JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course it depends entirely on your reason for buying a 9 mm revolver. If it's for fun and you like to play with exotic firearms, maybe S&W or Ruger has made them? For practical applications, the problem is that 9 mm was not designed to extract from a revolver, so you may need to load with "moon clips" to get the fired cases out. My suggestion is to get a .357 revolver instead.

RIA make one called the AL9.0 or something. Definitely can handle the +P+ since it is proofed in Czechia. I want one, too, but lately people got smart on the gun and now it is harder to find at good price. I think it is a 6-shot, and barrel may be 4 inches.

Edit: 8-shot!

Of course it depends entirely on your reason for buying a 9 mm revolver. If it's for fun and you like to play with exotic firearms, maybe S&W or Ruger has made them? For practical applications, the problem is that 9 mm was not designed to extract from a revolver, so you may need to load with "moon clips" to get the fired cases out. My suggestion is to get a .357 revolver instead.
Thank you

RIA make one called the AL9.0 or something. Definitely can handle the +P+ since it is proofed in Czechia. I want one, too, but lately people got smart on the gun and now it is harder to find at good price. I think it is a 6-shot, and barrel may be 4 inches.

Edit: 8-shot!

That was the one I was trying to remember but could not. The one I saw in an article had a 3" barrel.

The reason I want revolvers in 9mm, .40 (and maybe 10mm if it would also handle .40) and .45 ACP, is because there may come a time when revolvers are allowed and semis are not.

But I want 3-5" barrels, not snubbies.

Ruger made one, the GP100, in 10mm, with a 3" barrel. I have been on the hunt for one for about 3 months......they are hard to find.

I just bought a 3" Gp100 .357 last week, and it is on its way via UPS. Can't wait to try it out. Still would like to find the 10mm.

Smith & Wesson Model 986, takes moon clips
Smith & Wesson Model 547, "9mm M&P," ejects empties without moon clips but now this piece is a collector's item
Smith & Wesson made some J frame 9's but I don't recall the model numbers, I wasn't interested in pocket varieties
Ruger Blackhawk single action convertible with 9mm and .357 cylinders
Ruger SP101, this is slightly larger pocket revolver size, only avail. with 2.25 inch bbl, takes moon clips
Contemporary Charter Arms Pitbull Model 79920, only avail. with 2.2 inch bbl., doesn't need moon clips for extraction
Taurus Model 905, only available with 2 in. bbl, I believe it takes a clip for extraction.

I've owned one or more of most of the above. Not the Charter Arms nor the Taurus. I think there were some earlier Taurus 9mm revolver designs that are no longer in production.

I've owned a couple of the S&W Model 986, it's still in production in 2.5 and 5 inch bbl. I had 5 inch, these are nice guns, cost about a grand pre Covid, I don't know about now.

The Ruger Blackhawk convertible is still in production, about a $650 gun new. Various longer bbl. lengths. As a single action, you have to poke out the empties manually.

Ruger currently offers a Super GP100, a couple of target models, 8 shot, takes moon clips. Fancy target model. Avail. with 5.5 and 6 in. bbl. Cost about $1,500 or more, they are shown in Ruger's online catalog but I don't know if you can actually find one to buy.

There are probably more that I've forgotten about. There was a (original company) Charter Arms Pit Bull made back in the 1990's, it didn't eject empties as the current one does. It took moon clips. For a few years, Federal made special rimmed 9mm Luger ammo for it. I've replicated 9mm Luger rimmed ammo myself using .38 S&W cases cut back and resized, worked great in a Ruger SP101 in 9mm.

I haven't heard of the RIA. Doesn't surprise me that Chiappa makes one but they are so unconventional and relatively expensive, I've never paid much attention to them. So can't comment.

OP mentioned having a 10mm revolver. And being able to fire .40 S&W in it. Remember, both cartridges headspace on the case mouth. Which means there is a step in the chamber that the case mouth rests upon. The .40 is too short to rest on this step, so in effect it only headspaces on the moon clip (typical of the S&W Model 610 and the Ruger GP100). So what I've wondered is, during the short time the .40 bullet freebores until it hits the 10mm step in the chamber, does it hit it perfectly aligned? I've only owned the S&W 610's, and I seem to recall they had a step in the chambers. I also know some people do fire .40 in 10mm revolvers.

The only 40 S&W chambered double action revolver I know of is the Charter Arms Pit Bull. There may be others. I had a couple of Ruger convertibles that had one each cylinder in .40 S&W and .38-40. I think Ruger also made another single action in .40 but revolvers in this cartridge aren't common. My thinking is, if you are going to choose .40 S&W or 10mm, the latter is way more versatile. If you are a reloader, you can load 10mm down to .40 velocities very easily. And the 10mm case rarely poses the problems of small case capacity that the .40 does.

Back to the OP's original point. I'd never considered that revolvers might somehow be exempted from onerous firearms laws. As against semi-autos. All contemporary laws that I'm aware of have lumped them together as "handguns." It's funny how ideas and politics change over time. Back in the late 1960's, revolvers were a focus of legislators, at least certain ones. Those with short barrels. The watchword of the day was, "Saturday Night Specials." But for legal definitions, the revolver design wasn't singled out. A two inch barrel was a two inch barrel; it's just that there were doggoned few semi-auto pistol designs with 2 inch bbls.

I would think it more worthy of consideration to think about long guns being sliced and diced for legislation. Just for an extreme example, you might want to have one single shot rifle on hand in case they "pull an Australia" on us. My guess, if they clamped down on handguns, it would be all of them. Not one type. Although I've met at least one person who believes that his single action revolvers would somehow be exempted.

I have a ported taurus 692 is pretty slick 3 in barrel 9 and 357 cylinders single double action

Yes, this one, it was a discontinued model I couldn't think of.

Ruger Speed Six, 9mm.

P1050220.jpg
P1050229.jpg
Inked-P1000580-LI.jpg
You wont likely find one at the corner gun shop, but if you put out your feelers, these things sometimes surface.:s0060:

Last Edited:
A SP101 in 9mm would be a fine choice. I kind of secretly want one. That or a vaquero in 9mm. Damn Ruger...

The Blackhawk's are available in convertibles, including 9mm.

Originally available in just the full size Blackhawk, which is quite large (but remarkably well shooting), but later available in the slightly downsized Flattop version. The Flattop is quite svelte in comparison.

P1020787-2.jpg

And this shows how much more trim the Flattop is in comparison to the full size Blackhawk.
P1030438-zpsgnn4ickz.jpg

P1030183-zpsyn7jctlx.jpg

Last Edited:
The reason I want revolvers in 9mm, .40 (and maybe 10mm if it would also handle .40) and .45 ACP, is because there may come a time when revolvers are allowed and semis are not.

But I want 3-5" barrels, not snubbies.

For the .45cal look at a S&W 625. They made them in a variety of barrel lengths
For 10mm/.40cal look at a S&W 610. They made them in a variety of barrel lengths and cylinders (Smooth and "standard"). I have this model and it's a good shooter of both 10mm and .40cal
For 9mm, look at S&W 929, or S&W 986.

I've been eyeing the 625, as I've seen a few for sale on here.

For the .45cal look at a S&W 625. They made them in a variety of barrel lengths
For 10mm/.40cal look at a S&W 610. They made them in a variety of barrel lengths and cylinders (Smooth and "standard"). I have this model and it's a good shooter of both 10mm and .40cal
For 9mm, look at S&W 929, or S&W 986.

I've been eyeing the 625, as I've seen a few for sale on here.

Yes, I've thought about the 625 and the 325 both. I have a 460V and I am also considering having the cylinder modified to handle .45 ACP with moon clips.

Just bought this one. I think its kind of a hybrid between a full carry gun and a one you can still enjoy target shooting.
3" with nice sights...very smooth double action. 6 rounds. I looked at a S&W 640 as well.
Not cheap but S&W's continue to up and up. GLW purchase!

20201117_162606.jpg

I've got a S&W 929 in 9mm, it holds 8 with moon clips. Along with the BMT Mooner it is faster to shoot and reload than my 9mm semi autos. It's extremely accurate and fun to shoot!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top