JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been shooting one sense 06 love the round killed two deer and alot of coyotes with it.
just built an sbr with an 11.5" barrel the other one has a 16" barrel, my son also shoots a 6.8 so do two of my buddys.

Ive also been considering building either a 6.8 or a 6.5 Grendel. I cant make up my mind 6.5 seems to have better ballistics and 6.8 seems to have more readily available/cheaper parts and ammo so I am also interested in this subject.

Why would some one even consider the 6.8 over the Grendel? I know it has been debated to death but if I wasn't given or ended up with a 6.8 in a trade or some other caveat was included I would never have one (and haven't). Compare ballistics and purchase.

I have bought Grendel ammo for 14-23.00 a box (Premium hunting/match) and now you can shoot it even cheaper with Wolf producing steel case for it.

If your building one.... Barrels bolts and magazines are all going to cost relative amounts of money.

I guess it comes down to needs. If you want a longer range faster,flatter rifle go Grendel. If you desire something slower,shorter range and worse trajectory, Go with SPC.

I looked at both extensively before purchasing without bias (I had my mind set on SPC at first), It was a simple decision after a short while even when I tried to make the SPC better.

Personally, I really like it. It can be spendy to shoot at around $1 per round for legal hunting rounds.

Recoil is negligible, accuracy is good, and hits hard. Below is my kit that's set up for popping dogs and deer. Leupold 1.5-4x20 AR series, offset A2 style BUIS, Houge overmold freefloat tube, StagArms 6.8SPC upper mated to an Essential Arms lower, Magpul MOE rifle stock and enhanced trigger guard, CAA configurable pistol grip.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks for all the input, I'm just thinking something other than 5.56 to play with, I looked at the 300 blackout and really have no desire to have one of those, so I thought 6.8 or 458 socom, but I completly spaced the Grendel so now I will have to take a look at that one as a possibility also, but 6.8 seems a little more available, even the local wal-mart carries it.

I don't get the Grendel thing. I've been into the 6.8 for a while. Do some real research on the two cartridges and you'll get your answer.

I have been very happy with my two 6.8's. Started due to wanting to try a left eject Stag arms and decided to try 6.8 instead of 5.56. Silver State had great prices on 6.8 ammo and some really good high-power rounds but I haven't bought any for a while due to reloading my own.

Just my .02!

I have built two and love them both. One has a 18" bison armory barrel that is my Hunter and the other has a 16" Yankee Hill barrel and it's my backup Hunter. If you don't reload, start. It'll save you in the long run if you shoot a lot.

6.8 is readily available on the shelf at sportsmans warehouse. 6.5 Grendel I have never seen factory ammo for.

6.5 has the better ballistics.

My thoughts are the 25-45 sharps looks like a good contender for the AR platform, if your stepping out of the 223 caliber.

I'm hoping it will be widely accepted as well as ballistically sound. Only a bit is available that I've seen.

6.8 is readily available on the shelf at sportsmans warehouse. 6.5 Grendel I have never seen factory ammo for.

6.5 has the better ballistics.

My thoughts are the 25-45 sharps looks like a good contender for the AR platform, if your stepping out of the 223 caliber.

I'm hoping it will be widely accepted as well as ballistically sound. Only a bit is available that I've seen.

WOW! That Sharps is pretty neat cartridge also utilizing the standard AR Mags I assume.(?).

Grendel ammo is nothing rare or a wildcat round anymore. Sportsmans don't have it, It's not on their restock/purchase sheet. I asked about it a while back. Employee said it is asked for quite often but just something they (Corporate) don't purchase, With that said if someone has the internet and a debit card it seems quite easy to get. Matter of fact I piled up 600 rounds in very short order. Didn't even have to subject myself to Walmart.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top