Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

9mm or .40

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 9mmMike, Jan 2, 2010.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

Obviously, I'm a 9mm guy and have 3 already. One reason I've stayed with 9mm in carry pistols is I try and keep all calibers to a minimum (9mm, .357, .45) to make reloading and ammo collection easier. I have 3 - 9mm, 3 - .357,& 1 - .45. And, I am regularly given quality 9mm ammo so practice is free.

So why would I really need/want to move to .40 ?

I ask, cuz I see a super nice .40 on here that would fit my need on a new gun search, but am just hesitant to add this ODD :) caliber to my collection, thus making me have ANOTHER different ammo box to keep full.

2. Wallygator

Wallygator Albany, OR Active Member

I wouldn't hesitate to add it. It is not an odd caliber, if it was odd then lots of law enforcement agencies would not be using it.

wg

3. jordanka16

jordanka16 Albany, OR Active Member

I agree with Wally, it's an excellent caliber and my favorite in a pistol. The energy of the .40 can exceed all standard pressure and +P 9mm loads, and most .45 loads. The faster moving bullet will also expand more reliably.

4. 7.62 maniac

7.62 maniac Portland Member

With .40 S&w you get more punch than 9mm without the cost of .45. Whats not to like? Be careful though once you buy one gun in .40 you will only want more.

5. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

If you need to change your name let me know. 40s&wMike has a nice ring to it. :D

But of course, you would have to sell all your 9mm to me first. ;):laugh:

6. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I think 9mm vs .40 vs everything else is one of the most talked about topics on the internet! :laugh:

But in the end it comes down to what you want/need, and not other opinions :D

7. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

Variety is the spice of life. Get the 40.

8. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

I have the same thoughts occasionally.
    But then I remember that I can't shoot as well with any .40 S&W handgun I've tried so far, compared to my Glock 19.

Two other advantages the 9mm has for me are cost to shoot is significantly lower, and my wife has a Glock 26 that she is accurate with, and we can not only share ammunition, but I can share my magazines with her.

9. LogicBomb

LogicBomb Grants Pass Active Member

Get the .40...all this argument about .40 VS 9mm can be summed up with this "a hole is a hole and dead is dead"

10. Ethereal

Ethereal Kent, WA Member

the only solution here is to "get both" :thumbup:

11. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I really like the .40 round.

But you already have a few things in 9mm. Unless you want to stock another caliber, stay with the 9mm.

12. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I went with 40S&W because my brother did. Its nice to buy bulk ammo and split it. When looking at the 40SW vs the 9mm and 45acp, I liked the mixture of features the 40SW round gives fast and heavy compared to the 9mm or just the 45 acp of course its the middle ground. Plus I like the extra rounds double stack magazines can hold of 40 SW vs 45acp. I don't know if you ever shot metal plates, but im pretty impressed with the 40S&W round for energy.

Comes down to personal preference, personally if I had that many 9mm guns, I wouldn't.

$00.02

13. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

...even though it is my favorite caliber I do not particularly think you would want to change. I think you might be just as happy staying with the 9mm. It might suffer if you are ever shooting through glass or other hard barriers but for the vast majority of uses you will not see much difference from a practical standpoint.

14. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When I read the OP's first post Playboy, I assumed he was talking about your EMP. You should be careful about chasing away a potential customer!:D

15. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I went the other way. I started with .40, then during the ammo shortage of 2009 I bought a 9mm and a conversion barrel for my XD40, so I could shoot that. Then the 9mm supply dried up, so I bought a .357 Sig, which I WAS ALWAYS able to get ammo for. I say if you are getting a good deal on a good pistol another caliber is a GOOD thing.

16. Torqk911

Torqk911 Yacolt,Wa Member

I prefer both! I just got off of a fellow board member the Beretta 92/96 combo. Which you can easily switch between 9mm and .40 :p

17. badazzelanore

badazzelanore Silverdale, WA Member

Im looking into getting a G23 because every place that carries ammo always has .40 S&W in stock. Cheap ball ammo all the way up to Hi-Po Hollow points. I cant find any .45 LC and its hit or miss with the 410 as far as the 000 buck.

Ease of ammo accuisition is my major factor.

18. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

In my mind free ammo supersedes all other considerations.

19. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

I too have both calibers, and like them both. When 9mm was scarce, I could get 40SW and that kept me going to the range. Make sure you select the right shooting platform though - I think some are better than others.

20. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

No. ;)