JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a little of everything in semi-auto:

.380 auto (Kel-tec)
9mm (XD)
.40 (Glock)
.45 (Springfield M1911)
10mm (Glock)

... and then a buttload of milsurps in various calibers from 7.62 Nagant to 8mm Nambu.

The .40 is my carry pistol though. Best middle ground of power and concealability that I own.

I've got the xd subcompact in .40 and I love it. Recoil is very manageable even in the short barreled pistol and I feel confident in the stopping power of the .40. But I'm also with you in trying to keep my varying calibers limited, however I think you'll be sitting really good with your variation of the 9s 357s 45s and 40s. You'll pretty much have all the best handgun calibers at your disposal which I think would be excellent.

IMHO the .40 is nothing like a .45, more like a little bigger 9mm. I own all three calibers. If I want to carry more rounds then 9mm is fine, .40 is about the same. If I want to put a big hole in what I'm shooting at .45 is the right choice. Set the rounds next to eachother. You might mistake a .40 for a 9mm but the .45 round is clearly different.

hmmmm

9mm.jpg

I understand the dilemma. I was going to go with a 9mm when I first started looking for a pistol and ended up with an XD40 tactical. where it is not the best carry gun I do like it. I then bought a 9mm to carry. I wanted to stay with one round, but I,m glad I have both.

This thread wasn't intended as a 9mm vs .40 S&W thread, as I am aware of the balistic performance... I was simply trying to decide if it was worth adding another caliber to the handgun collection, and the question was pretty much asked as a joke. Obviously, I already have more powerful handguns in .357 and 45 ACP.

I have liked .40 I have a TON of .40 ammo so I told my self i was going to just stay with a .40... But recently I have been thinking about getting a 9mm 1 because they are cheaper to shoot. and 2 they are one of the most popular rounds out there.. So finding ammo for that cal. should never be to hard.

This thread wasn't intended as a 9mm vs .40 S&W thread, as I am aware of the balistic performance... I was simply trying to decide if it was worth adding another caliber to the handgun collection, and the question was pretty much asked as a joke. Obviously, I already have more powerful handguns in .357 and 45 ACP.

I started to rationalize rifle and handgun calibers, just so I could stock *more*! I skipped the .25, .32, and .40, keeping with the .22, 380, 9mm and .45 in the semi autos. Similarly, I skipped the .41 and .45 in my revolvers. I am always drawn to another, but, as I get older I learn to resist!

Bob

There's a number of valid reasons to go for the .40, but "9mm is for women" isn't one of them. If you need a pistol caliber to affirm your masculinity, it's because you probably don't have any other options for achieving that goal. :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top