JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I seems like prices on nice S&W revolvers have really gone up, but yesterday I saw a S&W 28-2 for sale for $500.

Great deal, right? The only problem is a bulge in the barrel. It looks like a replacement barrel can be had for around a hundred bucks.
Might be worthwhile for someone who has the tools and know-how to install a barrel, but it doesn't seem like much of a bargain for a fixer-upper.

Anyhow, if you have the tools and know-how, and think this is a worth-while project, let me know and I'll tell you where I saw it. :)

Yes I think so. I didn't look real closely at it, lost interest pretty quick when I saw the bulge.

Good thing too, since I'm done buying guns for the foreseeable future. :)

Not much of a deal at $500 with a bulged barrel. I assume the dealer was aware of the issue?

Any other details? Grips? Box?

-E-

Not much of a deal at $500 with a bulged barrel. I assume the dealer was aware of the issue?

Any other details? Grips? Box?

-E-
Original S&W target grips. Finish was not the best, thin bluing at typical wear spots.

I didn't ask about a box. He warned me to not get excited before he even pulled it out of the case, and pointed out the bulge.

I love vintage S&W revolvers, especially the big N-frames like this. I've been surprised in recent years at how prices have risen. IF I had the tools and knowledge (and time for a project) to do it myself, I might have made a lower offer.

It seems to me that they'll have trouble selling it at that price, but I've been wrong before. :)

Sure you are.... :s0140:
it's an addiction; I really am trying to quit…

I remember the days of police trade in 28's on the gunshow tables in the NW. 4" models mostly. priced so low It was like a giveaway gun.
I bought a really nice nickel plated 586 back in the '90s for a couple hundred bucks. It always shocks me when I see them for sale for a thousand.

For the trouble and cost of repair, I would pass. A better gun (as to finish as well as bad bbl.) will be cheaper int he long run, and won't have been fiddled with. Repairs don't always come out as we'd like.

My impression is that Model 28's came standard with magna service stocks, not target. I suppose they could be ordered with target. In any case, the target stocks are worth extra money, but certainly not the cost of bbl. replacement.

People might be surprised at how many revolvers have bulged or "ringed" barrels. Some are easily seen, others very slight. In fact, many older Smith & Wessons had very slight, almost imperceptible rings in the bbl. where they thread into the frame, this was caused at the factory when proof loads were fired. I've even seen it on guns made in the early 2000's.

I've fired a number of handguns over the years with ringed barrels. At handgun distances, I've never noted much if any difference in accuracy over a supposed "perfect" bbl. I'm talking about minor to moderate bulges. Anything gross should be carefully checked out including with a borescope to investigate for cracks. It doesn't need saying that a cracked bbl. shouldn't be fired.

Many of us have probably seen one or a number of German Mauser or Russian Mosin rifle barrels that were counterbored at the muzzle. This was done to save a service rifle for further use without re-barreling. The most common source of bulges in army rifles is from the muzzle being stuck into mud or snow, which limits the bulge to near the muzzle and (in those years anyway) thought to still be serviceable via counterboring.

Surpless Smith's without barrels can be shipped for $200 not including tax and shipping. Buddy purchased two down in AZ over Christmas last year.

Over seas LEO issued and barrel had to be removed to bring them back into the states.
Kicking myself for not picking up a 38.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads