Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

943 yds... "mountain" goat... Piece of Cake!

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by MacBookProAR, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MacBookProAR

MacBookProAR Stayton Member

Now that I have your attention

I'm behind the camera and my buddy gets credit for an amazing shot. We have some more video I'm still editing that should be up later this week. Some leading up to this shot and the prep work the day before as well as some other shots on smaller "targets".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAOyY6yO9MQ

2. thelendog

thelendog Milwaukie Member

saw that on the "other" site, was wondering when you'd put it up here. that is an amazing video as well as a sweet shot!

3. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

:eek:

Nice trace. I've never seen that before.

4. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

Pretty dang sweet video.
    That trace on the bullet almost looks fake

very cool

5. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

That's a **** of a shot. But the sheep looks like it's still kicking a little. I've never gotten into hunting. Just can't shoot an innocent animal I didn't have to kill to eat. People on hte other hand, I wouldn't be that upset. At least you can find plenty of them that deserve it.

6. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the details on the gear used. Nice shooting.

7. tsmith

tsmith seattle New Member

Did you go eat those rabbits you exploded?

8. MacBookProAR

He shot it at the base of the neck and believe me the animal felt absolutely nothing. It is kicking only because the nerves were cut. This was not just a pop-shot by any means at all. We practice at these ranges as well as we had been shooting at this range for the prior 2 days. These shots should only be taken by those that are confident and after much practice. Just like someone taking a 100yd shot should be practiced at that range. This was not the longest range we shot at either and he had a very good handle on where that bullet was going to go. This was the first shot of the day cold-bore.

He is shooting a very custom 300 RUM with 185gr Berger VLDs. Nightforce 5.5x-22x

Very nice setup if I do say so myself.

4539255245_3bed371d65_b.jpg

4539255245_3bed371d65_b.jpg

9. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Picture perfect shot! As far as those wondering about the "kicking", it doesn't get any better than that as far as putting an animal down. Once again, incredible! I KNOW that I could not take/make that shot. My hats off to you both.

10. MacBookProAR

Check out the other videos I have up on my YouTube channel. I have a few others with better vapor trail than that on them. They are from last season.

11. satinwood

satinwood Portland Member

Thanks for posting the video. I love it.

12. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

Those are cool, but I think this one shows the trail the best.

What camera are you using?

13. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Yes - very nice gear and both the RUM (although I want a 338) and the NF are on my shopping list. You are lucky to have such a nice area to practice in.

14. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Years ago...I have shot 1,000 yard DCM matches at Ft. Lewis range KD-22. If the conditions are right and you are early in the morning. Usually sometime in the summer. With a spotting scope you can see the vapor trail left by the bullet as it goes down range. At 1,000 yards a 30-06 at the top of it's arc is approx. 50 feet above the ground. If you look at the vapor trail in the video, you can see a very large arc to get the bullet on target. I am very impressed by the shooter for two reasons. 1, he knows his rifle VERY well, and 2, he has put alot of rounds down range. Practice makes perfect! Very good shooting.

Was this video taken early in the morning?

15. Atroxus

Atroxus Marysville, WA Member

Impressive shot. I almost choked when I read one of the comments though saying "Why don't you get your meat at the store where no animals are harmed." :wow:

16. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how do you know that wasn't the worst ahole of a goat ever? I think he was, you can see it in the video, not one of the other goats going over to help.

Also, if you can find plenty of people that deserve to die one wonders if your objective standards are really that much better than picking the closest 'scape' goat. Also, history has shown us that people, if properly prepared, are good eating, however, eating a modern American is not advised as the level of pesticide, herbicides, recreational drugs, and pure poison vile are all way above levels recommended by the CDC.

17. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

ODFW recommends you eat no more than 2 lbs of Multnomah County residents per month. People who are just passing thru Multnomah County can be eaten on a regular basis. :D

18. thelendog

thelendog Milwaukie Member

what did you use to determine range?

19. johnsjus

johnsjus oregon Member

Ya they grow it on the meat trees

20. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think this is being covered in another thread though, the one about 'the best places to get bulk food in the PDX area'.