JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This story makes for an extra Happy Easter morning. Can anyone tell what make and model shotgun the man has from the picture and video that is in the link?

Oregon farmer holds would-be burglar at gunpoint

ALBANY, Ore. -- Weeks after a burglar made off with hundreds of dollars in tools and equipment, an 82-year-old Albany-area homeowner held another would-be burglar at gunpoint until police arrived.

The suspect, 36-year-old Justin Russell of Albany, was accused of entering and attempting to burglarize Jim Brazel's shop in Lacomb early Friday morning. Brazel said noises from inside the shop woke him and his wife, so they both grabbed their robes and went to check it out.

Brazel also grabbed his .410 gauge shotgun. He said when he got to the shop he saw a man hiding behind his tractor, so he prepared to shoot.

"I didn't know if he had a gun or not," Brazel said. "I took it off of safety and was aiming at him and pulling the trigger."

He said the trigger was about half-way down when the suspect stood up. Brazel said he decided not to shoot. But he wasn't about to let the burglar get away either.

"I said, ‘You take one more step and this gun goes off in the middle of your chest. Do what you want,'" Brazel explained.

He kept his gun trained on the suspect, who remained still. The burglar chose well, Brazel said. Shotguns can have different barrel configurations, and his is set up for a tight shot pattern..

His wife grabbed a pick axe and positioned herself near her husband.

Twenty minutes into the standoff, Linn County deputies arrived and arrested Russell.

"He's making a mistake to try the country people," Brazel said. "Because 99 percent of us are all the same. We're not afraid to shoot."

<broken link removed>

Most older farmers have major hearing loss from the loud equipment they used. The thief must have been really noisy to wake them up.
Probably the wife heard him.

In response to my comment at a pro-gun national blog that covers various gun issues, I received this reply to my comment:

"I am the man's daughter. The gun he is holding is a Mossberg 410 shotgun multiple shot, bolt action, variable choke, full choke in picture. New in 1950."

I once had a rash of burglaries at my marina in the Ozark mountains of SW Missouri. Speaking to the sheriff on the phone, I asked what I should do if I caught the burglar during the 30 minutes it would take for the sheriff to arrive. The reply was, "Oh, he'll probably fall down a lot.":s0114:

I'm glad the perp did not press the issue and I would hope GPA upgrades his hardware

My lady backed me up once in a scary situation with her drawn .357 magnum. Any smart farm gal protects her mule

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top