JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You can buy an 805 lower in either raw (no anodize/finishing) or anodized where you have to apply finishing to only the areas you machined yourself.

In either case how do you 80% builders apply finishing to the lower when your done machining it?

If the 80% lower is already anodized, I'd leave that 20% raw, or hit it with flat black high temp paint or primer when I was done. Maybe hit the holes on the sides?
Without anodizing, nothing would last long term

I'd leave that 20% raw, or hit it with flat black high temp paint or primer when I was done. Maybe hit the holes on the sides?
I was thinking about using Gunkote for any/all raw areas I think the only place to worry about is the trigger and hammer holes I don't know how Gunkote will handle the wear of those contact surfaces over time.

Im also curious how to finish the small holes like where the detent springs go as well as where the roll pins are pressed in wouldnt they just scrape off any coating like Gunkote?

Paint it, or live with it. Unless you want to go the expense of anodizing. At that point buy raw, or stripped lower. Defeats the 80% at that point. Just the price you pay going the 80% route. Shoot it!! :D

Small harbor freight blast tank. Aluminum oxide blast. Coat with Brownell's GunKote in what ever color makes you happy. Bake in oven for 30-minutes at 300 degrees. Enjoy.

I just modified my Ruger 22/45 Lite this week using the method mentioned above. Added a hint of Service Brown in there for accent and fogged it over with Matte Black.

DSC_8270.jpg

cerakote is what a lot of 80% lower builders are using. It is supposed to be very durable. I had my DWs SR9 done and it looks great (for pink and black). When I get a few more lowers done that is what I will be using. They have two types (c) (b) I believe the "c" is for air drying and the "b" if for baking and is supposed to be harder then "c" when cured in the oven..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top