Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

82 year old Oregon farmer holds would-be burglar at gunpoint (410 bolt-action shotgun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by CascadeSam, Mar 31, 2013.

1. CascadeSam

CascadeSam Portland Oregon Active Member

This story makes for an extra Happy Easter morning. Can anyone tell what make and model shotgun the man has from the picture and video that is in the link?

Oregon farmer holds would-be burglar at gunpoint

ALBANY, Ore. -- Weeks after a burglar made off with hundreds of dollars in tools and equipment, an 82-year-old Albany-area homeowner held another would-be burglar at gunpoint until police arrived.

The suspect, 36-year-old Justin Russell of Albany, was accused of entering and attempting to burglarize Jim Brazel’s shop in Lacomb early Friday morning. Brazel said noises from inside the shop woke him and his wife, so they both grabbed their robes and went to check it out.

Brazel also grabbed his .410 gauge shotgun. He said when he got to the shop he saw a man hiding behind his tractor, so he prepared to shoot.

“I didn’t know if he had a gun or not,” Brazel said. “I took it off of safety and was aiming at him and pulling the trigger.”

He said the trigger was about half-way down when the suspect stood up. Brazel said he decided not to shoot. But he wasn’t about to let the burglar get away either.

“I said, ‘You take one more step and this gun goes off in the middle of your chest. Do what you want,’” Brazel explained.

He kept his gun trained on the suspect, who remained still. The burglar chose well, Brazel said. Shotguns can have different barrel configurations, and his is set up for a tight shot pattern..

His wife grabbed a pick axe and positioned herself near her husband.

Twenty minutes into the standoff, Linn County deputies arrived and arrested Russell.

"He's making a mistake to try the country people," Brazel said. "Because 99 percent of us are all the same. We're not afraid to shoot."

Oregon farmer holds would-be burglar at gunpoint | NWCN.com Washington - Oregon - Idaho

2. jcw

jcw Washington Member

looks like my grandfathers old mossberg.

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Most older farmers have major hearing loss from the loud equipment they used. The thief must have been really noisy to wake them up.
    Probably the wife heard him.

4. Rotty

Rotty Skagit County Active Member

That is simply awesome!

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Well, there you are! No need for an AR and 30 rd mags. He didn't even need a double barreled 12GA like Biden recommends!

6. CascadeSam

CascadeSam Portland Oregon Active Member

In response to my comment at a pro-gun national blog that covers various gun issues, I received this reply to my comment:

"I am the man’s daughter. The gun he is holding is a Mossberg 410 shotgun multiple shot, bolt action, variable choke, full choke in picture. New in 1950."

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

SO it only took 20 min for the speedy guns alice Sherrifs dept to arrive on scene and save everyone.

8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I had to read this one three times to make sense of it. Did the spell checker mangle "Speedy Gonzales"?

9. harlequinforest

harlequinforest PDX New Member

Hahaha

10. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

20 minutes. Wow...

11. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

No, no, no...its Yeee-Haaa, Yeee-Haaa...Andrelay, Andrelay..Yeee-Haaaaaa!!!!!!!

12. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Good for the Old framer man!!! :sword:

Some here at NWFA would prefer that he stayed inside hiding behind the blinds in the dark. :paranoid:

13. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

I love the fact that the wife grabbed a pickax and stood next to her husband. Don't mess with grandma.

14. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I once had a rash of burglaries at my marina in the Ozark mountains of SW Missouri. Speaking to the sheriff on the phone, I asked what I should do if I caught the burglar during the 30 minutes it would take for the sheriff to arrive. The reply was, "Oh, he'll probably fall down a lot.":laugh:

15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I'm glad the perp did not press the issue and I would hope GPA upgrades his hardware

My lady backed me up once in a scary situation with her drawn .357 magnum. Any smart farm gal protects her mule

16. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

No thanks. I will take a Glock or AR sir. I will skip tye bolt action.

Flopsweat and (deleted member) like this.