JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^What SCARed said.^^
Go to the source... here. for a read on the marking requirements (some) should you choose to sell it.
For some reason, I 'seem' to remember reading/hearing the serial number will be provided via the paperwork required, as in you don't get to determine what # goes on. Maybe/hopefully someone will chime in & enlighten us?

Dan

^^What SCARed said.^^
Go to the source... here. for a read on the marking requirements (some) should you choose to s
For some reason, I 'seem' to remember reading/hearing the serial number will be provided via the paperwork required,

Dan

Not true. With an 80%, YOU are the maker/manufacturer, so you'll need to come up with some sort of serial number if you sell it. Look at the link, but I don't think there's really much in the way of HOW you come up with a number.

I am not sure that those ATF regs apply to private owners who complete 80% firearms; the law (27 CFR § 478.92 27 CFR § 478.92 - Identification of firearms and armor piercing ammunition by licensed manufacturers and licensed importers. ) speaks to licensed manufacturers and importers, not necessarily to unlicensed persons manufacturing their own firearms.

That said, as a practical matter, it is probably wise to add your own serial number. Most FFLs won't transfer most firearms that don't have serial numbers.

However, an 'lower'/etc. that is less than 80% completed is not a firearm within the definition of this law. And per the opinion of this blog - WA HB 1739 does not apply to uncompleted "80% lowers": Did Washington Just Ban 80% Lowers? - 80% L❂WERS

Here is the text of the law:

Read it for yourself. What is a firearm? What is an untraceable firearm?

An "80% lower" does not fall into either category in my opinion - I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice - it is a simple reading of the law - you should read it yourself.

Q: How many questions like this could be answered without asking here if someone would just go and google the law and read it for themselves?

A: Almost all of them.

Not a legal opinion here but somewhat confers as to what I was implying...
Am I Required to Apply a Serial Number to a Homemade Firearm?
Discussion my 20 year FFL dealer stated there is a legal paperwork (extensive) way to do an 80% no number sale but it could take longer than you'll be alive. His suggestion is buy a stripped numbered lower, install & sell. He won't transfer ANY no number weapons just to cover his rear end. Like The Heretic said, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice

Dan

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads