JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Fellas/Ladies/Everyone come join us in a revolver challenge. This fella was riding me like a rented mule just talking all sorts of trash which actually made it fun. Though I am not sure I made it hard on myself starting with these big booming hand canons or not. My thought was hey get the biggest pill you can to sling down range then it's like tossing hand grenades you only have to be close LOL.
Thumnail.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/NZmVEd4cH6A

Didn't click. Never shot a 500 s&w. But most things I've read or see on YouTube people have said they shot it like twice, total. Or people say "I'm not looking forward to doing that again" or things like that. Must be difference in poeple who really like recoil? Again no experience with it myself.

Never shot a 500 s&w. But most things I've read or see on YouTube people have said they shot it like twice, total.
Yep, and ya see 'em for sale with similar stories IE 'only fired X amount of times' - like 2 or 3.

I shot a 460 for the first time a couple years ago and barely made it to 3 rounds.

I am sure revolvers in these size caliber have their place but serious revolver shooting requires one in a caliber that is controllable and can be fired more than a few times - lots more.

Yep, and ya see 'em for sale with similar stories IE 'only fired X amount of times' - like 2 or 3.

I shot a 460 for the first time a couple years ago and barely made it to 3 rounds.

I am sure revolvers in these size caliber have their place but serious revolver shooting requires one in a caliber that is controllable and can be fired more than a few times - lots more.
One of our members had his S&W 500 at a clean-up. He loads up to 700gr slugs. I think the time I shot it they were 400gr. A huge, heavy gun, recoil was not terribly punishing. Not as bad as the 6" 629 with full power factory rounds, that I sold! But the 500 was too much to hold at arms length and stay steady.

Back when the 500 first came out my local dealer had one and asked if
I wanted to try it. He had three different loads for it. A cast lead load, a
jacket load, and one by Buffalo Bore??? (not at all sure on that).
Cast load----not bad. Less nasty than some of my light .357's.
Jacketed-----definite boomer, felt like a slightly hot 44 magnum. Brisk.
Buffalo Bore or whatever. )(*^^%%&*$#!!!!!!!! My right hand hurt for 3 days!
That was many years ago and apparently some brain cells have died. I'm
currently "sort of looking" for a S&W 329PD. 26 oz 44 magnum sounds like fun!

I think the difference is in riding the recoil vs fighting the recoil. I know when Max Prasac gave me the guidance on letting the BFR do it's thing in rotating in your palm which does not feel normal. I realized the true accuracy of the BFR.

I have both the 500 and 460 in X Frames, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Recoil is more about proper grip, like shooting a heavy recoiling rifle held an inch away from your shoulder, done wrong it's gonna get you. There's also a group of people just not made to handle recoil too, they have pronouns like "she/her" :p

I have an old taurus 500 mag that I had to modify (barrel cut to 2")
I really enjoyed it until it started breaking the firing pin spring, then the hammer pin (which I welded a beefier on in) but I refuse to pay $15 shippin for a 3$ spring, so its just sittn in the safe for now waiting to be replaced with a S&W. Usually id shoot about 50 handloads a session, not full power bit close.

My first time out with my 500, I shot four boxes (80 rounds) of full power ammo. Was a little tough to write with a pen the next day at work, then I worked on my grip. That really helped.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top