JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have taken one in trade. It is 99.9% (wood & bluing) and is complete with front sight hood, multi switchable front sight options (bead, globe, etc), dust cover, original Weaver 4x scope and mount, rear peep sight with swing aside option and two discs, one for hunting one smaller for target shooting, original unmarred and stain free sling and two magazines (one in the buttstock still in plastic wrap). The bore is bright and shiny with lands and grooves that appear new. The only downside is the metal butt pad shows some evidence of old rust because there is a little bit of pitting. When I advertise it for sale I want to ask a fair price but since I have no idea what it might be worth I don't want to be scalped either (not that any bargain hunters here would take advantage of a poor old guy). I put a new 4x Simmons scope on it and shot about 20 rounds of CCI Mini Mag hollow points at our range and it will shoot one hole groups at 30 yards.
All replies will be read daily and any advice will be most appreciated.
Scott
Semper Fi

Last Edited:
Back before a required BGC on every private sale...I did a lot of buying , fixing up and then trading of various shotguns and .22 rifles....
I enjoyed working , shooting and keeping ( for awhile at least ) the Mossberg .22 rifles that I came across.

The Mossberg model 42 ( c ) as you noted is all complete and shoots nicely...
Which would seem to make for a higher dollar value or easy sale.

In my experience , the only Mossberg .22 rifles that command and get a higher price are the "US Property" marked models.

Mossberg .22 rifles are sadly underrated and do not sell well where I live.
In general , no matter the model , condition , or completeness , Mossberg .22 rifles , seemed to sell for around $150 - $275 or so...
With most going on the lower end of the scale.
Which is too bad...'cause as general rule , the older rifles are well made , shoot great and depending on the model , come with excellent sights.

With that said :
Its been awhile since I have gone to modern gun show...or seen a Mossberg .22 rifle for sale locally.

" COVID Pricing "...
As in high demand for firearms and low availability of firearms , as well as what seems to be higher than "normal" pricing... may play a part in pricing nowadays.

Prices , even in normal times can wildly vary from place to place and time to time.

So my range of $150 - $275 may be way off base for our current market situation.
Andy

Back before a required BGC on every private sale...I did a lot of buying , fixing up and then trading of various shot guns and .22 rifles....
I enjoyed working , shooting and keeping ( for awhile at least ) the Mossberg .22 rifles that I came across.

The Mossberg model 42 ( c ) as you noted is all complete and shoots nicely...
Which would seem to make for a higher dollar value or easy sale.

In my experience , the only Mossberg .22 rifles that command and get a higher price are the "US Property" marked models.

Mossberg .22 rifles are sadly underrated and do not sell well where I live.
In general , no matter the model , condition , or completeness , Mossberg .22 rifles , seemed to sell for around $150 - $275 or so...
With most going on the lower end of the scale.
Which is too bad...'cause as general rule , the older rifles are well made , shoot great and depending on the model , come with excellent sights.

With that said...
Its been awhile since I have gone to modern gun show...or seen a Mossberg .22 rifle for sale locally....
" COVID Pricing "...may play a part in pricing nowadays....
Prices , even in normal times can wildly vary from place to place and time to time.
Andy
Andy:

I have frequently read your responses to questions and the advice you have provided to many of us here and without exception have found everything you offered to be thoughtful and insightful. I really appreciate that you would take the time to assist me (again).
I gave the estate seller $600.00 in credit on this rifle based on it's age, condition, and the quality of the build. Like you, there was a time when I regularly attended gun shows, often as a dealer, but sadly that is also a thing of the past for me. All things considered a guy could do worse than owning an old, very welll made, like new, accurate .22 rifle. (Shouldn't everyone?) :rolleyes:
It looks like this one will be mine, all things considered. I have to admit I do really like the way it fits, shoots, feels, and handles.
Thank you for all you have done for so many of us here.

Scott
Semper Fi

@RetiredLEO
Thank you Scott for your kind words.

If you haven't checked out this website...its worth a look for those who own and appreciate Mosseberg .22 rifles.
www.havlinsales.com
Andy
Great site. This forum is such a great resource for information thanks to people like you with so much knowledge who are willing to spend the time to share it with the rest of us. It's greatly appreciated.
Scott

I traded a old old old Honda generator for one in about 50% condition about 5 years ago. I ended up giving it to a coworker that I turn sold it for $100.00
if that helps any.

From what my research and input from forum members (both this site and others) is that condition means a great deal as well as US markings, although they seem to be rare in decent condition. From what I've learned the (C) designation as opposed to the (A) & (B) model 42s carries a premium (many improvements and superior quality post war).
Thanks to everyone for your time and help.
Scott
Semper Fi

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR