JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
45/110 > 45/90 > 45/70 > .475 Linebaugh > .480 Ruger

I'm kinda scratching my head on that one...

I once went to a gun show and saw a cute little S&W gun (turned out to be an I-frame), it was obviously a .38 S&W Special. Anyway took it home and went to load it, dropped the first cartridge in and it stood proud of the cylinder about a tenth of an inch. I took a closer look at the rollmark and it said, ".38 S&W"! It turns out that .38 S&W is NOT the same family as the .38 S&W Special. So this is wrong too:
.357 max > .357 mag > .38 S&W spl. > .38 S&W

Instead, it goes like this:
.357 max > .357 mag > .38 S&W spl. > .38 Long Colt > .38 Short Colt

Anyway I have bought one box of .38 S&W and shot a few, then put the little thing in the gun safe.

Also, given that these headspace on the case mouth, how can these work?

9x23 < 9x21 < 9x19 (aka 9mm Para or Luger) < 9x17 (aka 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, .380acp)

Taurus Judge line of pistols/shotgun and S&W Governor pistol shoot both .45LC and .410 shotshell... yes, interchangeably. Judge comes in 2 1/2" cylinder and 3" cylinder both will take .45LC. The Governor will also shoot .45ACP with moon clips.

A good 1911 or Glock can shoot 45 auto or 45 super( with the heavier spring). With the Rowland kit they'll shoot 45auto,45+p, 45 super and 460 rowland.

Also, given that these headspace on the case mouth, how can these work?

9x23 < 9x21 < 9x19 (aka 9mm Para or Luger) < 9x17 (aka 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, .380acp)

It would rely on the extractor holding the cartridge in place for the firing pin to strike the primer.

My brother in law, who isn't a gun guy, bought a box of 38 Supers to shoot out of his 38 Special revolver. (Smith & Wesson K Frame) Since the Super is semi-rimmed, it would shoot them, but the extractor didn't pull the empties all of the time. That's when he asked me about it. I gave the rest of the box to @PlayboyPenguin. :)

never question the ability of an OP to go sideways in the first sentence
msm_patches-71.jpg

RRBRestore-ChamberOpensm.jpg

My restored 1873 Remington #1 Sporter had the barrel lined so we could save the 28" tapered, full octagon barrel. We chambered it for .38spc/.357mag, since it started out in life as a .38 Long rimfire. Somewhere along the way (about 1910) somebody "converted" it to center fire by drilling a new hole in the breech block and bending the firing pin to hit a centered primer. My guess is they were shooting .38spc in it. My gunsmith cleaned up the breech block and made a new high pressure firing pin for it. With .357mag it has ballistics that are very similar to a .30-30 Win (about 1800 fps muzzle velocity). I like shooting .38spc in it for plinking, and that makes the experience pretty close to what it was when it was a .38 Long rimfire.

Can't remember the maker of it but read about a rare revolver made in the 90s by a smaller outfit in Texas call the medusa that could fire anything in the .38 9mm family including .380 .357 mag .38 special .38 s&w 9mm largo ect. Very cool but looks like they cost a pretty penny in the rare event ones for sale. Would love to see someone revamp this design and start producing then again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top