JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

5th Wheel Defense Firearm

• Ruger PC Charger 9mm

• Mossberg Shockwave 590S with shorty shells

• Full size pistol (type below)

• Can of Bear Spray

• Buy them a Propane Generator instead

• Other (type below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
My son and his girlfriend bought as 33' Fifth Wheel trailer as an alternative to $2000 a month apartment living in Eugene. The space rent is $500 a month, but they can take it with them when they move and save up the $1500 a month to purchase a site built house eventually. What are your recommendations for a home defense / bedside firearm considering the tight quarters and neighboring trailers with thin walls? I would gift him cash so he can buy it.

Does your son have a firearm preference..?
Is there one that he is better with than another...?
Will his girlfriend also be using this firearm...?
Andy
He was not very interested in firearms while growing up. He shot my 22 rifle, 380 and 9mm DA/SA pistols and Mossberg 500 12 gauge which he did not care for. My first thought was a shockwave with shorty buckshot shells, but the Ruger PC Charger that takes universal 9mm Glock mags may also work.

My son and his girlfriend bought as 33' Fifth Wheel trailer as an alternative to $2000 a month apartment living in Eugene. The space rent is $500 a month, but they can take it with them when they move and save up the $1500 a month to purchase a site built house eventually. What are your recommendations for a home defense / bedside firearm considering the tight quarters and neighboring trailers with thin walls? I would gift him cash so he can buy it.
Imo you have to take the neighbors with thin walls as a factor for consideration out of the equation unless you plan on using frangible ammo. Everything else is going to penetrate rv walls. 12 gauge frangible buck and slugs are available though for example and they turn to dust when hitting something hard.

Does he already have a carry weapon? If he does and the gun is only doing single duty in the RV I would do either a PCC or SBR 556.

I would buy a 10.5" brn-180 223 wylde. It's comparable to an mp5 size-wise and can be shot with stock folded. That means it can even be used in the truck cab if needed or unfold the stock for more stability. Uses standard ar lower and mags but you can mount a folding or telescopic brace/stock to it.

Mp5 in k or regular size would be a good choice also IMO. MKE (Century is the importer) AP5 or AP5k are only $1179 at Atlantic firearms right now which is a crazy price. Or Stribog non-roller delay at about $600ish.

I would trust my life to the Stribog or brn-180. Both are small, accurate, highly maneuverable, easy to store and importantly can take a folding or telescopic brace/stock. Have not shot the AP5 P yet (Sp5K clone) but build quality is excellent.

Re shockwave, that would be my last choice. Skip to the 26:00 min mark in video below to see why. Imo a regular pump with 18" barrel and folding stock is a better alternative. I have a mossberg 500 18" with folding stock and It is much heavier and larger than a pcc or sbr with folding stock so I would choose either of those over the shotgun. But for effectiveness the 18" with folding stock shotgun is certainly top notch.

Here is a pic of brn-180 and mp5 22 (1:1 size of 9mm) for size reference.

24CCF00E-F5A9-4B85-8A7B-1656514860F7.jpeg
If he doesn't have a carry gun then I would get a good pistol before anything else. All just imo...

Last Edited:
He was at a "Gun free" college until recently, so no carry pistol yet. I built every family member a 16" AR-15 during the craziness of 2020 and have enough pistols for everyone too, but this will be his first firearm purchase on his own.

Good point about frangable ammo! I have some of that Ruger APX 9mm ammo that I could give him. The recoil should be less too.

556 out of a short barrel would be too loud for indoor home defense in my opinion.

I was thinking of a brn-180 in 300Blackout for my bedside, but that got expensive fast.

If he is sitting in one place? Any full size hand gun would be my first choice. One that both of them can have fun shooting as the more practice the better. Second choice would be a nice PCC, that again they both like as the more practice the better.

He was at a "Gun free" college until recently, so no carry pistol yet. I built every family member a 16" AR-15 during the craziness of 2020 and have enough pistols for everyone too, but this will be his first firearm purchase on his own.

Good point about frangable ammo! I have some of that Ruger APX 9mm ammo that I could give him. The recoil should be less too.

556 out of a short barrel would be too loud for indoor home defense in my opinion.

I was thinking of a brn-180 in 300Blackout for my bedside, but that got expensive fast.
After hearing a .556 pistol at an indoor range with double ear protection I would NOT want to use one with no ears inside :eek:

I would buy a 10.5" brn-180 223 wylde.
This will rattle their brain shooting inside a confined space.

I'd stick with a 14.5"/16" carbine, I have no issue maneuvering with one in my RV or my M1a for that matter.

Beretta 1301 tactical with some shortys
I think a 14.5"/16" AR/AK is a good compromise, my 1301 starts to get a bit unwieldy. How well do shortys run in a 1301?

Last Edited:
What are your recommendations for a home defense / bedside firearm considering the tight quarters and neighboring trailers with thin walls?
I don't know if it's the "best" option, but what I use bedside in my trailer is a bond arms loaded with .410 as a "first strike" option... and then my standard carry right next to it as backup.

In such close quarters and anticipating we're talking a middle of the night uninvited visitor, and likely not being at 'full capacity' just waking up, I feel more comfortable with the .410. Knowing that it won't do significant damage to my own rig or those that may be next to me, while still a very capable load in such close quarters. It also makes a good driving anti car jacking device. ;)

A S&W Governor or a Tauras Judge would work.. covering some different price points. I have several barrels I use regularly with a bond arms so my preference, but a .410 revolver with more shots and easier handling form factor would be a valid option. Of course... then you would likely want an alternate "outside" firearm.

Last Edited:
Other
Pistol of his choice and proficiency.

edit
Two large playful cats and a laser pointer. Should be very effective with laser dot placed on bad guys face or nuts...

Last Edited:
You've already said the right answer. It doesn't sound like he's a habitual shooter but he HAS shot some of yours. He does not like the Mossberg, so shotguns are out. He has experience shooting your 9mm, so give him that one and buy yourself a replacement if needed. It'll do the job and he's at least vaguely familiar with that particular pistol

In the only DGU in the home with a Taurus Judge that I know of they homeowner completely missed one of the home invaders who was ten feet away due to the heavy trigger pulling the barrel off target. He hit with the second shot and the guy ran away. I see the Taurus Judge as an anti-carjacking or snake defense gun. I believe that a home defense firearm should have a light attached so that rules out the Judge or a derringer.

I asked him if there were any pistols that he liked. He said that Post Malone has a cool looking ZEV. Well I don't make Gucci Glock money, but I can gift him $700 which should cover a Ruger PC Charger or most full size domestic 9mm pistols. I want him to buy one in his own name before the IP17 purchase permit BS starts in 2023.

He said that there is a rental range in Eugene that they will both take CHL classes through, so maybe he will come up with something new on his own.

Are there any decent LGS in Eugene that offer pistols at or close to BiMart prices?

I see the Taurus Judge as an anti-carjacking or snake defense gun.
Quite so. In an RV, for me, it's more about penetration. Walls are so thin they won't stop much of anything. With a miss a .410 can still blow a good hole in your own rig, but in doing so it's loses significant velocity so the damage potential beyond your own walls is minimal. With a hit, it's moot, but nearly any pistol slug at such close quarters even a hit is likely to be a through and through... and through... and through. In a close quarters trailer park, there is no telling how many rigs it may pass through before falling inert.

...I want him to buy one in his own name before the IP17 purchase permit BS starts in 2023...
That's a smart move IMO!!! If that thing passes even die hard gun buyers won't want to buy guns and those that even have a slight hesitation will be scared away of all the hoops they will have to jump though if IP17 passes.

Also Gun buyers may not be able to buy a gun even if they wanted to due to lack of staff for LEOs to do in person live fire training, create a whole new permit process, process the permits, etc etc.

And the people that proposed this BS would be very happy about all of that of course. 🤬

I've bought 8 firearms since they have got enough signatures cuz there's no way I'm going to jump though those hoops. Hopefully it won't pass but I know these asshat metro people and I think it will.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads