JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard very similar stories from CL. Purebred dogs, jewelery, guns, drugs etc, anything where your either bringing a high dollar item to sell or buying one (generally, for "just" a bit too good of a deal but not so good that it isn't feasible).

Bring a friend (or 2 - I have dropped a friend off and had them blend in just like the OPs story on one occasion when I was worried but he was the to protect me not to rob someone;)), if its jewelry then tell them to meet you at a Freddie's and them when they get there ask them to meet you inside at the jeweler - they will do a free appraisal on the spot, dogs I always meet at their house to see the parents, and drugs... Well I don't have any advice on those other then don't do em:p.

About 50% of the NWFA members I have met have come with another person, and that is a good idea. I have always been by myself.

I won't sell on Armslist or any of those others - I tried a couple of times and the people were just too flakey - jerking me around on whether they wanted my stuff or not. Never actually got to the point of actually setting up a meet.

I guess I have been lucky.

It seems to me that criminals must be really stupid to want to ripoff a person buying or selling a gun. The chance that the buyer/seller would have a gun, be willing and able to use it, is pretty high - so that's a pretty good way to get shot. There are better items, like cars, or computers, or anything besides a gun, that would be better to work with if you want to ripoff a buyer/seller.

I have my Taurus PT-1911 on Armslist fer sale.

I rec'd an email this AM stating;

"I have 2 guns to trade that are worth more than your 1911 if you will come to Eugene".

That's it.

So, I won't be here for a while. I'm off to Eugeneo_O:rolleyes::confused:

I've about had it w/Armslist, but I've sold many guns there, as compared to 1 here...........:D:(

I never meet at my house, Always at the store parking lot not far from my house.
Maybe from now on some of you NWFA members in Portland should roll in pairs...
I am also always early, packing heat and never let my guard down.

Terrific idea. If any NWFA members want to meet in the Olympia area for this purpose, I'm game!!!:)

I'm retired, fish a lot but in a pinch I'll be a good backup.

Last Edited:
I would have called the cops giving them all their locations and watched the show.
Those guys are ready to jack someone and possibly do them harm.
They missed you, but what's going to happen to the next guy?

Should have scheduled a 2nd meet up somewhere dark and out of the way.
Post it on here and get a few volunteers for a counter op.
Turn the tables and make sure they never do that again.

I'd show up.

Rules of a gun fight:
1. Bring a gun
2. Bring two guns
3. Bring friends who have guns

4. Bring more friends with guns than the other guy. Just make sure he doesn't know it

Stuff like this really pisses me off. These guys should not be on the streets, or breathing for that matter.

Wow. What a story. Appreciate the heads up. I've only had a few sales/purchase experiences and they've been through NWFA and excellent......so far, knock on wood.

I love Sig's. Curious what Sig are (were) you selling for $1200? That seems low for an X-5 and a tad high for a Supermatch.

He messaged me, I have a Glock for trade and he said he had a Sig P226 MK25 for sale, it came with 9 magazines a TLR, a Blackhawk SERPA and a couple other things. All total the value to me was worth the 1200 because I have a MK25 and figured my Father needed one too. Sorry Dad. :(

There's one guy on AL that always offers $150+ LESS than I list for, and I think I list at FAIR prices.

Some times he offers 2-3 times on the same gun:rolleyes::confused::confused::rolleyes:

I always thought that was you:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):)

I'm only cheap because that's the only way I can shoot!:p

A wife in college and a daughter about to go off to one has my wallet twisted in knots and only dust comes out now:confused:.

I'll lowball Ya but I try to at least have the decency to do it only once per item:oops:

NO Sir, I wasn't aware that was even an option. Is there a admin available through the site? I'll check it out.

Are you a registered member of AL?

I do believe there is, I'll also see what I can find.

Look into the FAQ's under scams is all that I have found so far.

#3 Q: What should I do if I've been scammed?
Please do the following:

Last Edited:
I was re-reading some of this, and came to the conclusion that;

These guys were all on Meth.o_Oo_O:confused::confused:

The main problem with Meth is it takes all rationalization and fear away from the user.

That's why meth users scare me more than almost everyone else.:(:(

Even more than some of the users of NWFAo_Oo_O:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Back in nevada private gun sales were much easier on Armslist or forums. I'm now extremely skeptical since moving to the portland area. Not only is Armslist worthless and full of crap and people that should never own guns, so are the forums. Just more people I guess. Since taking a position with a local retail store that sells firearms I have further established my opinions and beliefs about the type of folks living in and around this area when it comes to firearms. I still post things here and on armslist and a few other choice places, I make myself very clear in my ads. Once communication is established, if they can't understand or chose to ignore my simple instructions included in the post, I simply ignore the communication and move on.

I've been through a few interesting private sales, not all were firearms, to have learned my lessons.

A few rules I have:

Cash only. Cash only. Cash only. Any sort of communication stating otherwise immediately gets ignored. Unless trade is the topic. Same goes for this, I list my trades, if I state all other offers and bs will be ignored, they will.

You meet me where I say we meet. If they refuse, "I'm the seller I make the decision". I'm the buyer, I make the decision". Anything funny or random gets ignored. I cut communication. I'll work with the person via phone call only, no text or email debate. I want to hear your voice and your reasoning behind meeting elsewhere. Most have complied. Especially gun sales.

Never bring cash if it doesn't feel right. Make the meeting place near a bank or ATM location. If they really want to sell you the item, they are willing to wait for you to get cash and come back, or follow you to the bank and back.

Absolutely never meet anywhere but a local well trafficked area. If it is a firearm transaction. Meet at a gun store, or place that sells guns. Under no circumstance meet at your home or theirs.

Stay by your car. Don't put distance between your car or the item and them. Show the item inside your car. Do not let them do anything put inspect the item. IE tacticool the rifle and aim it anywhere but the inside of your car. Be a dick, real gun folk will not be offended if asked politely not to pretend to tacticool a dry fire drill in the parking lot.

If at anytime anything feels funny. Walk away. Again, be a dick. It is okay. You don't even have to wait till they get there. Get in your car and drive away. If you are talking and something strange makes you get the goosebumps. State there will be no sale, and leave.

Keep your phone in your hands at all times. I keep mine at the ready till I feel comfortable. I have left on a guy once. He left faster than I once I stated there was no sale. If not for the phone being in my hand I would not have got his plate. I reported it once I got home.

Carry. Carry. Carry. If you have a CHL. Use it.

Following these rules as well as a few other minor steps. I have sold and purchased many firearms and other items.

Good story OP, I'm happy to hear you did not walk into a mess.

To everyone else here, be safe out there!

I say you reschedule the meeting and a bunch of us join you dressed like this

ioQPanJ.jpg

Cash only. Cash only. Cash only.

Go to your local office supply store and get yourself one of those marking pens for checking bills for authenticity. Check EVERY bill in the transaction, even if it takes a bit more time. The big rage now is fake 5's. Nobody thinks to check the smaller bills. We caught a couple a couple weeks back. If anybody questions you, might be time to assert some attitude.

or follow you to the bank and back.

Never. When you leave the agreed upon meeting place, and they follow you, they have a chance to change tactics, and you have completely changed the dynamics of the meet. It could go from a reasonable deal to a rip off in the time it takes to drive there. They may decide the deal is off if they can extract another $ 1,000 dollars from you.

Again, be a dick. It is okay. You don't even have to wait till they get there.

If your gut reaction is bad, it is bad. Do not ignore those little voices. Rips offs will telegraph their intentions fairly quickly in the meet.

Agree 100%. I always take one other person with me and go with others in the same capacity. Usually one of my boys or one of their friends, who are all 6' 2" or better, goateed, my bearing screams military all the way, or one of my old guy friends, usually the Nam vet with his biker jacket on, under which is his 1911. This persons job is to stand off to one side a very short distance and monitor the person and anybody who came with them. They do not participate in the conversation or deal. They stand here acting bored and 1/2 pissed off.

Keep your phone in your hands at all times. I keep mine at the ready till I feel comfortable. I have left on a guy once. He left faster than I once I stated there was no sale. If not for the phone being in my hand I would not have got his plate. I reported it once I got home.

Being an old fossil, I still roll with pen and paper. When that person rolls up on the meet, my partner assess them in the vehicle, and I make a very obvious show of getting my pad and pen out and writing down the plate. When the deal is done, snap a picture of the car and occupants as they get ready to leave. What are they going to do ??

As stated before, be there first. Trying to assess and order your thoughts as you roll up is harder and you have a tendency to forget or overlook something.

Great points Reno911...thank you.

Sam Elliot's mom taught girls physical education at my high school.
He showed up one afternoon to take her out to lunch.
Every girl out on the gym floor went nuts hearing him talk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top