JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've been kicking around acquiring something in .500 S&W Magnum. Doing my homework, the options I'm seeing in revolver form are:

1. The S&W Model 500 in various guises.
  2. The Taurus Raging 500, which is now long since discontinued.
  3. Magnum Research BFRs in said and also in .500 Special.
  4. Freedom Arms in said.
  5. The German, and presumably redonkulously expensive, Janz Revolver.
That's about all I found. The rest aren't wheelguns (e.g., Thompson single-shots) or even a handgun (e.g., the Model 89). Concerns with the above in same order:

1. This should be a "no brainer". S&W quality, available at reasonable rates, and in the aforementioned. Alas, as far as I can tell, they only offer them in 4" and 8⅜" barrels now. They used to offer a variant with a 6½" barrel, half lug, and ported, but S&W stopped making them, and I can't find one listed for sale, other than the most obvious of scam sites. If I still with this project, I'll either wait until I can find a 6½" barrel on the used market, or just go with the 8⅜" variant. The shorter barrel variant doesn't do anything for me.
  2. Taurus doesn't make them any more. And it is a Taurus, so ew? The only one I saw on Gunbroker had a "buy it now" for an insane $5,500. I have no idea if that is what they actual go for or if the seller is a moron, but there is no way I'd pay anything in that zone for a Taurus. Maybe at a tenth of that I'd roll the dice.
  3. Unlike the first two, this is a single-action-only. In the past, I have had three of the BFRs, two the shorter cylinder, the other the longer; in .44 Magnum and .50Æ in the shorty and .3030 WCF in the long. They are beautifully made, robust, incredibly accurate revolvers. However, I found the recoil on the little one almost to the point of painful in Fifty and found the physical size of the latter simply too much for a handgun. I really want to like them and I may even come back to them some day, but I don't think they are an option for this project. (What I am really looking for is, for all intents and purposes, a Model 29/629 on steroids and with a half-inch bore.)
  4. I've had very little experience with the Freedom Arms' offerings, but I suspect most of what I said about the Magnum Research would hold true for these as well. However, I have been wrong before.
  5. It is German and gorgeously manufactured, so I have to assume they are insanely priced. Their site indicates they are imported to the good ole US of A, so I will reach out to them to see what the story (and price) is, but my gut is that it will likely be a no-go.
So, what say you? Anything I missed? What would be your play on this one? Thanks!

So, I've been kicking around acquiring something in .500 S&W Magnum. Doing my homework, the options I'm seeing in revolver form are:

1. The S&W Model 500 in various guises.
  2. The Taurus Raging 500, which is now long since discontinued.
  3. Magnum Research BFRs in said and also in .500 Special.
  4. Freedom Arms in said.
  5. The German, and presumably redonkulously expensive, Janz Revolver.
That's about all I found. The rest aren't wheelguns (e.g., Thompson single-shots) or even a handgun (e.g., the Model 89). Concerns with the above in same order:

1. This should be a "no brainer". S&W quality, available at reasonable rates, and in the aforementioned. Alas, as far as I can tell, they only offer them in 4" and 8⅜" barrels now. They used to offer a variant with a 6½" barrel, half lug, and ported, but S&W stopped making them, and I can't find one listed for sale, other than the most obvious of scam sites. If I still with this project, I'll either wait until I can find a 6½" barrel on the used market, or just go with the 8⅜" variant. The shorter barrel variant doesn't do anything for me.
  2. Taurus doesn't make them any more. And it is a Taurus, so ew? The only one I saw on Gunbroker had a "buy it now" for an insane $5,500. I have no idea if that is what they actual go for or if the seller is a moron, but there is no way I'd pay anything in that zone for a Taurus. Maybe at a tenth of that I'd roll the dice.
  3. Unlike the first two, this is a single-action-only. In the past, I have had three of the BFRs, two the shorter cylinder, the other the longer; in .44 Magnum and .50Æ in the shorty and .3030 WCF in the long. They are beautifully made, robust, incredibly accurate revolvers. However, I found the recoil on the little one almost to the point of painful in Fifty and found the physical size of the latter simply too much for a handgun. I really want to like them and I may even come back to them some day, but I don't think they are an option for this project. (What I am really looking for is, for all intents and purposes, a Model 29/629 on steroids and with a half-inch bore.)
  4. I've had very little experience with the Freedom Arms' offerings, but I suspect most of what I said about the Magnum Research would hold true for these as well. However, I have been wrong before.
  5. It is German and gorgeously manufactured, so I have to assume they are insanely priced. Their site indicates they are imported to the good ole US of A, so I will reach out to them to see what the story (and price) is, but my gut is that it will likely be a no-go.
So, what say you? Anything I missed? What would be your play on this one? Thanks!
S&W is not the no brainer it used to be. The ones I have handled in the last two years have been a mixed bag. Most of the performance center guns were at least OK but there were a few with gritty triggers, burrs still on the forcing cone, flaws in finish/polish, etc... The non-performance center models were awful. Two different 617's I handled felt like they filled the thing with metal shavings and were the worst S&W wheel guns triggers I have ever experienced. I was all set to buy the one with the best trigger and walked out realizing I was going to have to find an older production 617. So if you are going to consider a S&W wheel gun in 500 S&W, make sure you are able to put your hands on it first if it was produced in the last couple years. It was a sad day for me as I am a big fan of S&W wheel guns and have owned several over the last two decades and still own 4.

Speaking of 500 S&W, have you taken a look at Big Horn Armory's lever guns chambered in this caliber along with many other very interesting chamberings?

Lever gun , big horn armory(?) If you're willing to spend big buck$
Alternatively, single shot from H&R/NEF would be a cool intro. And something that you can resell easily if you just don't end up liking the cartridge.
I had a pretty vanilla .500 x frame and eventually sold it. I would much prefer that same revolver in .460, for versatility sake.

Lever gun , big horn armory(?) If you're willing to spend big buck$
Alternatively, single shot from H&R/NEF would be a cool intro. And something that you can resell easily if you just don't end up liking the cartridge.
I had a pretty vanilla .500 x frame and eventually sold it. I would much prefer that same revolver in .460, for versatility sake.
I haven't seen a reasonably priced H&R/NEF in 500 S&W or I would have scooped it up. They seem to all be bringing north of $600 now days for a gun that sold new for $150 - $200. No disagreement on the entry price for a Big Horn Armory lever gun but they seem to also hold their value and are likely to appreciate nicely while you enjoy it.

I would much prefer that same revolver in .460, for versatility sake.
Cross my mind more than once. I do like the versatility of being able to shoot .45 Schofield, .45 Long Colt, .454 Casull, in addition to the larger caliber. Thing is, I shoot and store none of those at the present, nor likely ever will. The only .45 I've routine shot for decades is .45 ACP and I'm getting out of that caliber soon. Anyway, great idea, but I think the Big .50 fits this project. :)

I haven't seen a reasonably priced H&R/NEF in 500 S&W or I would have scooped it up. They seem to all be bringing north of $600 now days for a gun that sold new for $150 - $200. No disagreement on the entry price for a Big Horn Armory lever gun but they seem to also hold their value and are likely to appreciate nicely while you enjoy it.
I found a H&R in 500 here a few months ago for what I thought was a great deal, far far less than $600. It pairs very nicely with my 500 mag S&W 8 3/8 revolver. Although as stated earlier, I enjoy my 460 S&W over the 500 due to the versatility. I love my true big bores but the 460 takes the cake all day long! 500's are fun but you can shoot the 460 as much as you like in a day.

Ditto this.

I didn't realize this until I shot a friend's .460 a few weeks ago and he explained this to me.

I'd like to try shooting it with some .45 LC just for the experience.

Would I one - no!
For sure, 500 is pretty much a one trick pony but the 460 is a long range or a short range heavy hitter.

Cross my mind more than once. I do like the versatility of being able to shoot .45 Schofield, .45 Long Colt, .454 Casull, in addition to the larger caliber. Thing is, I shoot and store none of those at the present, nor likely ever will. The only .45 I've routine shot for decades is .45 ACP and I'm getting out of that caliber soon. Anyway, great idea, but I think the Big .50 fits this project. :)
.45lc is not cheap, but it's cheaper than the other big boomers. And it looks like a case you can reload multiple times.

If it were me, and I had to go for a 500 S&W, it would be the BFR for sure. Beefier, and a better trigger pull since its single action. I was lucky enough to score a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger recently for $750 with a scope. First big bore. Straight wall thumper all the way!

20220610_203709.jpg 20220610_004305.jpg Screenshot_20220611-213236_Chrome.jpg

Here is a pretty slick bullet mold for the 500:

Those are really cool bullets for sure. I have a very hard time seating mine without crushing the edges of the hollow point because of the size of the opening. I think I need to call RCBS for a custom seater plug.

I found a H&R in 500 here a few months ago for what I thought was a great deal, far far less than $600. It pairs very nicely with my 500 mag S&W 8 3/8 revolver. Although as stated earlier, I enjoy my 460 S&W over the 500 due to the versatility. I love my true big bores but the 460 takes the cake all day long! 500's are fun but you can shoot the 460 as much as you like in a day.
If it is the one that was posted on here for sale a couple months back, it was a good deal and I would have purchased if not already sold.

If it is the one that was posted on here for sale a couple months back, it was a good deal and I would have purchased if not already sold.
Yes it was that one. It's very fun but "kicks" worse than the revolver due to it being directed into the shoulder. Gotta love a magnum bump every time it gets shot!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top