JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I'm thinking of building an 80% 1911. Why? Just because….. we all know the current climate, so let's keep the politics out of it. Thanks!

Not quite sure if I'm going to go with a Govt. or Commander. We'll figure that out later.

Frames: I assume that there are probably a small handful of frame makers. Which one(s) would you suggest? Poking around the 'net there are a lot of suppliers, and prices run the gamut. Where did you end up getting yours?

Parts: Parts are more abundant than frames! Seems like everyone has something for the 1911 for sale. Where do you do your shopping for parts? Searching everyday at "the typical sites" to see who is putting what on sale that day?

Jigs: Are they necessary and if so, which one did you settle on? While on the subject of jigs, if you have one that you are finished with, and you're looking to sell it, please PM me.

Anything else that I missed?

Well, I never did get to do an 80% 1911. The laws have made it impossible now.

I should close this thread......

Maybe you can answer this question for me. I know Washington State's laws prohibit 80% lowers that can be used to make assault weapons, but does that prohibition extend to 80% receivers that specifically can't be used to make assault weapons? Like 1911s? Just not sure.

Last Edited:
Maybe you can answer this question for me. I know Washington State's laws prohibit 80% lowers that can be used to make assault weapons, but does that prohibition extend to 80% receivers that specifically can't be used to make assault weapons? Like 1911s? Just not sure.
Considering 1911s can have threaded barrels, they could still count as assault weapons I believe.

Considering 1911s can have threaded barrels, they could still count as assault weapons I believe.
I was just reading the definition from Washington State; they have a definition for Semiautomatic Assault Rifle, which is any "rifle" which is a gas operated semi automatic. It's not like the Clinton or California Bans where they list features like flash hiders, threaded barrels, detachable magazines, bayonet lugs... just 'semi automatic.' There is no provision in the definition for a pistol or handgun to be a banned class of 'assault' weapons. So I still think an 80% 1911 frame is legal to buy / sell / own in Washington. The ATF is calling an 80% frame a legal 'firearm' when accompanied by a jig, set of instructions, tooling or other 'means' to finish it. So between the two... I'm thinking it might maybe kinda still be legal to sell a 1911 80% frame in Washington. I dunno.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top