric around me, I would want to reflect on it.

Problem is..too many people act is if the "people" they're interacting with are just "random anonymous people". Maybe that's the problem.

In other words..yes it's the internet. Doesn't mean I need to be a d!ck..I would disappoint my dog.
True, but there are a lot of gun owners in here that don't like being asked how they voted when complaining about a new draconian gun law that they weren't aware of.

Last Edited:
@Bobbygun

Nothing has changes except a concession to make a manual process automatic. Under my original conception you always could ignore someone back by just clicking the ignore button on their profile after they had ignored you. I just added it as an automatic option so it would literally be no different than what we have now.

This has been updated in the OP.

Edit; wrong quote, fixed now.

Last Edited:

I get where you are coming from, as I try and do the same...but in the end, you only have control over your own actions, not someone elses....
As hard as it is to believe, I bet there are people out there who don't like me 😃

Instead of complaining about holes in a thread, the complaint would be that such and such is ignoring your posts and not responding. I could see that being equally confusing.

It happens all the time? I don't even get back to everyone who has quoted/at'd me, and I consider it a matter of politeness to at least throw a reaction on it to acknowledge I have seen it. Sometimes there is just too much content, or I did not have time to respond when I first saw it and then I forgot to go back, or a million other tiny reasons. Hell, if someone is not replying to your direct engagement they may not even be "ignoring" you in the technological sense, they may just be straight up ignoring you. Why would it be important to know the difference?

Now in my original conception I did assume you would get an alert or see a flag on their profile or see them added to a list on your profile somewhere, or some other such method to know when you got ignored (so you could ignore back if you so desired, or not try to engage them in a one sided conversation), and that might still be a good idea to cover the "ignored when meant to follow" issue that was mentioned before, but I don't really know how much of a problem it would be if you didn't know if you had been ignored. Like, if you never knew that person ignored you, how would it really impact you? That might be a good point to discuss and get different takes on.

I get where you are coming from, as I try and do the same...but in the end, you only have control over your own actions, not someone elses....
As hard as it is to believe, I bet there are people out there who don't like me 😃
I mean, that is not exactly true in the context of this conversation. When you ignore someone here you also force them to ignore you, even if they didn't want to do that. . .

It happens all the time? I don't even get back to everyone who has quoted/at'd me, and I consider it a matter of politeness to at least throw a reaction on it to acknowledge I have seen it. Sometimes there is just too much content, or I did not have time to respond when I first saw it and then I forgot to go back, or a million other tiny reasons. Hell, if someone is not replying to your direct engagement they may not even be "ignoring" you in the technological sense, they may just be straight up ignoring you. Why would it be important to know the difference?

Now in my original conception I did assume you would get an alert or see a flag on their profile or see them added to a list on your profile somewhere, or some other such method to know when you got ignored (so you could ignore back if you so desired, or not try to engage them in a one sided conversation), and that might still be a good idea to cover the "ignored when meant to follow" issue that was mentioned before, but I don't really know how much of a problem it would be if you didn't know if you had been ignored. Like, if you never knew that person ignored you, how would it really impact you? That might be a good point to discuss and get different takes on.
Pfft...you should just put me on ignore if you aren't going to acknowlege all my pearls of wisdom.

You lost me there..Did someone ignore you because you asked them about their vote?
Just an example. There's plenty of reasons for someone to ignore another. @sobo is on ignore lists, and other than defending Sig's honor, and mentioning that voting has consequences, really isn't very likely to land on an ignore list.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top