JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

5th Wheel Defense Firearm

• Ruger PC Charger 9mm

• Mossberg Shockwave 590S with shorty shells

• Full size pistol (type below)

• Can of Bear Spray

• Buy them a Propane Generator instead

• Other (type below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
It will pass and all firearms transactions will be shut down for several weeks at the beginning of 2023 while they try to figure out how to comply with these unworkable new rules.

It will pass and all firearms transactions will be shut down for several weeks at the beginning of 2023 while they try to figure out how to comply with these unworkable new rules.
Agree. They would have to pass huge increases in funding for police staff (which they won't do) for it to work.

Just like ATF is doing now where they won't allocate any additional staff to the increased form 4 transfers. All they did was dramatically increase wait times.

I predict OR will have a similar bottleneck meaning it will take x months to get a firearm should a person be willing to go through all the hoops (most people won't I would guess). Sporting good stores and ffls will get absolutely hammered.

If you live in OR I would buy any guns you may want in the future now. And extra mags for them. And remember this law (if it passes) will affect your suppressor or other NFA purchases too. The suppressor you order today (or recently bought) you may not be able to pick up easily when the form goes through atf due to the state hoops.

Last Edited:
The only way to free up the bottleneck would be to get the courts to file an injunction. Unfortunately the Kate Brown appointed judges will deny us any relief and it will have to be appealed up higher. I see several weeks where nobody except LEOs and their family have a permit to purchase.

I see several weeks where nobody except LEOs and their family have a permit to purchase.
If not months. The big box gun shops may survive, if they choose to remain in the state, but privately owned shops... might as well start looking for employment elsewhere. I hear domino's is hiring part time delivery drivers.

And no... that's not meant to be at all humorous.🔥

Last Edited:
I live in a 4th wheel a few nights a week. My choice is a Mossberg 500 12ga. 18" barrel. And mini shells. At the moment, I have #7-1/2 shot in it. At night, most of my shots should be at a downward angle. I do also have my Model 10 Smith .38 with Glazer safety slugs by the bedside. This will most likely be my first grab (and a light). Many people don't like Glazers. I have seen first hand what they do at close range. And I also know they won't travel far outside of my trailer.

I voted pistol but after thinking about this I have a question is the 5th wheel staying parked or will it be used for traveling ?
if its going to be used for traveling across the country state to state I would pick a pump shotgun 18 1/2 inch barrel because every state seems to
have their own what type of gun and what type of magazine allowed,a pump shotgun is more likely legal in all the states , 12 ga pump paired with a revolver
should be a legal set up most places.
just a thought

I voted pistol but after thinking about this I have a question is the 5th wheel staying parked or will it be used for traveling ?
if its going to be used for traveling across the country state to state I would pick a pump shotgun 18 1/2 inch barrel because every state seems to
have their own what type of gun and what type of magazine allow, a pump shotgun is more likely legal in all the states ,
just a thought
It will stay in a trailer park surrounded by other fifth wheels on the outskirts of Eugene.

A pump shotgun that can hold more than 10 mini-shells will be illegal for sale, transfer or even TRANSPORT after IP17 passes!

The other thing to do is get some sort of door entry sensors and maybe a few outdoor cameras so you can see the danger before they break into the RV. At least an entry sensor where an alarm goes off so you wake from a sleeping relatively quickly.

I have no experience living in a 5th wheel depending on a give situation. Single or multiple intruders an AR would be nice. Keep earmuffs close so you can put them on very quickly and grab your firearm. Given the limited space of a 5th wheel might want to keep the one in the chamber of the AR with the safety on.

I think your Son and DL will be smart to hit that rental range and find what works best for them.
My own wife shoots a revolver best, it's simple, she can make it safe without fussing with the slide, if there is some malfunction the answer is pull the trigger again. But they are not for everyone.
If its going to be both carried and HD the Shields are the hottest sellers, They are the smallest gun I can still shoot really well. and their are so many that everyone makes holsters for them. They come in 9mm, 40, and 45 cal. all of those are up for SD duty. Good Luck DR

A good pistol is what comes to mind first, but they'll have to get some training and practice for it to be effective. I'd recommend a G19 or G17, spare mags, and at least a couple good classes. And regular practice.

The other thing to do is get some sort of door entry sensors
Most modern RV's have motion sensor lights at entry points. Granted, that might not wake you, but from my experience, armed breakins in occupied RV's in a park setting is exceedingly rare. Most criminals are usually looking for unoccupied dwellings and an RV in a park is typically going to be assumed to be occupied during night time hours.

Not to mention that the way RV's are usually packed in like sardines and everyone has thin walls.. it takes "neighborhood watch" to a whole new level.

More often than not, thefts are usually going to be vehicle break-ins or theft of external property or from eternal compartments. Ie., not securing your portable genset, not locking your spendy power conditioner to the post, portable sat dishes, fuel containers etc.

In that case, external cameras and alarms would be a great idea, then allow you to decide if what they are attempting to steal is worth confronting or not. Among the mobile community, it's widely accepted that your best defense against theft is a comprehensive insurance policy. :s0155:

Reason being that most thefts occur while away from your RV and there is no practical way to truly secure an RV access door or compartment. Especially considering that if you don't at least change your locks, at least 1/4 of the people in that RV park likely already have working keys to your rig. Locks in the RV industry are "common" among mfg and have a vary limited number of keying.

On edit: Funny tidbit. Many RV owners intentionally leave their external compartment doors unlocked. The theory being that it's less hassle to replace what's been stolen than it is to repair or replace the compartment door. Often meaning significant down time and delays of your vacation.. or having to make other living arrangements while your "home" is in the shop... all over a flimsy little door.

Last Edited:
Long term, I'd urge him to fulfill CC requirements and stick with a practical CC gun with tritium sights he is likely to use once in a while, and maybe can become intimately familiar with, but plenty good advice on the guns here albeit eclectic, so if I may skew it some, ok, A LOT, should your son figure on a considerable stay, be sure to advise him to remove the load from the trailer tires, lessen the pressures considerably, but may want to keep enough to leave in an emergency, (15 to 20 pounds?) and cover them from the elements.

I'm not sure the type of gun really matters in this situation as any gun/round is going to go through trailer walls. I'd say careful and judicious aiming is paramount. Don't miss.

I'm inherently not a fan of a Shockwave type shotgun for a fairly inexperienced shooter. And particularly if it's something the GF might need to use. I also strongly prefer something that is more "aim-able" than a Shockwave (ie something with an actual stock) in case the fight ends up outside and/or at longer distances.

I don't think I saw you answer the question of if the GF was going to be using it too. Because that will certainly add another dimension to things. But I tend to encourage people to get what speaks to them. What is he most interested in that he will be motivated to practice with?

With that said, a modern striker fired gun like a Glock 19/17 or M&P is always a good choice for newer shooters and something the GF can likely handle too. Or a good pistol caliber carbine could work well in the smaller area of a 5th wheel and will be more accurate than a pistol. That could be easily handled by the GF as well.

I wouldn't go any type of long gun/shotgun in an RV.
My gut says Glock G19/G17, however...
Glock G43X might be a nice compromise because if the owner wants to explore "concealed carry", G43X would be a nice candidate for that.

So, G43X for the win.

Not to be "that guy" but I have to ask, does your son even want a gun? Has he expressed interest in getting one, or concern for his safety or that of his GF? If not, you might consider getting him a generator instead. Don't get me wrong, I am 110% an advocate for armed law-abiding citizenry, but some people just aren't into guns, and giving someone a gun when they have no interest in learning to use it properly, training with it, etc is probably not the best move. That and depending on the GF's political beliefs, the gun might present a strain on the relationship.

If he's into guns and wants one, then I'd say a pistol is the best bet for close quarters. Space in a 5th wheel is at a premium already - long guns take up more space and are less maneuverable in tight quarters. Take him to a range that rents out pistols, have him try them all out, then buy him his favorite of the bunch.

Taurus judge!
If someone wants one of these or the predecessor great BUT, there is a real shortcoming to these. With shot shells they look real impressive BUT, they make very shallow albeit messy wounds. So bottom line if some doper breaks in they may not even slow down if shot with one unless you get them in the face. The guns take .45 Colt ammo which is GREAT for home use. Only problem here is the long lead causes many of them to key hole. Again at close range will not matter but many find out they get disappointing results at the range. So if someone really wants either of these wheel guns beats nothing but, they have some serious downside.

The other thing to do is get some sort of door entry sensors and maybe a few outdoor cameras so you can see the danger before they break into the RV. At least an entry sensor where an alarm goes off so you wake from a sleeping relatively quickly.

I have no experience living in a 5th wheel depending on a give situation. Single or multiple intruders an AR would be nice. Keep earmuffs close so you can put them on very quickly and grab your firearm. Given the limited space of a 5th wheel might want to keep the one in the chamber of the AR with the safety on.
Camera and motion detectors are GREAT to have. Stuff is so damn cheap now days and so simple to set up. That way you get a warning that someone is out there before they can even touch the door.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top