JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wish I knew how to reload. Just picked up my trapper a few days ago! 45-70 is not cheap, I guess nothing these days is really.
very easy to reload for , mild to wild. Unique and cast bullets for mild loads, jacketed and rifle powders for serious work . A Lee challenger press can do them , done them many times on mine. A heavier press like rock chucker makes sizing easier if can afford.Cast bullets easy to find online and lots of fun to load and shooot

So the Lovely Lady approved a Marlin Trapper purchase. I bought some factory ammo but reloading is definitely the way to go for 45-70. I've got dies and primers. Bullets and brass are inbound. I'm starting with Oregon Trail 405 grain lead bullets and IMR 4198 powder. Plenty of wiggle room I believe between min and max in my manual. This will be my first dedicated rifle loading. Been doing pistol for years. If there's any advice out there, I'd love to hear it đź‘Ť
With lead bullets you will want to keep velocities below 1200 fps. It would be advisable to go to a tire shop and see if they will give or sell you some used wheel weights. There is zinc in them. If you use pure lead you will spend a lot mire time cleaning. This is in reference to the age old saying" get the lead out". I buy half jacketer
very easy to reload for , mild to wild. Unique and cast bullets for mild loads, jacketed and rifle powders for serious work . A Lee challenger press can do them , done them many times on mine. A heavier press like rock chucker makes sizing easier if can afford.Cast bullets easy to find online and lots of fun to load and shooot
If you use cast bullets keep the velocities at or below 1200 fps. You will understand what the very old saying "Get The Lead Out" means.

So the Lovely Lady approved a Marlin Trapper purchase. I bought some factory ammo but reloading is definitely the way to go for 45-70. I've got dies and primers. Bullets and brass are inbound. I'm starting with Oregon Trail 405 grain lead bullets and IMR 4198 powder. Plenty of wiggle room I believe between min and max in my manual. This will be my first dedicated rifle loading. Been doing pistol for years. If there's any advice out there, I'd love to hear it đź‘Ť

My point being to check your case OAL particulally Hornady's as some are shorter than others. <shrug> but what do I know.
Trim the long ones, watch out for the short ones, lube before sizing, load'em up and shoot away.
Yep, Hornady 357 cases are shorter...won't trigger the bullet drop on my machines, so have to run them separate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top