JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^What SCARed said.^^
Go to the source... here. for a read on the marking requirements (some) should you choose to sell it.
For some reason, I 'seem' to remember reading/hearing the serial number will be provided via the paperwork required, as in you don't get to determine what # goes on. Maybe/hopefully someone will chime in & enlighten us?

Dan

^^What SCARed said.^^
Go to the source... here. for a read on the marking requirements (some) should you choose to s
For some reason, I 'seem' to remember reading/hearing the serial number will be provided via the paperwork required,

Dan

Not true. With an 80%, YOU are the maker/manufacturer, so you'll need to come up with some sort of serial number if you sell it. Look at the link, but I don't think there's really much in the way of HOW you come up with a number.

I am not sure that those ATF regs apply to private owners who complete 80% firearms; the law (27 CFR § 478.92 27 CFR § 478.92 - Identification of firearms and armor piercing ammunition by licensed manufacturers and licensed importers. ) speaks to licensed manufacturers and importers, not necessarily to unlicensed persons manufacturing their own firearms.

That said, as a practical matter, it is probably wise to add your own serial number. Most FFLs won't transfer most firearms that don't have serial numbers.

However, an 'lower'/etc. that is less than 80% completed is not a firearm within the definition of this law. And per the opinion of this blog - WA HB 1739 does not apply to uncompleted "80% lowers": Did Washington Just Ban 80% Lowers? - 80% L❂WERS

Here is the text of the law:

Read it for yourself. What is a firearm? What is an untraceable firearm?

An "80% lower" does not fall into either category in my opinion - I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice - it is a simple reading of the law - you should read it yourself.

Q: How many questions like this could be answered without asking here if someone would just go and google the law and read it for themselves?

A: Almost all of them.

Not a legal opinion here but somewhat confers as to what I was implying...
Am I Required to Apply a Serial Number to a Homemade Firearm?
Discussion my 20 year FFL dealer stated there is a legal paperwork (extensive) way to do an 80% no number sale but it could take longer than you'll be alive. His suggestion is buy a stripped numbered lower, install & sell. He won't transfer ANY no number weapons just to cover his rear end. Like The Heretic said, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice

Dan

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR