JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I ordered some HS-6 since it was recommended by a few members and one of my co workers. I plan on loading 147 or 124 grain poly coated bullets.

As for the press... Pelosi is buying me a Dillon. :)

My unused LEE Loadmaster is in the classifieds.

After watching a few videos on setting up the Dillon 750 my brain hurts. I will watch again when I feel like concentrating
Sorry to read you gave up on the Loadmaster without even trying it, and have been sucked into the D fanboys club. :(.
Lots of D add-ons on ebay to fix stuff fanboys seem to never mention, so here's a link to the D forum over at Enos, a good source for trouble shooting the D presses:
Your purchase is a good use of Pelosi money though :s0108:
:D

After watching a few videos on setting up the Dillon 750 my brain hurts. I will watch again when I feel like concentrating

You know? As a new loader your really better off starting with that single stage. Maybe if you were a mechanical engineer you could process all that info and dive right in. When you get a bunch of single stage rounds under your belt and get to understanding everything going on, you could then move on to "Big Blue" and all that.

Congrats on that HS-6. That's my powder for 9mm and.40.

You know? As a new loader your really better off starting with that single stage. Maybe if you were a mechanical engineer you could process all that info and dive right in. When you get a bunch of single stage rounds under your belt and get to understanding everything going on, you could then move on to "Big Blue" and all that.

Congrats on that HS-6. That's my powder for 9mm and.40.
I just bought a Dillon XL750 a few months ago. Never reloaded in my life, and the farthest thing from being mechanically inclined. I only do 9 and 45 so far, and have noticed the more I learn, how little I know about reloading. But it's going well. I've made some really accurate rounds for stupid cheap. The XL750 definitely has its quirks, but it's been an amazing machine overall and you can't beat the warranty or customer support.

I just bought a Dillon XL750 a few months ago. Never reloaded in my life, and the farthest thing from being mechanically inclined. I only do 9 and 45 so far, and have noticed the more I learn, how little I know about reloading. But it's going well. I've made some really accurate rounds for stupid cheap. The XL750 definitely has its quirks, but it's been an amazing machine overall and you can't beat the warranty or customer support.

I'm only guessing, but I'd say you might be more mechanically inclined that you think you are? I think I could do fine with setting one up, but I don't want to! I like the peaceful, Zen type time i spend on my Rock Chucker. Besides, I don't shoot enough to justify the price, or loosing the enjoyment I get for making round the way I do. :D

My Dad used two Dillon 650's, one for each hand.:D He bought the first new and the second dirt cheap from a gun show that was completely worn out and abused. He sent the parts into Dillon and they replaced every one, making it new again. You really have to like their guarantee.

I wish that I had taken one of them when he passed. My Dad kept me in 9mm, 5.56, 38 special and .357 magnum ammo no matter how much I shot. I would send back the empties and every Christmas, or when I drove up North to visit, he would hand me a full heavy box full of ammo. It has been 15 years or so and I still have a lot of ammo that he reloaded. Especially the 38 special wad-cutters. Great for punching perfect holes in paper.

I pulled some out at a friend's house and several of the younger generation had never seen them and couldn't believe that they were accurate. Lesson learned.:rolleyes:

I already posted my favorite powder for 9mm - Accurate #5.

I'm only guessing, but I'd say you might be more mechanically inclined that you think you are? I think I could do fine with setting one up, but I don't want to! I like the peaceful, Zen type time i spend on my Rock Chucker. Besides, I don't shoot enough to justify the price, or loosing the enjoyment I get for making round the way I do. :D
I definitely appreciate that, thank you. Really wish that was the case on being mechanically inclined:) But I think I watched 200 videos on YouTube to get me through it mostly. Probably about 3 of those 200 videos were about my actual press cause it's fairly new to the market. Lots of cussing and debating on whether to take Dillon up on that money back guarantee. Lol!! But definitely glad I stuck with it. I probably should've started on a single stage, but knew I'd eventually want a progressive. Still might get one to learn how to load bottleneck cartridges.

I started with the fist size Lee Loader kits. Great for learning on the cheap. I moved up to the Rock Chucker and now use a Hollywood Sr turret and Dillon 550 the past 20+ years. I'm good with this gear for a while. Very therapeutic activity.

I kinda put the cart before the horse here. I recently bought 3000 147 grain polymer coated "black bullets". A couple of pounds of HS-6 and 2000 cci small pistol primers as well as 1000 federal small pistol primers. I also have 26 pounds of once fired brass "by me".

I sold that lee loadmaster and I'm trying to decide between a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 750. I will be mainly loading 9mm and eventually 10mm. I could see loading 223 or 308 in the future. "Maybe"

Right now I want to focus on 9 and learn. I'm nit in a huge hurry since I have plenty of 9mm ammo and my shooting matches are all cancelled.

So would I regret getting a 550 after a few months? A friend of mine said I wouldn't regret not getting one that self indexes as well as loading components each time by hand. I lean towards the 750 but it seems more complicated than the 550 to me.

I kinda put the cart before the horse here. I recently bought 3000 147 grain polymer coated "black bullets". A couple of pounds of HS-6 and 2000 cci small pistol primers as well as 1000 federal small pistol primers. I also have 26 pounds of once fired brass "by me".

I sold that lee loadmaster and I'm trying to decide between a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 750. I will be mainly loading 9mm and eventually 10mm. I could see loading 223 or 308 in the future. "Maybe"

Right now I want to focus on 9 and learn. I'm nit in a huge hurry since I have plenty of 9mm ammo and my shooting matches are all cancelled.

So would I regret getting a 550 after a few months? A friend of mine said I wouldn't regret not getting one that self indexes as well as loading components each time by hand. I lean towards the 750 but it seems more complicated than the 550 to me.
Dillon still makes the 650. That was my Dad's favorite - he owned two at the same time. One for each hand. He never had a complaint. Is the 750 so much better?

I used my Dad's 650 for loading .41 AE. I liked it. My Dad did all the other calibers.

You sound exactly like me just 4 months ago when I bought my XL750. Never reloaded before, and I'm not the most mechanically inclined as I mentioned in a previous post. I started out on 9mm too. Now doing 45, and just got everything I need from Dillon for 10mm. Believe me when I tell you this, if I can do it, so can you! The setup for the press itself is pretty easy. Just learn the ins and outs of setting up your dies if you've never done it before. You got a lot of good people on here for help, and message me if you want if you need help on the XL750 specifically....if you buy one.
If I remember right, the 550 doesn't auto index?? I think that was the main reason I opted for the 750. Less I have to think about, I can pay more attention to priming, powder fill and bullet seating.

Damon? o_O

You shoot in rainier right? If it's the Damon I think you were shooting 45 last time I saw you at the range.

Funny range trip for me. Entertaining. :p

I do have 5-6 progressives but none are Dillon's.
I have them setup in a way that my left hand only does one thing during a cycle.
Like add a bullet or add a case but not both...no indexing, no primer pez dispensers either (like Lee).
Some have tube fed case feeders, some have tube fed bullet feeders, so my right hand never leaves the lever to add a component.
Something as basic as that has simplified progressive loading for me because it's almost impossible for me to do anything out of sequence.
That's why I'd never own a press without auto-indexing.
Buy the 750 or the 650 if it's still available.
:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews