JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i recently came into a lil bit of extra money and have always wanted a 44 revolver...The first name that runs through MY head, is Ruger, but i am relativley new (not a total noob, i've shot alot of different things & have a few rifles) but i'd say an intermidiate level shooter...I have never owned a revolver & was just curious what should i look for? What do u guys own/know about or what would you recomend getting or researching? As a general idea, I want a double action, 6 to 8 in. barrel .44....Any help/recomendations would be HIGHLY appreciated.
thanx
Oh, price range...i would like to stay in the $400 to $500 range, but could go a bit higher if it gives me a big enough hard-on, haha...

Depends on what you are looking for. The Rugers seem to take heavier loads better, but the S&Ws seem more comfortable, and have a much nicer SA and DA trigger.

Probly the more S&W route then...Like i said i have never owned a revolver, so i'd probly wanna go with the easier to use at this point...

Probly the more S&W route then...Like i said i have never owned a revolver, so i'd probly wanna go with the easier to use at this point...

Well they are both equally easy to use, there are just a couple engineering business. A good comparison is that the ruger is like a linebacker, it can take a lot of constant abuse, but is not very refined, and the S&W is like a running back, lighter and more nimble, but can still take some good hits.

Both have ups and downs, but as far as S&W, I would go with a used older gun without the lock, since with the newer guns, S&W has cut corners to save money. I don't know anything about if a newer or older ruger is better, or if there is any difference with those.

Depending on your hand size, you might want to look into a Taurus Raging bull, they are, in my opinion, built even stronger than the rugers, and have the most comfortable grips of any revolver I've ever used. Also if you want a lighter built gun with smaller grips, taurus makes other large framed .44s (model 44, and tracker), but I don't like these models too much in .44 mag. (although the tracker has super comfy grips)

I bought the father in law a ruger redhawk .44 with a 4 inch barrel. It was 670 or so out the door after tax. Everything I have read is that it is a great quality gun and it shoots like a dream. If you can find a S&W 629 you cant go wrong, but for the price you cant beat the ruger.

If you can find one, Taurus makes the Tracker in .44, its also ported and is a real nice looking gun. After shooting and handling the Ruger, i am sold on it though. It's a real solid gun.

Ruger SUper Red Hawk in your preferred round.... I got the super long nine inch barrel, they are VERY stout, and I don't think its unrefined in the least. Very smooth and handles well.

The SRH is one of two guns the ammunition developers prefer when they go to play games with super hot loads. (The other is Thompson Center). They've been amazed at how much these things can take with no measurable damage. They ARE heavy, but that just helps reduce felt recoil. Well balanced, too....

As to hand size and grips... the Super Red Hawk comes with a wood grip and soft rubber insert on it. Fits MY hand very well, and is comfy. As I was looking around, I also saw the earlier Red Hawks with an all-wood grip, did not suit me as well. Also, there are Hogue, Pachmayer, and custom grips for them to suit your preference and size.

Mine is stainless, my preference (watch out, though, Penguin has a strong penchant for stainless.. ) I also suspect the stainless is a bit stronger, the nature of the metal and all.

Some of the lighter revolvers, expecially with heavy loads, can, over time, stretch the frame a bit, leading to blowback at the space between the cylinder and barrel. I've never heard of a Ruger Redhawk (or SRH) doing this. I found mine on Auction Arms, brand new in the box but dated back in the late 1970's.... cost $450 all in my hand, shipping and FFL Transfer. No tax, cause it came from out of state. I understant that was almost a shotgun deal, though... Cabelas have one or two (one new, one used, last I was there), both with 7 inch barrel. You might drop in and handle them for a while. I think their price is around $700.... one has a cheap scope on it. I inspected both pretty closely, as I was looking for one myself.

I seem to recall someone on here selling a Smith 629, maybe prelock, five or six inch barrel, in .44 Mag... can't remember the price, you might have a wander in our own classified handgun section. Smith do make a goood gun, no question. But it seems the Ruger is the stout one. If you want it around for your great-grandkids to finish wearing out, that might be the one.

Another fine revolver to check out is the now discontinued Dan Wesson. Absolutely the accuracy king of revolvers, they had a dedicated Silhoutte following and feature interchangable barrels. I have both a 6in and a 10in for mine. Easily found on www.Gunbroker.com, they are reasonably priced, most are in excellent shape, and they do not break.

You should try to handle each model before you buy. S&W, Ruger and Dan Wesson all make a great revolver. My personal preference would be a S&W Model 29 with 5 inch barrel. A DW would be a very close second. If your primary interest is hunting then a Ruger would be the best choice because of the versatility in loads it well digest. If you want to target shoot look at the DW, the most accurate of the three, but the S&W is the sexiest.

Screw it, buy all three, I did.

Madcratebuilder is right. Personally, I like the Dan Wesson the best for SA/DA, but they are all good pistols. I'm a bit more partial to the Single Action Ruger .44s. Either way, be warned, they can addictive as all get out.

I previously owned a Smith and Wesson 629 and am also in the market for a new .44 magnum. I have found that the Ruger revovers tend to run about $100 less than the smiths. The older Ruger Redhawks look very similar to the Smiths with a half underlug on the barrel. They do have a much larger top strap and frame so they are capable of accepting the heavier loads without fear of damaging them. I have always liked the Smith and Wessons but they are very expensive these days, unless you find a used one.

Haven't shot the Taurus, DW or S&W, but have shot both the Super Redhawk and Super Blackhawk.

The Super Redhawk fit in my hand better and recoil seemed to be less which may be just me, however with the frame being heavier and the larger grip it seems to make sense.

The Super Blackhawk was nice, however was not as quite as comfortable for me. However that didn't stop me from buying a blackhawk in 45LC :) As many have said one advantage is I can load up somewhat hotter loads and have not had any issues.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck I am sure you will be happy with whatever you go with.

Also check out:

Outdoorstrader.com

has some great deals and they are in Oregon -

Hah, went there, found something interesting, tried to "respond" to ad, "cannot complete". Tried again, same thing.

Figured I'd create an account,
cannot complete", link to click HERE to solve problem. Back to same screen, filled it out, "cannot complete" OK, time for help;

Found the CONTACT US link, filled out another email, "cannot complete'

gave up, can't get anywhere. Cookies accepted, no idea.. no more time to waste, either. Tooo bad... looks interesting.

The older Ruger Redhawks look very similar to the Smiths with a half underlug on the barrel. They do have a much larger top strap and frame so they are capable of accepting the heavier loads without fear of damaging them. I have always liked the Smith and Wessons but they are very expensive these days, unless you find a used one.

The Ruger is thicker because it is investment cast, not forged steel like the S&W. It has to be thicker to achieve the same structural strength. That being said the Ruger does handle hot loads better than the Smith, but there is little reason to exceed factory loads.

Gonna go to the Hillsboro show today & have a look around....I think I have decided to go with the Tarus Raging Bull 44, but we'll see. I need to handle a few, i have done a bit of lookin around on the internet & taken u guys comments into consideration, and am going with a buddy who has owned a few different wheel guns.... really like the Dan Wesson too. Those are the 2 i am hoping to find.... Thanx for all the info too, really appreciate the help! This is one of the only sites on the internet that i post on, that doesnt have a bunch of douchebags, lol....Great site, glad to be a part of it!

Gonna go to the Hillsboro show today & have a look around....I think I have decided to go with the Tarus Raging Bull 44, but we'll see. I need to handle a few, i have done a bit of lookin around on the internet & taken u guys comments into consideration, and am going with a buddy who has owned a few different wheel guns.... really like the Dan Wesson too. Those are the 2 i am hoping to find.... Thanx for all the info too, really appreciate the help! This is one of the only sites on the internet that i post on, that doesnt have a bunch of douchebags, lol....Great site, glad to be a part of it!

haha...bubblegumbags....thats not what i posted, but i am DEFINATLY gonna start using that...

I like the Rugers as they feel better in my hand. You should try them all and see which one fits your hand best. But, think about why you want the gun and what your intended use is. I say this as I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. It is a great gun for punching paper or other targets. It is very accurate and is a fun gun to shoot, and it can be scoped if you want to hunt with it. However, I am thinking about trading it in for a smaller D/A
4" or 5" 44 that I could holster and carry in the woods if I wanted to.
So, think down the road, what you want to use the gun for. I know I will loose a few bucks when I trade mine for something else.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top