JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a heads up, and a reminder for some who may need it.... sorry for the long post

Friday evening I was supposed to meet an individual to purchase a Sig handgun. I had been communicating with him via Email for a few days. Something seemed a little off on the guy, his emails were really vague and he wrote like a 1o year old (not judging, just an observation, people who are selling 1200 dollar Sig's are usually better communicators) and the email was clearly a secondary, the name that came up was a females name. I observed this, but I figured "meh, people like their privacy". Red flag number one.

He emails me yesterday afternoon and he said that he could meet me, but it had to be soon behind the Fred Myer in Hillsboro. He was really specific about behind the Fred Myer... red flag number 2. I didn't reply to the email straight away as I was busy with errands. By the time I replied it was 6pm. I told him I would meet him by the garden entrance at 700pm. I was already meeting a member from here at 5, somewhere else. He said ok and he would see me there, he would be in a white Honda civic 4 door. And he asked if I would be bringing anyone. Red flag number 3. I told him no, should I? Are you? and he replied "no, lol jus checkin man, see u at 7 by the garden part" (SIC).

So by this time I had already decided to tread lightly as my spidey senses were going all crazy. I finished up at my first meet up and headed over to Fred Myers. It was 5 pm ish. I pulled up and parked to the left away from the garden lot , where I could observe it amongst the other parked cars with relative anonymity, I had never told him what I was driving. I learned a lot in the Marine Corps about surveillance and counter surveillance and thought I would dust some of my teachings off.

At a little after 6 I see a white civic pull up, its riced out, whale tale, loud muffler, tint the whole "hey im fast and furious" look. occupied by 4 teenage boys. I thought, nah, no way....this cant be them. They park after the driver takes special care to park his car facing front out towards the exit. each time a "better spot" comes open he moves his car closer to the exit. Weird, I thought, that's what Id do too if I was anticipating the need for a hasty tactical egress...

around 630 the three passengers exit the vehicle. They are all dressed like thugs. Baggy clothes hats sideways or hoods up. It couldn't have been more stereotypically comical. They don't go into Fred Myers mind you, they take up positions randomly throughout the parking lot, each having line of sight on the driver and his car. then one proceeds to "hide" by crouching down behind a car, one walked around the building corner and the other was standing on the sidewalk by the road. smoking. wow. ok. the guy who said he was coming alone has 3 point over watch....

I watched for a while, and could see them watching their friend, trying really hard to look nondescript. I was laughing a little bit when the guy emailed me and said "hey Im here" I replied "ok man, im on my way" as soon as I sent that, he flicks his lights 3 or 4 times and his buddies nod and the one crouching behind another car pops his head up , gets a thumbs up from the guy on the sidewalk and go's back down like a gopher.

Needless to say, I didn't meet the guy, I emailed him and told him something came up and I couldn't meet him this evening. Even though I typically carry on Armslist meets, and was last night, It was hardly worth the risk / reward numbers in my head.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me before. I wonder what would have happened if I had rolled in there without paying attention to my gut feelings. any way, a cautionary tale and what not. stay safe guys, there appear to be evil doers afoot.

Crazy man.

A few rules I live by as well. If somebody advises a spot in there early. If I advise spot it's because it's a well traveled spot with open lines of sight.

Glad you kept your eyes open.

I have only had a handful of Armslist encounters. They have all been good. That right there is crime show drama worthy. Glad your spidey sense was tingling and you had the awareness to not walk into it.

Man.. The more I deal with folks on Armslist the less I want to in the future.

Seems like NWFA is my only source aside from an FFL.

Seriously though, glad to had your wits about you.. That sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.. That and 4 dead teens isnt worth the $1200 they were going to steal from you. Guess they dont cherish their lives.

Seriously.. What did they think was going to happen? They'd all have a magic get away? odds are one would be dead for sure.

I have only had a handful of Armslist encounters. They have all been good. That right there is crime show drama worthy. Glad your spidey sense was tingling and you had the awareness to not walk into it.

Ive never had a bad Armslist deal either, certainly nothing like that. To be honest they have all been pretty decent. there's been a couple deals that I could tell the guy just wasn't a "people person" and that's fine, I can deal with attempting to make awkward conversation, but this was just out of this world. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes I would have never believed it. I swear these guys may just as well have been wearing burglar masks, striped shirts and doing the exaggerated bad guy creep walk.

Crazy, Ive never had an experience with like that, ive traded lots of guns but luckily never had a bad experience like that. Typically though if they communicate like a teenager or a "thug" I don't deal with them. I always keep a gun close just in case.

Guns, serious chunk of cash, flamboyant gang punks, sketchy communications... what could go wrong there?

It would be funny to observe how the whole thing might go if the buyer were a uniformed police officer. "Hey, sorry I'm late, had to stop at the ATM. I'm Dave... you Hector?"

Man.. The more I deal with folks on Armslist the less I want to in the future.

Seems like NWFA is my only source aside from an FFL.

Seriously though, glad to had your wits about you.. That sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.. That and 4 dead teens isnt worth the $1200 they were going to steal from you. Guess they dont cherish their lives.

Seriously.. What did they think was going to happen? They'd all have a magic get away? odds are one would be dead for sure.

I keep playing it out in my head, the only thing I can rationalize is that at some point by signal or something they were going to all rush me at once? Steal my money and bail? Maybe they thought because I was buying a gun I wouldn't already have one? It blows my mind. I don't know if they had guns, hell at this point I'm thinking there wasn't even a Sig to be sold. I think they thought they would jump me, steal the cash and be out of there.

I like bank parking lots during business hours for this type of thing. Lots of people, lots of cameras. If the seller balks at that, there's red flag #1.

Ive never had a bad Armslist deal either, certainly nothing like that. To be honest they have all been pretty decent. there's been a couple deals that I could tell the guy just wasn't a "people person" and that's fine, I can deal with attempting to make awkward conversation, but this was just out of this world. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes I would have never believed it. I swear these guys may just as well have been wearing burglar masks, striped shirts and doing the exaggerated bad guy creep walk.

With funny music.

I keep playing it out in my head, the only thing I can rationalize is that at some point by signal or something they were going to all rush me at once? Steal my money and bail? Maybe they thought because I was buying a gun I wouldn't already have one? It blows my mind. I don't know if they had guns, hell at this point I'm thinking there wasn't even a Sig to be sold. I think they thought they would jump me, steal the cash and be out of there.
How foolish they are.. They are going to wind up getting shot in the near future if they try that on the wrong person..

Props to you for your situational awareness and your reactions. You were being set up for a rip off. That is so classical criminal behavior. You have to wonder how may times they go thorough the drill. He lied to you multiple times, and was clearly setting you up. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about things like this, we can all learn from it.

Good job. Semper Fi.

Scary story. These guys were definitely up to no good, but I would have loved to know what they actually thought they could pull off. Sounds like they've maybe watched a few to many movies about gang bangers and actually thought they knew what they were doing. I'm glad you listened to your instincts. That was a good decision.

I've had numerous interactions on Armslist, and while it's not my preferred place to buy/sell, I've yet to have a poor experience with anyone there. I do prefer to do business with NWFAers whenever possible though.

The whole meeting behind fred meyers would of been enough to call it off, who meets in the back of a building while trading guns?

Right?? I didn't even consider it a viable option. I get not wanting to have a gun out in a parking lot during a sale, but there was no way I'm meeting someone behind a big box store with over a grand for a firearm.

The reason there is so much stalling and ambiguity going on is they have no idea how the rip off is actually going to go. These as# clowns don't rehearse this scenarios. Picking a large lot like Freddy's is to blend in with crowds. They strictly wing it all the way.

I do not do many of those deals, but I specific the location. Not them me. If they balk, F them. Behind Fred Meyers ?? Really ?? May has well said this is going to be a rip off.

I use a wide open lot under cameras from 2 different business's, located at a high volume intersection. There my be another car in the lot, which will be occupied with one or two of my sons, both armed and ready to assist. After Afghanistan, some hood rats are no problem for them.

I watch hours of camera footage on criminals. They are so stupid and they telegraph every move. Everything they do is predictable.

They had obviously worked this out while burning blunts in the car on the way there. They have no tactical training. You have lots. No match.

:s0040: is good sense.

Just a heads up, and a reminder for some who may need it.... sorry for the long post

Friday evening I was supposed to meet an individual to purchase a Sig handgun. I had been communicating with him via Email for a few days. Something seemed a little off on the guy, his emails were really vague and he wrote like a 1o year old (not judging, just an observation, people who are selling 1200 dollar Sig's are usually better communicators) and the email was clearly a secondary, the name that came up was a females name. I observed this, but I figured "meh, people like their privacy". Red flag number one.

He emails me yesterday afternoon and he said that he could meet me, but it had to be soon behind the Fred Myer in Hillsboro. He was really specific about behind the Fred Myer... red flag number 2. I didn't reply to the email straight away as I was busy with errands. By the time I replied it was 6pm. I told him I would meet him by the garden entrance at 700pm. I was already meeting a member from here at 5, somewhere else. He said ok and he would see me there, he would be in a white Honda civic 4 door. And he asked if I would be bringing anyone. Red flag number 3. I told him no, should I? Are you? and he replied "no, lol jus checkin man, see u at 7 by the garden part" (SIC).

So by this time I had already decided to tread lightly as my spidey senses were going all crazy. I finished up at my first meet up and headed over to Fred Myers. It was 5 pm ish. I pulled up and parked to the left away from the garden lot , where I could observe it amongst the other parked cars with relative anonymity, I had never told him what I was driving. I learned a lot in the Marine Corps about surveillance and counter surveillance and thought I would dust some of my teachings off.

At a little after 6 I see a white civic pull up, its riced out, whale tale, loud muffler, tint the whole "hey im fast and furious" look. occupied by 4 teenage boys. I thought, nah, no way....this cant be them. They park after the driver takes special care to park his car facing front out towards the exit. each time a "better spot" comes open he moves his car closer to the exit. Weird, I thought, that's what Id do too if I was anticipating the need for a hasty tactical egress...

around 630 the three passengers exit the vehicle. They are all dressed like thugs. Baggy clothes hats sideways or hoods up. It couldn't have been more stereotypically comical. They don't go into Fred Myers mind you, they take up positions randomly throughout the parking lot, each having line of sight on the driver and his car. then one proceeds to "hide" by crouching down behind a car, one walked around the building corner and the other was standing on the sidewalk by the road. smoking. wow. ok. the guy who said he was coming alone has 3 point over watch....

I watched for a while, and could see them watching their friend, trying really hard to look nondescript. I was laughing a little bit when the guy emailed me and said "hey Im here" I replied "ok man, im on my way" as soon as I sent that, he flicks his lights 3 or 4 times and his buddies nod and the one crouching behind another car pops his head up , gets a thumbs up from the guy on the sidewalk and go's back down like a gopher.

Needless to say, I didn't meet the guy, I emailed him and told him something came up and I couldn't meet him this evening. Even though I typically carry on Armslist meets, and was last night, It was hardly worth the risk / reward numbers in my head.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me before. I wonder what would have happened if I had rolled in there without paying attention to my gut feelings. any way, a cautionary tale and what not. stay safe guys, there appear to be evil doers afoot.

I have had people try to meet with me in the "Back of the store" several times. I usually tell them at that point meet me INSIDE the store instead and seldom give a vehicle description without knowing a little about them first, such as the rating system used here. Craigs list, forget it. I would have a sniper positioned out first LOL. Yeah not only were you set up for a hit, you saw a signal that sent a flat out "DO NOT SELL TO THESE PUNKS" Bell alarm. Also there are conservatively 200 to 300 thousand people that just disappear in the US every year... yeah that is true too. Start looking at missing and cold case files.
Use brains when meeting to sell firearms or are carrying large sums of cash as there are a special breed that prey on people that do that.

:s0040:is good sense !

Great job on listening to your gut and your situational awareness.
I would recommend making the Hillsboro PD aware, somebody make not be as prepared as you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top