JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To conclude: what is important is not the size of the tool, but how skillfully you use it.
At least that's what she said.
p.jpg

Last Edited:
Too bad California's new governor refuses to implement the death penalty. We could have asked the warden to test the different calibers on the San Diego murderer. After the 9mm kill him again with 40 and see if his death is any different than the first one.

This is a can of works, but I go by an article written by a trauma doctor, and he's seen the wounds of 9,.40,and .45. He states the .40 caused more damage by far, as I would expect, as it was created for police. Pick your poison though, but whatever you decide to carry, just be sure to carry it every day. I'll be a .40 guy forever.

I switched from .40 back to 9mm long before the FBI did. Modern ammunition and bullet design have negated the 9mm/.40/.45 "stopping power" debate, so I prefer the one that has the highest capacity and allows the most cost-effective training; 9mm happens to provide both.

The difference between me and the FBI is that they spent $100M of our money to figure it out and make the change...

My favorite for targets is the 40 S&W, a CZ 75 P-06. I seem to have less recoil than my Glock 19 as it is metal vs plastic. Next is an old Ruger Security 6 in .357 mag, also heavy. The Glock 19, because of the weight (actually only 3 3/4 oz difference loaded) and capacity, is my carry gun.

Wow. I thought this was a dead topic but 6 pages in one day proves me wrong (although the diversion into "size matters" didn't help).

I went .40 in my competition gun just to get Major power factor scoring. Like some above, I prefer the push recoil vs. snap of 9. And steel poppers go down no matter where you hit them. Why do I care? Economics. .40 has gotten so expensive it drove me to hand load. On the positive side, I've noticed 2nd hand .40 blasters have gotten really cheap.

If I had to only have one, it'd be 9 (although in my case .38 since I'm a revolver guy) but good thing I don't have to have one.

Last Edited:
Why does anyone care what other people think of their cartridge choices?

It validates their decision, or so I've been told. If you're not thoroughly secure in your choice, and someone disagrees with you, then what if they're right? If you argue loudly and change their mind (or at least shut them up) then you receive some validation that you are right after all. :)

I understand how cost of ammo is a factor, but for me personally it's not. I cast, powder coat, and reload, from range scrap (free brass and lead). There's not a penny's worth of difference in cost between the three calibers in question, for me.

Here's a great video regarding handgun calibers. Its title is
"Why Ballistics Gel Works and Caliber Arguments are Dumb"

Shoot what you like but don't trash someone because they don't like your favorite.

It validates their decision, or so I've been told. If you're not thoroughly secure in your choice, and someone disagrees with you, then what if they're right? If you argue loudly and change their mind (or at least shut them up) then you receive some validation that you are right after all. :)
Not this time.
The OP asked: "...why the loss in favor?".
People have tried to answer.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top