JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I am thinking about buying a second AR rifle and I want something with a little more punch than my current 5.56. I was looking for some advice as I have not owned/fired an AR in 300 Blackout or 6.8 SPC. It will be a target, self defense rifle. I don't plan on running suppressed. Which is the better caliber? Pros/Cons of each caliber?

For brand I'm looking at LWRC, DD or POF. I have an LWRC now and love it, but have owned the other brands and liked them also. Any advice/experience on the calibers will be greatly appreciated!
If your on a LWRC high, stick with it and get their Six8.

300 black is a suppressed caliber. Yes some run it solely super, but it's meant for quiet operation hence the name designation "blackout".

If your on a LWRC high, stick with it and get their Six8.

300 black is a suppressed caliber. Yes some run it solely super, but it's meant for quiet operation hence the name designation "blackout".
On the other hand, with a 9" barrel .300 blk shines even with supers. It isn't JUST for suppressors, its about having similar ballistics to 7.62x39 in an AR that can still change parts with other ARs, while also being short. In addition to having subs for suppressors.

On the other hand, with a 9" barrel .300 blk shines even with supers. It isn't JUST for suppressors, its about having similar ballistics to 7.62x39 in an AR that can still change parts with other ARs, while also being short. In addition to having subs for suppressors.
That's why you just go with 7.62x39 in AR. Honestly how many parts do most of us swap around? Complete uppers maybe...same lower can run 7.62x39 or .300blk or 5.56 or 6.5 grendel.

6.5 grendel and 7.62x39 can share magazines.

I don't swap my BCG's around. I don't swap anything around really other than my EOTech...that has been on every rifle I have built at least once LOL. My go-to test optic.

That's why you just go with 7.62x39 in AR. Honestly how many parts do most of us swap around? Complete uppers maybe...same lower can run 7.62x39 or .300blk or 5.56 or 6.5 grendel.

6.5 grendel and 7.62x39 can share magazines.

I don't swap my BCG's around. I don't swap anything around really other than my EOTech...that has been on every rifle I have built at least once LOL. My go-to test optic.
On the other hand I didn't have to buy new mags for a .300 blk pistol as I still have old mags (colt 5.56 marks with alloy followers, and adventure line mags). Granted I don't have plans to get another AR, unless the ar74 psa plans comes out (then I'd get an ar74 lower and brownells ar180 upper), so having to buy more mags didn't appeal to me.

I have the option for subs and supersonic ammo, out of a 8.5" barrel. Which is better than 7.62x39 as far as powder burn goes. Not to say I never intend to get a short 7.62x39 (plan to sbr a draco someday), just that in the one AR I have it made no sense.

I've never shot a 300BLK but I've owned 3 different 6.8 SPCs and I love them. I've taken 3 deer with the caliber. First deer the round demolished the heart, 2nd deer the round demolished the shoulder and the 3rd deer the round when through the nose and out the ear. Needless to say, they were accurate for me and quite deadly.

S&B .300 AAC Blackout 150 gr fmj at .50/round free shipping on case lots for targetsportsusa.com

I'm reloading 150gr fmjbt's for about .22/round :eek: Costs about the same as 45 ACP to shoot...
have you tried the speer 125gr tnt bullets? i like'm!

Not yet, only played around w/ 150gr. as I'm real new to .300... Sounds like I need to try some Speer 125gr tnt's. Next investment will be a short suppressor for it. I've got a flash can on it now, makes a difference redirecting the blast and sound forward...
part number on the box is 1986 incase youre unsure. i like'm cause i can get some decent velocity out of'm

The place in Milwaukee.SE McLoughlin is called:
Dump Lordz
owner is Nick
3901 SE Naef Rd
zip - 97673

503-839-7616
[email protected]
www.oregontactical.net

When you go to the address you need to call him to com down and let you in. Security protocol (multiple businesses in there.) Its about 3/4mi up from Curts GS. Turn left at the light and then a right into the lot. (about 200 ft)
Nick is a nice guy and will bend over backwards for you. I just purchased another 300 rounds from him. 51 cents for 220gr 300 BO. Shoots great.
Tell him Andy referred you.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews