JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

5th Wheel Defense Firearm

• Ruger PC Charger 9mm

• Mossberg Shockwave 590S with shorty shells

• Full size pistol (type below)

• Can of Bear Spray

• Buy them a Propane Generator instead

• Other (type below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
They do not own any firearms now since she lives with her dad and he just left a "Gun free" college campus, but they are proficient enough to hit what they are aiming at.

I have always wanted a Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm to complement my Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm pistol. The 45acp magazines only hold 10 rounds and I have plenty of 20 round 9mm Storm magazines he could have. And that 16" barrel could drive those 65gr frangibles over 2000fps.
I'm not sure how I feel about frangible ammo for home defense. I've heard several sides to that idea, and I haven't quite taken the time to dig into it and determine what makes sense.

It's true that they'll effectively turn to powder when striking a hard surface. It's also true that they'll keep going and penetrating if the surface isn't hard enough, like with drywall and other materials not as hard as solid wood or stone/metal.

Interestingly, their flouted "less penetrating" strength may also be a weakness, because in a defensive scenario, you definitely want to prioritize penetration after accuracy. It's better to OVERpenetrate than to UNDERpenetrate, in other words. Yes, there's always the concern of what happens to every round that leaves your barrel, and that's something to consider. But (and I could be wrong on this) I am unaware of any CIVILIANS shooting and missing (or overpenetrating) an attacker and their resulting shots hitting other innocents. Other property, sure, and we know that police officers have done so, but not other civilians that I'm aware of.

My own instinct is to keep the frangible rounds at the range and use them for steel.

But like I said, I haven't dug into it too deeply, so others might have more experience or know more on the question of using frangible ammo for defense.

Other food for thought here.

We are visiting them today and checked out over a dozen pistols. His top 3 are:

Glock 19X
CZ p10
S&W M&P9 full size

His girlfriend liked the Sig p365 380 for eventually concealed carry.

I am going to have them shoot their choices at the rental range before buying.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Glock 19X
CZ p10
S&W M&P9 full size

Out of those my choice would be the 19x and throw a Surefire X300 on it and you're set.

Glock 19X
CZ p10
S&W M&P9 full size

Out of those my choice would be the 19x and throw a Surefire X300 on it and you're set.
Same here, of those choices but I'd say he/they would be better off with a G45 MOS.

First thing I'd do with a 19X is cut that stupid tit on the bottom of the grip so it will take other mags and have it optic cut and forward serrations added, a G45 is already there.

How about a PSA Dagger? With a light and RDS?
Dagger.jpg

It sounds like your sun isn't much of a gun person. For folks that aren't gun people who want a bedside gun that aren't going to take it out to shoot very often, I always recommend a K -Frame revolver in .38 Special. The manual of arms for a revolver is simpler than a semi-auto, it's easy to verify it's loaded by seeing the brass cartridge rims at the back of the cylinder. There are lots of used S&W K frames; (e.g. Model 10, 15, 64, 67etc.), Ruger Police Service Sixes & Speed Sixes & my personal favorite the Taurus 82 on Gunbroker. A lot of people have negative things to say about Taurus. Mine was a retired hospital police gun in mint condition, has been 100% reliable in the 24 years that I've owned it, it has an excellent trigger & is very accurate!

I keep a Mossberg Shockwave with an arm-brace thingy that replaced the birds-beak grip in my travel trailer.

It fits perfectly, stored upright, in the bedroom cabinet by the bed.

I have it loaded with Federal #4 buck. 9+1 rounds, very low recoil, plenty of power for SD and won't stray far if it goes through a wall or window. It's also easy to maneuver around the confined space.

Streamlight makes a light for it that replaces the foregrip. I may pick one of them up someday.

Beretta CX4 Storm carbine in 9mm. Takes the easily found Beretta 92 magazines. A long gun is easier for n00bs to hit things reliably with moreso than a pistol. 9mm ammo is plentiful and cheaper to target practice with than 5.56, and will have very little recoil in a gun that size.

You can add a light or optic of your choice to the gun, making target ID easier and upping hit probability.

9mm comes screaming out a 16 inch barrel with .357 Mag energies, which is plenty to put down most any two legged or four legged critter he'd be likely to defend himself from.

His second purchase could be a Beretta 92 variant, and maintain magazine compatability.

If he's a lefty, he'll love the CX4 because it can be setup to charge or eject from either side.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top