JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
MMP sells .45 "rifle sabots" that I assume are are for .458 not .451 - they don't seem to mention the actual diameter.

MMP SABOTS : Store : Blue Sabot

What I want to do is load some light loads using Trail Boss and lightweight bullets. I was thinking of using sabots to get down to .355-.357 and using various bullets meant for .38 special. This would be in a Marlin .45-70 with 1:20 twist in an 18" barrel.

The goal is small game light loads - rabbits, etc. - at subsonic speeds.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I am aware of the stability issues, I went here and it gave me green, but I am not sure about the length of a 110 gr .358 bullet - I guess it was somewhere around half an inch?

JBM - Calculations - Stability

Apparently the lower the number the worse the stability. Longer bullets seem to give lower numbers.

I have never used sabots. BUT perhaps you might like to try a .457 roundball instead. They weigh about 150 grains or so and are just the ticket for small game in that cartridge IMHO.

Plenty of smokeless reloading data on the Net. I could dig up some of my reloading information for you but it might take a while. There is even information for loading two or three balls too. I believe that a three ball load was used during WW1 for guarding dry docks, ammo dumps, etc, stateside.

I have never used sabots. BUT perhaps you might like to try a .457 roundball instead. They weigh about 150 grains or so and are just the ticket for small game in that cartridge IMHO.

Plenty of smokeless reloading data on the Net. I could dig up some of my reloading information for you but it might take a while. There is even information for loading two or three balls too. I believe that a three ball load was used during WW1 for guarding dry docks, ammo dumps, etc, stateside.

That's a good idea.

I know you can shoot .410 shotshells in a .45-70 (good to know in a pinch) but whether .410 or special loaded .45-70 with birdshot or buckshot, the rifling results in an erratic pattern even at ten yards.

But one or more .458 balls in a .45-70 or .45-90 (loaded to extend slightly from the mouth, or crimped over the ball) case would engage the rifling properly and would provide a much better 'pattern' at greater distances. Probably decent for rabbit or grouse - which is my intention.

Thanks.

Buy a lever 357, come on, you know Im right.... lol

I have two lever guns - .45-70 and .30-30. My next lever gun would probably be a BLR in .223 or .308.

If I bought a pistol carbine it would be in .45 or .44. I would like to have a BHA Model 90 in .460 Mag, but at $3K+ I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one, especially since I already have a .45-70.

Besides, the idea here is to have a rifle that will take big and small game - i.e., everything from a rabbit to an elephant (lot's of elephants in the PNW you know).

MMP sells .45 "rifle sabots" that I assume are are for .458 not .451 - they don't seem to mention the actual diameter.

MMP SABOTS : Store : Blue Sabot

What I want to do is load some light loads using Trail Boss and lightweight bullets. I was thinking of using sabots to get down to .355-.357 and using various bullets meant for .38 special. This would be in a Marlin .45-70 with 1:20 twist in an 18" barrel.

The goal is small game light loads - rabbits, etc. - at subsonic speeds.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I am aware of the stability issues, I went here and it gave me green, but I am not sure about the length of a 110 gr .358 bullet - I guess it was somewhere around half an inch?

JBM - Calculations - Stability

Apparently the lower the number the worse the stability. Longer bullets seem to give lower numbers.

You know you want a 22 hornet. Just do it.

I think it's a neat idea, but I'd probably use a 180gr bullet in "38 cal". (357)
The heavier bullet may help uniformity and it really shouldn't cause much more damage in a smaller animal.
If I still had a 45-70 I'd give it a try.

I did use Remington Accelerators in my 94, way back when. Really transformed that rifle.

You know you want a 22 hornet. Just do it.

If it came in an M6 Scout or something similar...

I have this a Savage 24 in .223 and 20 ga. - lightweight .223 bullets are pretty easy to find and there are quite a selection. With Trail Boss I can load it down quite a bit.

And then, I have one of these too:

Pack-Rifle-full-black.jpg

Weighs one pound, comes apart in the middle to be 16 inches long, so if I want to take small game I can use that too. The thing though about having alternate ammo for your main hunting rifle, is that it is a lot easier to reload with a light load than it is to pull a gun from your pack.

There are a number of alternatives, it just depends on the scenario.

I think it's a neat idea, but I'd probably use a 180gr bullet in "38 cal". (357)
The heavier bullet may help uniformity and it really shouldn't cause much more damage in a smaller animal.
If I still had a 45-70 I'd give it a try.

I did use Remington Accelerators in my 94, way back when. Really transformed that rifle.

I may have some Accelerators in .30-30. Pretty sure I have them in some other cartridge - maybe .308 or .30-06. I don't really need a high velocity .223 load though. The extra 1000 fps won't get me much over a standard 5.56x45 load.

I may have some Accelerators in .30-30. Pretty sure I have them in some other cartridge - maybe .308 or .30-06. I don't really need a high velocity .223 load though. The extra 1000 fps won't get me much over a standard 5.56x45 load.
There is no doubt the Accelerator had limited appeal. For the guy with one gun, especially if it was a 30-30 like used to be so common, they made it more suitable for smaller targets at farther distances. I'd say they were just a little bit better than just a novelty.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews