JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alarm goes off, they show up and "looks like nothing wrong" so they just leave. Alarm systems are dirt cheap now with camera's. A place that sells guns has a system that is that poorly set up? There are no words.
1644505762793.jpeg

I often get a kick out of the damn pictures from camera's now days. Some times I have to wonder if they are not doing this on purpose. This is not 1970 any more. Digital systems cost pennies on the dollar and have a foot print that's 10% what the old ones were. So where do they get these damn pics that show nothing? Hell when we knew we were going to be getting our new place first thing I did was put a couple camera's up. They would notify me if they caught movement and send a 10 second clip with sound. One day one at front sends one. I show the clip to Wife who says, "Oh that's the contractor they hired". Calls the guy back. These cameras were like $25. So what the hell is going on with places that sell guns that can't be bothered with something at least that good????

I often get a kick out of the damn pictures from camera's now days. Some times I have to wonder if they are not doing this on purpose. This is not 1970 any more. Digital systems cost pennies on the dollar and have a foot print that's 10% what the old ones were. So where do they get these damn pics that show nothing? Hell when we knew we were going to be getting our new place first thing I did was put a couple camera's up. They would notify me if they caught movement and send a 10 second clip with sound. One day one at front sends one. I show the clip to Wife who says, "Oh that's the contractor they hired". Calls the guy back. These cameras were like $25. So what the hell is going on with places that sell guns that can't be bothered with something at least that good????
Insurance says they need cameras, they don't say they have to be any good. So, businesses buy the cheapest camera system they can find and have one of the teens that works after school install it. Heck, my security cameras can read the notepad of the FedEx guy at my front door without having to enhance it.

Camera quality varies pretty widely, and often depends on the owner / admin setting it up right, which many don't. A lot of small businesses use analog cameras, which are limited in terms of resolution to begin with, then don't configure them properly. Hell, many major corps screw that up, too... I can't even begin to list how may cams I've seen that have 320x240 resolution settings on a wide-angle POV, and it's a crappy analog camera from the 90s running into a mid-2000s digital encoder.

Short version - whatever camera system you go with, select a recording resolution commesurate with the intended use - I recommend 1080p where possible using digital cameras, not analog - and set your recording rate to something reasonable. 30 day retention that automatically overwrites oldest content should be fine for most commercial and personal applications. Typically perimeter cameras are for seeing "something is out there", not necessarily detailed images, while point of entry / choke point cams should be configured to gather high quality images of the person of interest. If you can make your perimeter cams do high detail as well, awesome, but it will affect your storage capacity. In a 2-camera system, maybe not a big deal. In a 6-camera system, maybe it is. Also bear in mind the limitations of IR cameras in low light settings - you might see fine out to > 30yds in daylight, but < 10yds at night. Happy to discuss in depth if anyone has specific questions - just shoot me a PM.

Here's the picture below that WAFd provided Newport Police after being robbed on Monday. My bet is the bank may have old Obama camera phones duct taped to the teller windows. That pic quality appears to be around .02 megapixels I'd say. 🤣

273556956_314523224047846_2126455149846056034_n.jpg

Last Edited:
This attitude isn't anything new.
I can remember back in the eighties when banks and S&L's began switching to cctv cameras in favor of the old school 35mm film cameras (which took great photos when installed properly). All federally insured financial institutions are required to have surveillance cameras hooked into their security systems however those requirements didn't specifically require those cameras to take quality images. Within a a year or two, all the banks had new cctv cameras with wide angle lenses so all they need was one camera covering the whole interior of the branch. Added to that, they didn't have to buy and process film. Didn't matter that the photos of the robbers looked like they were printed on 90 grit sand paper.
Fortunately things got better when electronic imaging caught up in the subsequent years, but not due to quality concerns on the part of the banks..crappy images were cheaper and what the hell, they were federally insured on their robbery losses.
Banks, not just pawn shops.

The problem with cameras is the lenses always need cleaning and it seldom happens. Dust, or if the camera is outside, dust and rain foul the view from the cameras. Every so often , when I look at what's on the outdoor cameras I'll have a great view of the underside of a spider.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top